Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Note has developed an intermittant annoying habit of not wanting to release the key from the ignition. Usually when I stop, handbrake on, gear selector in P(ark) and turn off ther ignition.. there are a couple of plinketyplink noises and the key will turn fully and I can pull it out. BUT.. on occasions.... I get a plinkety, but no plink, the key wont turn that last quarter turn and so it wont release. I have to start the car again, select D(rive) then back to P(ark) and then engine off... and if Im lucky (or I might have to try this two or three times more) the key will turn fully and release.

Im aware it is an interlock to stop me trying to remove the key while in Drive, etc. But does anyone know what switch, sensor, or thingamygig might not be working properly even though Im parking up "by the book" when this problem occurs ???

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Someone had this problem before, and posted on here.

I had a look at the manual, and there is a bowden cable running from the gear selector that pulls a plate in the lock to get the key out. It shouldn't go plink plink, mine is silent.
I do get a noise at the gear selector when I press the brake to get it out of P, but that is an electrical solenoid.
Have a look at the thread:

www.noteownersclub.co.uk/forum/cant-remove-key-from-ignition_topic609_post3994.html?KW=bowden#3994

He never told us what happened though..

Edited by: flash22

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
He never told us what happened though..
iirc he did say inanother thread. the battery had a fault, once thaychanged it was sorted

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I discovered tonight that holding in the gate release button on the gear shifter even slightly will stop the key coming out. It won't turn fully to the remove position.

So the interlock is definitely mechanical in nature.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm.... sounds like it needs another looking at, but I can feel my wallet getting thinner the more I think about it. Thanks folks anyhow :)

Ohh... P.S. ... the "plinkety plink" thing?? Errr? Forget that one, its not related and... I found out what that specific noise was
Its the sound of my mobile disconnecting Bluetooth at time of switching off the ignition

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tommo56 said:
Ohh... P.S. ... the "plinkety plink" thing?? Errr? Forget that one, its not related and... I found out what that specific noise was
Its the sound of my mobile disconnecting Bluetooth at time of switching off the ignition

I didn't think you were being literal when explaining it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts