Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car - DIG-S Tekna. When I take my foot off the throttle to change up gear there is a loud phut like noise from the engine. Seems to occur mainly in low gears (eg first to second) and gets less of an issue once engine warms up. Any ideas? Car is new and has done less than 250 miles.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Its prob related to the supercharger try changing up a bit later up the rev band, the 1.2 superchargedis designed to rev so you get the peak charge (boost) pressure
as above take it back to the dealer if your not happy (like quite a few E12 owners have)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car - DIG-S Acenta premium. When I take my foot off the throttle to change up gear there is a loud phut like noise from the engine. It seems to occur mainly in low gears (eg first to second) and gets less of an issue once the engine warms up. I had my service done 8 month ago with Kwik Fit and I have this car for about 2 years now and never had any problem except this which started a week after I did the service. please help me to find out what is this noise coming from. Any ideas? Car has done less than 18000 miles.
thank you

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I wouldn't trust "Kwik fit past fitting tyres and balancing them.

You see the thing here is back in July 2014, Chris from Surrey never came back and told the forum the out come of his return to the garage, (thanks Chris from Surrey).
So now we have another member with a phut sound 5 years after the first enquiry, and nobody is still any the wiser?

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes, my mistake to take the car there to service as it was tempting case of the £120 offer for full servicing. is it worth to take it to Nissan dealer this time for service to find where the noise is coming from as it seems like no one knows.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
If it's out of warranty (likely unless it's a 2016/2017 E12 Note) then keep it well away from a main dealer.

Find a good independent to read the codes and take the appropriate remedial action.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
A local Vauxhall dealer who also was a Nissan dealer, but that side lost it's Nissan dealership, are charging £87.00 for a full service, which knocks your Kwik Fit price into a cocked hat.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Kwik fit are great for mot's too.
That is, if you fancy 4 new shock absorbers, 4 new tyres, new brake discs and pads all round, plus a full exhaust system for good measure.
Nothing short of a grand lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
In the mid 1990's, kwikfit were doing a deal for an oil change, if you bought tyres. The wife had bought 4 tyres, my wife paid a few quid for the oil change.

On her way home, the oil light came on.....she phoned quickfit, they said drive it back. On the way there, the engine seized. By the time I got there she was in tears, I looked under the car, and no oil filter. I looked at the trail of oil back up the road. And low and behold, there was the oil filter in the road.

They had fitted the wrong oil filter.....non metric thread. It worked loose and dumped the oil. The upshot was, a full recon engine, at the expense of kwikfit, plus a hire car for a week.

That was the first and last time I ever used them.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Don't ask a tyre fitter to change your oil for you, especially a Kwik fit Fitter :wink:.

Myself, going back a few years I had a new Ford XR2I, and one of the ball joints had wear, so I took it in to a Ford dealer and they fitted a new track rod end. the Mrs collected it and when I got home said "The steering felt funny and could hear tyre squeal when going round a slight bend". When I went out to look, there was a trail of rubber on the drive. I phoned them up to come and collect the car as the tyre on that side was completely bald :surprise:.
It transpired that not only had the guy not done the tracking, but it was a part from a normal Fiesta. They don't know how the Mrs with the kids in the back got home safely. They put on the correct part, put on two new tyres, and both the so called technician and the storeman got the bullet. One for issuing the wrong part, and the technician for letting a car out on the road in such an unsafe condition.
In my mind it was the correct decision on the garages managers.
I know this is true as the storeman lived in my village. Not a happy chappy :crying: .

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
I bought a set of brake pads from Halfords. My Car was Vauxhall Cavaliet CDi, auto. 1985 jobby, I think. I asked a salesman what pads I should buy....he looked through their catalogue, and gave the pads. I double checked the numbers on the pads and catalogue, so I was a happy chappie for almost a day.

The brakes were terrible, soft pedal, and the alloy wheels covered in brake dust. I drove it back the next day, and argued the toss with them, as they couldn't have been the right pads.

They were adamant they were right, so I said .."f' ing well drive drive it then". The bloke came back with a face like he'd seen a ghost. I took took a front wheel off, and looked at the pads....they were half worn away.
They finally admitted they couldn't be right, so suggested that they give me some pads for an Astra GTE. So off I went with these pads in hand, fitted them and they were brilliant.
The error was the first set were for solid discs, but my car had vented discs, same as the Astra GTE.

Compensation was a full refund, and some screenwash and car polish, and on the way out I grabbed some Alloy wheel cleaner and waved at the manager. He just shook his head, and waved me away.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Past memories you never forget lol.
I've found Euro car parts are reasonably reliable with their reg number database for part matching. But i always compare items very carefully before fitting just incase.
There are often so many variants throughout a cars production.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts