Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I know tyres are a constant debate on here (Flash, maybe we should add another section for them under Technical; tyres do come up a lot
) but I've got some questions I'd love to get your opinions on.

Right, my front tyres are up for replacing soon. My original plan was to get some winters fitted (believe me, I need them where I live or I can literally get snowed in for weeks at a time) and then in the spring get a couple of alloys fomr a scrappy and get some summers put on and switch between from then on. The condition on my nfs tyre means I can't wait the three months or so I had hoped. So, my dilema....
<ul>[*]Get some all weathers fitted instead (The Hankook Optimo 4S got good reviews recently and are available at a good price) and just run with those, or[*]Get the winters now and drive them until next spring[/list]

My questions to you guys.
  1. Do winter tyres have to be fit on all 4 corners? A colleague who suffers worse weather than I on his commute only ever has the front two done on his Corsa and seems to do alright.
  2. Are all season worth it, or are they just runbish in all seasons? I've read lots of contradictionary advice online but don't know anyone who's ever ran all season to ask.
  3. Will I be alright with the winter tyres on now?

The winters I'd specc'd were likely to be Dunlop SP WinterSport 4D (or 3D), the summers would likely be Yoko C Drives.Sorry for the long post!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
what size rims, a decent non-budget all weather tireshould do the job, worst comes to the worst get some tire chains (there dirt cheap this time of year too).

·
Registered
311 Posts
You wont need chains if you drive sensibily Just one question Mr Flash, whats that max size of rim and width i can fit under a standard Note Wheel Arch?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Flash, they'll be 185/65 15"

I've considered snow chains / socks before, but to be honest they're just a faff I could do without when I'm suited up for work. I've done a little more digging and the options are;

Vredestein Quatrac 3 @ £60ish each
Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons @ £70ish each
Hankook Optimo 4s @ £55ish each

When your talking an extra £10-15 each, it's buttons in the scheme of things really. I know on Honest John the Quatracs are held in high regard. I think I just need to start ringing around for quotes now.

And Greenplane, sensible or not, we get stuck if it snows; we're fine on fresh snow, but once it's frozen over night or compacted down we're screwed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
No wer are not its how you drive how you press the loud peddle, and for me ive drivin in deep fresh snow and conpacted with a covering of ice up hill an down dale.Plus mines an Auto too

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
greenplane said:
No wer are not its how you drive how you press the loud peddle, and for me ive drivin in deep fresh snow and conpacted with a covering of ice up hill an down dale.Plus mines an Auto too
Sorry old bean, I have to disagree with you. This isn't about being on the open road, this is about getting off the farm track where I live onto the open road.

It's a soft incline with a slight dog leg curve, followed by an and increase in the angle of attack and a sharp 90 degree turn to the left, taking you onto a narrow railway access bridge. Take it too quick to get the momentum up and you hit a lot of sandstone wall (seen it done
). Go too slow and you can't clear the dog leg.

I've been here four years and eveytime it snows badly it's only a matter of time before the problems start.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Look im not going to get in to this crappy arguement again , try 2011 winter in Clowne South yorks, and it was 6" deep snow with ice over the top and my car had no worries as others in their 4X4 were stuck, therefore I think I know what Im talking about Ok!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
greenplane said:
Look im not going to get in to this crappy arguement again , try 2011 winter in Clowne South yorks, and it was 6" deep snow with ice over the top and my car had no worries as others in their 4X4 were stuck, therefore I think I know what Im talking about Ok!!!!!!!!!
As do I.

6" deep snow with ice on top actually provides an additional source of friction; it's not actually ice as most would understand it, as at this stage it is actually less dense than normal water as the water forms into hexagonal structures (ice is typically amongst its most dense at 4 degrees C, but that's another lesson for another day). Although still a little contentious, the theory of "friction heating" goes someway to explaining how when ice is exerted to pressure it releases the trapped water molecules and therefore sees a reduction in the level of "slippiness" one expects from ice.

None of which bears no consequence to you not having a clue as to the location of my dwelling or the issues faced by me and my neighbours in poor weather. You are entitled to your opinion, and I actually agree with you that driving style is the most contributory factor in poor driving conditions, but unfortunately physics will overcome at some point. Hence you leaving stranded AWD (probably not 4WD) cars in the snow which almost certainly had wide fitting summer low profiles on.

That is all.

Edited for typos

Edited by: Shindig

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi,

Interesting question and something i have also been pondering. A friend fitted toyosomethingor other all seasons to his rear drive toyota emina and it is brilliant,unstoppable. it was underivable in the snow before he fitted them as it would not move. now its brilliant. he has even driven across a field by mistake when it was over afootdeep in snow and had no problem. he uses them all year and he is expecting them to wear a little quicker during the summer but said we dont get hot enough for long enough to worry about using them in the summer. although full winter tyres will be even softercompoundand may wear a lot more in the summer.

I would fit them to all four wheels as you will find that when driving in coldweatherthe rears will have less grip than the front and may cause a spin but only if you drive like a loony.

also if you have a full set of summer and winter the you should get twice the life out of each set as you will only use them half as much, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheer Olly, those points are the ones I was wondering; two sets would be ideal, but a tad expensive when I put on the cost of the alloys. And my annual milage in the Note means I'll probably get rid of the car before they're worn out! If I ddin't need to get my fronts replaced now, I'd have gone down this route as the cost would be spread out.

I think I'll go all season at the front and then match them up when the backs need to be done but rotate and put new ones at the front and the part worn at the back).

At least that way I'll end up with 4 matching tyres (eventually!).

·
Registered
52 Posts
i wonder what the smallest wheel size is that can be fitted, might be worth hunting around breakers for some micra or almera steels. i dont know how things like offsets work and what they need to be but someone here will know. i might be worth finding out what other nissan wheels fit a note and get scrappy hunting.

I dont know what your budget is but halfords are doing 4 alloys with tyres for £400, I thought about getting these and putting all seasons nearer the time and keeping the ones they come with in the garage along with the original wheels and tyres which seem to have very thin paint....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be honest, there's enough Notes in scrap yards I can acquire a set of alloys for not that much, and that way there's no issue with insurance; apparently they hit you for a fee for "modifying" your car with steels and winter tyres!

I don't mind spending on tyres at all, I've never bought budget ditch finders on any car I've ever had. I just don't think it's an area to skimp on. It's really just about the initial outlay, it would've been nice to phase them in, if you know what I mean rather than buying all together in one go.

·
Registered
311 Posts
CBAAll iwanted to know from Some one who knows (not in Newcastle)
Is what is the max Dia i can fit to my Note (Tekna 1.6 Auto 58' Plate)
As 16" are a Pain For me and would like different wheels that dont Shrugg their tyres off all the time
Therefore would like 17" or above with say 205/45/17" which are easier to find (for Me) than crappy contis or Bridgestones.
As for the Snow thing and Location, if youre careful with your driving style and dont spin the wheels, you shoud be able to get out of most situations, try driving a citroen 2cv they will go through anything, and please no more clever people who always want to have the last word on this.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
greenplane said:
CBA
All iwanted to know from Some one who knows (not in Newcastle)

As 16" are a Pain For me and would like different wheels that dont Shrugg their tyres off all the time

Therefore would like 17" or above with say 205/45/17" which are easier to find (for Me) than crappy contis or Bridgestones.

As for the Snow thing and Location, if youre careful with your driving style and dont spin the wheels, you shoud be able to get out of most situations, try driving a citroen 2cv they will go through anything, and please no more clever people who always want to have the last word on this.

Try this thread;

http://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/forum/nice-wheels-for-my-note_topic127_page1.html?KW=offset

Another thread regarding 17" tyre sizes;

http://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/forum/winter-tyres_topic13.html?KW=offset

HTH

As for not expecting me to reply to my own thread, that's a little rich my friend. At the end of the day I have done nothing but agree with you, yet you appear disgruntled by my replies. Just let's agree to agree and move on, okay? It's not the sort of board to have crap like this going on.

Edited by: Shindig

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
greenplane said:
CBA
All iwanted to know from Some one who knows (not in Newcastle)

Definitely NOT trying to have the last word but if you fit 17" don't forget to notify your insurance ccompany (it might be worth a call before you buy them) as they may well jack the premium as you are fitting 'low profiles'.

There's a useful guide to offsets and bores at:

http://www.alloywheels.com/Fitment_Guide/Nissan

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nigel B said:
Definitely NOT trying to have the last word but if you fit 17" don't forget to notify your insurance ccompany (it might be worth a call before you buy them) as they may well jack the premium as you are fitting 'low profiles'.

There's a useful guide to offsets and bores at:

http://www.alloywheels.com/Fitment_Guide/Nissan
That's a cracking little find, very handy.

Although I'm happy with my boring old 15" Malachites for now!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
No problem, I used it to get an alternative to the horrible rubber-band-thin 17" alloys on my daughter's Seat Ibiza (they were on it when she purchased it) as the crashing ride was killing her back. Replaced with 15" and deeper profile rubber from a Golf and it's like a different car.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
USE WITH CAUTION I have just noticed that the link I posted shows the Note with a 4 x 100 PCD (Pitch Centre Diameter). My 2012 Note NTec+has five studs so a 4x100 alloy would be useless.

Apologies for any confusion.Edited by: Nigel B

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
5 stud on a 1.6 thats unusual can you post a pic or 2 please

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Problem with these forums is no matter how we intend to write it , to everyone else out there what ever we write can be read differently by others, just like texts really.Im one of those people that likes to see a persons face and eyes when i talk to them so on here I find it impossible to work out the way people intended thier threads, so i do get it wrong on a regular basis, so sorry Shindig!!!
As for ride, Ive already two slipped discs in my back and therefore my ride cant get any worse, Im just so p***ed off about the poor quality paint finish and the tyre slip.
Im told by a tyre expert that the inner rim edge of the Alooy wheel is quite narrow , therefore depending on the manufacture of the tyre and the way you drive, (sedately, normal or fast and furious) depends on whether the tyres show deflation or not.
As you well have all read im not a sedate driver nor normal either, therefore i fall in to the problem area of trye movement which equates to deflation!!!!!
Thus the reasoning for larger rims, more tyre selection and more rim selection.
Though I have seen a great productfrom Italy to enable you to protect your rims, and its easy to fit, plus im in negotiations to supply them here.
Lots of love and kisses mike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts