Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, cant seem to find any mention of this symptom in the threads so here goes....

A tinkling noise occurs for about half a second when I accelerate, whether that be accelerating from still, or accelerating from 20 to 30, or 30 to 40, etc..... essentially when i come to press the pedal and squirt a little more juice in, then of half a second or less I get this wierd noise coming from the engine, tinkling, metal pinging against metal, but otherwise hard to describe (not rhythmic, doesnt tinkle faster as the car speeds up (but then again its gone after half a second or less).

Anyone any ideas?

tia

Tommo

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
shouldn't get pinking in a modern engine running on unleaded...that's usually a result of running on an insufficient octane rated fuel. No doubt one of our resident geniuses will tell me to shut my trunk and give a better explanation

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even if the noise lasts for half a second or less during an acceleration that might last 4 or 5 seconds? Ive never experienced pinking so I wouldnt know it if I heard it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
<div ="">

Pulled this info from Google:-

Introduction

When driving a petrol-engined car, pinking
is a symptom of maladjusted ignition timing, or using
an incorrect grade of fuel.

The ignition timing is responsible for causing a
spark at the correct moment so that the petrol-air
mixture ignites as the piston is on its power stroke.

For maximum power, the explosion should occur when the
piston is as close to the top as possible without actually
being at the top. This means that the mixture is fully
compressed, and the explosion will exert maximum force on the piston.

Pinking occurs when the explosion happens as
the piston is exactly at the top of the stroke; the
crank, connecting rod and piston are all in line.
In this position, the explosion attempts to push the piston and conrod through the crankshaft via the
big end - not a good situation.

Identification

When an engine pinks, there will be a sudden
loss of power and an accompanying noise - a high-pitched pinging rattle rather like a diesel engine on start up.

Allowing pinking to continue can cause serious damage
to the engine very quickly, although the problem is alleviated temporarily by adjusting your driving style.

Remedy

The immediate solution to alleviate the problem is to
drive more conservatively, completely avoiding hard
throttle at low revs. This should get you to a <a href="http://everything2.com/title/service+station" target="_blank">service
station</a> or to your home if you are going to attempt your own repairs.

Assuming you are using the correct grade of fuel, the long-term solution is to retard the ignition timing slightly so that the spark occurs further around the cycle
and the explosion occurs after the piston has passed top dead center. Retarding the timing too far will not cause problems up to a point, but power and efficiency will be lost to some degree.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Unless it's a too low octane fuel being used, which can easily be rectified, looks like you will need someone who knows what it's about.

If it is the fuel try a different brand or garage.

Trust this helps.

·
Registered
151 Posts
is there such thing as an ecu reset for the Note petrols? my 99' almera GTi has this feature..................

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't think you get pinking on a modern car very often, as timing is controlled and adjusted by the engine management. If it's something wrong with the engine I would have thought the engine light would come on on dash. Does it do it when you rev engine while stationery if not it is probably something loose under bonnet. If it does it all the time get ecu read for fault codes. My primera used to weeze n rasp under accelerate due to a loose filter in airborne, took ages to find as no fault registered. Edited by: Coolbusby

1 - 8 of 8 Posts