Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We have a 2009 1.6 petrol Note with air con. The auxiliary belt is squealing on damp mornings at start up. I have ordered a new belt and will set about changing that when I have some free time.
I’m aware that my car has 2 belts. One runs the alternator and air con and the other runs the water pump. I’ve found / ordered the longer alternator and air con belt but I can’t find anything on line for the water pump belt. I’ve not looked at the state of the belt yet but we’ve had the car for a number of years now and we’ve not changed the belts, so they could probably do with it. Is there an expectation that I should change the water pump at the same time? The only time I’ve seen the belt for sale has been as a kit with a water pump. I’m loathed to change the water pump as it’s working fine.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Smiler.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Well mate, you wouldn't go far wrong in getting a Haines manual to give a comprehensive view and explanation of the belts.
The alternator (auxiliary belt) that's an easy change for a decent home mechanic.
Whilst the water pump works fine, it would be worthwhile to replace it at 9 years old.. 😉

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well mate, you wouldn't go far wrong in getting a Haines manual to give a comprehensive view and explanation of the belts.
The alternator (auxiliary belt) that's an easy change for a decent home mechanic.
Whilst the water pump works fine, it would be worthwhile to replace it at 9 years old.. 😉
I’ve got the Haynes manual. It’s about as much use as a chocolate fire guard for this. There is very little detail unfortunately. I don’t recall reading anything about changing the water pump at any sort of interval. So I’m assuming you can’t buy the water pump belt without buying the actual water pump?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Ok, but if nowt else the manual will give you the correct torque settings.
I'd guess you could buy the belt separately from a motor factors.
I'd try euro car parts they are hard to beat generally.
The water pump isn't a scheduled change and i guess you can leave it till it inevitably leaks or squeals lol.(It may well never fail) but it's a common fail on cars a decade or so old.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The 1.6 only has one belt. (the 1.4 has 2) It sort of drives the water pump on the flat side of the belt. The whole set-up looks very dodgy, but it manages to work after a fashion, just squeals and shrieks occasionally. Changing it involves jacking up the car and breaking off most of the plastic rivets that hold the watershield on under the wing, so get a few spares.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, but if nowt else the manual will give you the correct torque settings.
I'd guess you could buy the belt separately from a motor factors.
I'd try euro car parts they are hard to beat generally.
The water pump isn't a scheduled change and i guess you can leave it till it inevitably leaks or squeals lol.(It may well never fail) but it's a common fail on cars a decade or so old.
I have been onto both Euro car parts and GSF and entered my Reg. It comes back with 2 options, one for A/C and the other without. I cannot find anywhere that sells the water pump belt.
The 1.6 only has one belt. (the 1.4 has 2) It sort of drives the water pump on the flat side of the belt. The whole set-up looks very dodgy, but it manages to work after a fashion, just squeals and shrieks occasionally. Changing it involves jacking up the car and breaking off most of the plastic rivets that hold the watershield on under the wing, so get a few spares.

View attachment 1144
Thank you. I had this discussion on a Facebook group and I said no matter how hard I looked, I couldn’t see a second belt. I assumed I would get a better view once I had taken the wheel and trim off. Where did you get that diagram?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Скачать литературу is what you want, it is on the right, next to what looks like the front page of a workshop manual. Just open the page in Chrome and use the translate function.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts