Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this site and new to the Note. Not had a fantastic start with my Note, and attending garage on a monthly basis, but at least it came with a 12 month warranty, so is covered!! As the garage now probably dread my call, thought I would post my question here instead. I have two horses and pay a fortune for transport, but saw a Note pulling a trailer the other day and this got me thinking. I have a horse and a pony and do not always take them away together, just would be good to have the means to transport one of them myself. My note is a 2007, 1.5 diesel. Can anyone advise if this is possible?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
You will find the information in your handbook iirc it's also on the sticker on the drivers door pillar

Also It depends when you got your licence to what you can tow, the regs changed this year again iirc if you have the wrong licence and stopped while towing its 3-6 points plus thay can give you another 3-6 points for invalid insurance , impound the car and trailer

·
Registered
23 Posts
As flash22 rightly says, you need to check your licence entitlement: see
http://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driving-licence-rules-and-what-you-can-tow

but a quick glance at a couple of sites suggests that diesel Notes are limited to a gross trailer weight of 900kg (less if unbraked). Since the smallest Ifor Williams horsebox has an unladen weight of 767kg, I'm afraid the Note is a long way short.

Sorry!

Kevin

·
Registered
276 Posts
When I used to compete in rallies the police occasionally had a 'blitz' on towing vehicles and trailers.Loads of people who were towing competition cars on flat-bed trailers using large saloons or estates as the towing vehicle were deemed to be illegal. Fortunately on most occasions the offenders got away with some advice and/or an informal word or two

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Maximum towing weight, on the hitch, is 55Kg or about 110lbs. As your horse is able to move forwards and backwards by small amounts. 55Kg is not a lot to exceed, and render the car unstable and dangerous.

That's even if the Note could pull it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ok as you didnt put my last comment on Ill put this one down which is the law:-Check your licence as to what you can tow, as there as a lf of people out there under the missconception that once they have a car licence they can tow any trailer Wrong.
<er><h1>1. Driving licence rules and what you can tow</h1></er>

The rules on what you can tow are different depending on when you passed your driving test.<h2>Licences issued from 19 January 2013</h2>

From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:<ul>[*]small trailers weighing no more than <abbr title="kilograms">750kg</abbr>[*]trailers weighing more than <abbr title="kilograms">750kg</abbr>, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer isn't more than <abbr title="kilograms">3,500kg</abbr>[/list]

If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than <abbr title="kilograms">750kg</abbr>, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than <abbr title="kilograms">3,500kg</abbr>, you'll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.

You'll then be able to tow trailers up to <abbr title="kilograms">3,500kg</abbr>.<h2>Licences held from 1 January 1997</h2>

If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can drive either:<ul>[*]a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500 kilograms (kg) Maximum Authorised Mass (<abbr title="Maximum Authorised Mass">MAM</abbr>) towing a trailer of up to <abbr title="kilograms">750kg</abbr> <abbr title="Maximum Authorised Mass">MAM</abbr> (with a combined weight of up to 4,250kg in total)[*]a trailer over <abbr title="kilograms">750kg</abbr> <abbr title="Maximum Authorised Mass">MAM</abbr> as long as it is no more than the unladen or ""˜kerb' weight of the towing vehicle (with a combined weight of up to <abbr title="kilograms">3,500kg</abbr> in total)[/list]<div ="application-notice info-notice">

For anything heavier you need to take a category B+E driving test.
<h2>Licences held before 1 January 1997</h2>

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes <abbr title="Maximum Authorised Mass">MAM</abbr>.

This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it's being used on the road.

You also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over <abbr title="kilograms">750kg</abbr> <abbr title="Maximum Authorised Mass">MAM</abbr>.
Just thought id let you all know As i Drive for a Living therefore I am classed as a professional Driver and have just completed My CPC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts