Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I discovered this site about 2 or 3 months ago and visited once or twice. Now I feel guilty that I am registering to ask advice in my 1st post. Well, Ican'tchange that so here goes.

My 1.4n-tec+ is 4-5months old and unfortunately has suffered some car park damage that I will fix soon. Grrrrrr!
Butworse! Today I discovered a crack in my windscreen going down from the top of the screen to the right of the interior mirror,then round the interior mirroralmost horizontally. There is no sign of impact damage and the crack seems to be internal so my worry is that it could be a manufacturing fault.

I've searched online and read a couple of posts that suggest Notes may be prone to this. But there appears to beno discussion of it on this site and I could not find other major references to it elsewhere so maybe not. Is anyone aware ofa problem?

I believe I will be covered by insurance but there will be an excess and am not sure if it will affect my NCB.
Any advice please?

Thank you,
Pete

BTW - I graduated from the Micra to a Note when they were 1st sold in the UK and think they are a fantastic, easy to drive and versatile car. I have had no problems and I always recommendthem when asked.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
welcome to the site...as for the windscreen, if you're fully comp usually you just pay the excess when the nice Autoglass man replaces it, and it shouldn't affect your NCB. Having said that, it's about 20 years since I last had to have a screen replaced (a big rocket went through my VW bus on November 5th) so things may be different now...

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
You can always try taking it to your dealer and see what they can do if you are sure there is no impact damage.

Other than that look at your insurance policy, most have a declared excess for windscreens and it doesn't affect the no claims (but likely your renewal will be a little bit more
)

At least when the nice man from autoglass comes he will make a better job of glueing it in than nissan do, and it won't leak as much as when you got it

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Welcome to the forum Pete.

Can't say that it's something that I have heard of.

Check you policy, it should not affect your NCB.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear all,Thank you for the quick replies - didn't expect that on a Saturday night.
And thank you for the reassurance.
It's probably going to end up as an insurance claim then, but I'll recheck the screen for damage and ask the dealerif he would like to see it......probably not methinks.

I was surprised toread on here about leaks as I've not had any issues with my previous Notes. So rather than fixing a leak my worry would be causing one by changing the screen - and the possibility of the rain sensor having issues afterwards (not sure where this is located).

Thanks again,

Pete

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Don't worry Pete, the autoglass man will use loads of sealer and make sure it doesn't leak.

The rain sensor sticks to the screen behind the mirror. They don't work very well anyway, most people leave the wipers on OFF and operate them manually, again, the autoglass man will know how to sort it.

Do check your policy before you call anyone, as likely autoglass are the only company that your insurance will allow you to use.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A word of warning - you need to contact your car insurers to tell them about the claim and they may well advise/recommend a different windscreen installer to Autoglass. If you insist on using Autoglass either a larger excess could apply or even the full amount.

So check with them first as it recently happened to me, hope this helps

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum,,re your rain sensor I have had a new windscreen fitted to my note ,,the first attempt the rain sensor did not work even though the guy put a new sensor in,, after we had some rain i called the guy and told him the sensor was not working,,he came round and increased the thickness of the membrane and all is working right again and no leaks , hope this helps

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
it only takes a tiny stone to chip in a screen, go over a pot hole or speed hump and it will crack

the screen issue are on notes 58-10 plate, what happens is the screens aren't pressed in to the screen bond properly when installed and/or the lack of bond adhesive

·
Registered
4 Posts
I inherited a couple of stone chips way over on the passenger side on the 09 Note I picked up a couple of weeks ago, thought "lazy bu**er" of the previous owner and called Autoglass out - didn't occur to me to call the insurer, oops. Anyway, they replaced the screen last Thursday, and after a few hours when I went to drive it a crack appeared coming up from the bottom on the passenger side, on the outside as far as I can tell. They are due out again this Thursday, couldn't come up with a reason it had happened. Is the issue possibly the car rather than the fitter?
Edited by: Jax67

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I would say its the fitter as long as you left the car for a few hours so the bond cured a tat and didn't wash the car for 24-48 hours after

·
Registered
360 Posts
Under the "Sale of Goods" act - the item has to be fit for purpose.

Therefore, your windscreen provider and installer are liable to either refund or replace.

Unless they said not to drive car for so many hours?

Keep your invoice and payment docs too.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Can simply be a dodgy screen.

My daughter has a Seat Ibiza and picked up a massive stone chip that could not be filled. Replacement screen was duly fitted only to fail the first time that she drove it. No question from Autoglass who came to her place of work, blamed a defect in the screen, fitted a new one without any problem and gave her a bunch of flowers to apologise for the inconvenience.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had several windscreens replaced under insurance. They usually insist on their preferred installer. Excess is £70 on my current policies. No effect on no claims. Only 1 screen per year though.

Check the work afterwards as I had one who left a gap down the side and it had to be replaced again. Another made the dash area really creaky. It's hit and miss whether you get a good installer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They just said they would do it again, after checking nothing had hit the screen. They said to leave it for an hour, it was about six hours, so certainly not my fault in any way. Hopefully just a dodgy screen then, fingers crossed that this Thursday it will all be sorted.

I have only ever had a windscreen replaced once before, on my beloved old Fiat Multipla - the wind noise with the new screen was terrible, none before, so definitely something weird there, made me a bit worried about getting it done, but I was more worried about driving with stone chips, one of which was already a nice starburst shape.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Thank God screens are laminated now.

In February 1982 (I can remember it like yesterday) my toughened glass screen went in the outside lane of the elevated section of the Westway at 60mph.

Cue punching the screen out, while hitting the hazard lights, while braking and steering as the sleet drove in through the hole. Bloody frightening.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Many years ago a friend stealed himself to punch out the screen if it ever frosted over whist driving.

Sure enough, one winter it happened, punched the screen and bruised his knuckles.

The screen was sound, just covered in snow which slipped down from the roof.

Yes a true story !!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all,Hadn't realised my original post had received so much interest. Very interesting to hear all your experiences.
Well I had my windscreen replaced. It wasn't Autoglass, it was Autowindscreens -the phone bypasses the insurance normal claims process and goes straight to them.
A 1st for me and so far so good but no rain so I trust you guys who say they use loads of mastic. The rain sensor wiper still works too (no rain means 1 very slight shower)
Thanks again for the reassurance and support, it's very much appreciated.
Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts