Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I went down the local petrol station/shop, for a loaf of bread and some milk. While I was there I thought I may as well top the car up with diesel(half full tank).

I proceeded to top it up, and headed in to get the bread & milk. I arrived at the counter and said........'‚¬25 of diesel, and this stuff.'.

He said....'Don't you mean petrol'.

As the blood drained from my whole body, I looked over to the pumps and realized my mistake.

I phoned my farmer mate, who turned up an hour later to tow me home. I paid for the fuel I really didn't want.

Anyway......my mate didn't bring a tow rope, so back into the shop I went and bought a 100ft washing line. I quadrupled this up, and hitched it to the cars. We made it home Ok. no probs.

Luckily my Pan Europe Service could get the car to the dealership, but they wouldn't pay for my cock up. Fair enough.

‚¬90 was taken off me for being such an idiot, but that did include, half a tank of DIESEL.

If the chap at the petrol station hadn't said what he did, I think my repair bill would have been somewhat higher.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Half a tank 25 euro

I'm living in the wrong country

At least you didn't wreck the fuel system. A colleague missfuelled a Volkswagen big urban 4wd thingie, like a Honda CRV, forget the name. Anyway he drove it away from the garage, and it stopped , then despite the fuel system being fully purged, and a couple of tankfulls of fresh fuel, it never seemed to run properly after that, so he had to get rid.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Don't get me started on fuel prices. Glad to see the usual routine 'cover-up' investigation has started again.

I was speaking to a friend (actually the mother of one of my daughter's friends) who is an english professor in Brunei. I don't know how we got aroung specifically to fuel costs but she was outraged at the increasein fuel prices there recently.

It's..........................29 pence per litre!!!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Best thing todo with the wrong fuel is dont run the car a bit of derv in petrol isnt a big deal but petrol in a derv thing tend to go bang

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flash22 said:
Best thing todo with the wrong fuel is dont run the car a bit of derv in petrol isnt a big deal but petrol in a derv thing tend to go bang

At least I had the good sense not to start it up, or even turn the engine over.

In the 'old days', before winter additives were put into diesel, is was common practice to add a small amount of petrol to the derv to prevent waxing. But those old engines were far less refined than today's diesel units. (So don't do it).

I still get paranoid when I fuel the car. I double, double check. that I have the right fuel going in the tank.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Boysie said:
In the 'old days', before winter additives were put into diesel, is was common practice to add a small amount of petrol to the derv to prevent waxing. But those old engines were far less refined than today's diesel units. (So don't do it).

I worked in the Czech Republic for three months (damn, it's cold) and the truck drivers used to light a small bonfire under their engines to prevent waxing and keep the diesel liquid as the 'non-additive' diesel fuel was cheaper.

Weekly, there would be a report of a driver who had lit too big a bonfire.............sadly, most of these guys used to sleep in their cabs.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
As a kid in the 60s I can still remember seeing trucks parked up in the snow with a fire going under the fiel tank to stop the wax from forming

1 - 7 of 7 Posts