Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I noticed this image of a gear lever on the dash. I've looked around the internet and not found an answer. Can anyone enlighten me?

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
The info should be in the car handbook but it's an indicator to tell you when to shift up or down a gear --

SHIFT LEVER INDICATOR (Manual transmission – where fitted)

The shift lever indicator can help to improve the level of environmentally friendly driving. When the up arrow appears, upshifting is recommended.When the down arrow appears, downshifting is recommended.

The up and down arrows only appear when the car is moving.

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
I got one of those, so I put a reader on it.

The answer was.........."I was driver like a knob".:wink::smile_big::smile_big:

·
Registered
102 Posts
The info should be in the car handbook but it's an indicator to tell you when to shift up or down a gear --

SHIFT LEVER INDICATOR (Manual transmission – where fitted)

The shift lever indicator can help to improve the level of environmentally friendly driving. When the up arrow appears, upshifting is recommended.When the down arrow appears, downshifting is recommended.

The up and down arrows only appear when the car is moving.
And just like every other car we have had with such a light its a total load of bollocks. If you were mad enough to obey it you would either destroy the car through a lack of mechanical sympathy or crash whilst looking at the dash instead of the road.

If you do not know when to change gear IMHO you should not be driving. Driving an auto may be an option but if a driver should be so poor as not to appreciate when to change gear they should not be allowed on the road in any car.

·
Registered
259 Posts
And just like every other car we have had with such a light its a total load of bollocks. If you were mad enough to obey it you would either destroy the car through a lack of mechanical sympathy or crash whilst looking at the dash instead of the road.

If you do not know when to change gear IMHO you should not be driving. Driving an auto may be an option but if a driver should be so poor as not to appreciate when to change gear they should not be allowed on the road in any car.
Agreed.

I don't have a Note any more but my current car has one of these, actually going as far as to say which gear it thinks appropriate.

As far as I can see, the only input it uses to make it's decision is engine rpm, and wants you to change up at well under 2000 rpm. This might be ok in some circumstances but other factors such as gradients, traffic and general road conditions such as bends ahead etc are at least as important.

I wish it could be switched off, but I suppose like eco buttons and stop start systems, someone thinks it will help save the planet...

·
Registered
651 Posts
We have a similar one on the dash of the van at work , it has numbers and an up or down arrow.
It gets totally ignored !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I drive by revs and do not need an indicator but was unsure of the Icon.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Rolls Royce has a model that with the aid of the sat nav it changes to the correct gear for you, so if your driving somewhere new, and you come to a bend, the sat-nav tells the gearbox what gear to be in, especially after the bend there is a steep incline, its in the correct gear for the incline, how clever is that !!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes my wife has one on her Hyundai i10. It is supposed to tell you to change gear for the best economy. On a steep hill it wanted me to change to up to 3rd gear, the car would have juddered to a halt !! Not bad to use on a level road and if you are like my wife she forgets there is a fifth gear, at least it reminds her.!

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
The only time my Mrs got into 5th gear, was when I was sitting next to her and told her to change gear, you have to remember it was a diesel, and lower revving than a petrol engine.
When we got the Polo with the DSG she was surprised when she got too 40MPH it was in 7th gear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts