Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a 2015 Nissan Note E12 last year and the coolant is holding up ok but I'd like to buy a bottle to have around. When I tested it the colour was blue. I did a search but I keep finding conflicting info. Does anyone have a particular one to recommend?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Blue coolant is often just a two year concoction..(but not always).
The E12 should have Nissan L248 GREEN longlife. For peace of mind I'd change all of it, unless you have a service record showing you exactly what's in there. To make things complicated Nissan now currently DO put BLUE longlife in their cars, so you may have that newer stuff but only the records or garage that looked after it can tell you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's very useful to know. I called my garage (the car was previously maintained by the Nissan dealership) and they told me that their records show that they just topped it up but he told me it's THE PINK one! So.. I'm a little worried cause I just checked it again and it's definitely the BLUE! Perhaps they switched it and it was pink before. In any case, they told me that they can check it for me free of charge whenever I need it cause they can test the strength so I don't need to worry about it. He also said that this time of year I would only need to top up with water. So far it's still near max - from the little that I can see cause with this tank is difficult to tell so I think I'll leave it to the experts! Hehe!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Pink... I reckon he was just being sarcastic. However if they topped it up I'd guess it was at least proper Nissan coolant so no need to worry. I'd never top up with plain water personally because over time it will dilute the mixture.

·
Registered
2014 E12 DIG-S Manual
74 Posts
Official lubricant info from Nissan: https://www-europe.nissan-cdn.net/content/dam/Nissan/gb/Ownership/Maintenance repair/NISSAN LUBE CHART 2017.pdf

For passenger cars, Nissan has only two OEM coolants:
L248: Green (The first interval is 60k miles/60 months on Note E12 pre-2015)

L255N: Blue, Longer life than L248 but I don't know exactly the interval. Started to replace L248 on newer Note since 2015.
They are mutual compatible.

As I know, colors are freely decided by each manufacturer. Antifreeze itself is colorless just like water.
But it would be dangerous for the engine if an incompatible type is mixed in.
Therefore, I would go with Genuine one instead of aftermarket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts