Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

its my wifes 06 note. just discovered a LOT of water (inches deep) in both the rear passenger footwell and also the well where the spare wheel goes. drained it and currently trying to dry it out but its the wrong time of the year for it.

mates have suggested the door seals, but my gut feeling is the rear wiper tube, as none comes out (well just a dribble if that) when the lever is operated for the rear washer, so im thinking the tube may have come off somewhere? altho saying that, if a dribble comes out then it must be still connected? front washer is fine, just nothing at the back.

ive googled this problem and read about windscreens not being sealed etc, but as it hasnt been replaced i think we can discount that.
ive tried pulling up the carpet a little from the trim and its all soaking under there. wife did the hosepipe test with me sat inside to see if i could see anything but nope. not sure i would anyway from a door seal as itd just run down and enter somewhere else wouldnt it?

im not sure how the washer pipe is routed, or how to access it to inspect it.

would you have any suggestions please?

thank you

·
Registered
957 Posts
It could be a few things to be honest.
Blocked or disconnected air con drain tube.
As you mentioned rear wash pipe could be split.
Leaks at the bulkhead also would cause the issue as the water would run down underneath the carpet and collect at the lowest point.It can run under the carpet as the carpet is not sitting directly on the floor but is raised up slightly.
If you type the issue into the search bar at the top of the page, "search community" you will have lots of posts to wade through ( no pun intended ).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you. ive been looking through them and have a few ideas, but so far im none the wiser. i looked at this manual which includes the washer pipe routing on page 45, but it would appear that its routed along the right hand side, whereas its the left side thats drenched.

ive also taken the high brake light out to look at the gasket but that was inconclusive too. it looked a bit iffy but the inside and all around it was dry....

im now looking at how easy it is to take the back seats out to give me a bit of space to maybe pull the passenger footwell carpet up to keep monitoring.

i totally emptied and dried the spare wheel well and its been chucking it down, so ive looked in there now to see if theres any more water, but its still dry. and also my wife has stated that she never operates the lever for rear washer anyway as its never worked since buying it a few years ago, so it seems unlikely to be that too.

any suggestions based on these findings?

thanks

·
Registered
957 Posts
I would suspect a blocked or disconnected air con drain tube.
Failing that i would start to look for any water marks on the inside of the bulkhead.
Either could explain the water under the rear footwell carpet but not the boot area. Is the tail gate seal in good order ?
As you have "disturbed" the gasket for the high level brake light i would keep aan eye open for water running down the inside of the rear window. If you get any then it will need sealing again. The bit of foam that passes for a gasket on the light is around £18 so silicone sealant seems to be the order of the day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Failing that i would start to look for any water marks on the inside of the bulkhead.
sorry, not very good with cars as you can probably see, but what exactly is the bulkhead?

I would suspect a blocked or disconnected air con drain tube.
is this easy to check? i have no idea where this tube would be.....

thank you.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The bulkhead is the "wall" between the passenger compatrment and the engine bay.
The air con drain tube runs down the inside of the bulge that your feet are next to when sat in the front of the car. Sorry i cannot remember if it's passenger or driver side. Use the search function at top of page, there are other posts on this. If i remember right, it's a bit of a pain to get to. They block up with crud or just simply come away from the fitting.The tube itself should drain underneath the car somewhere inline with the pedal area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the bulkheads right at the front then and the air con dumps by the pedals? in that case id be fairly confident thats not the culprit, it seems too far away from the wet areas in the rear footwell and boot. altho you seem to think that may be possible still? its actually booked into a garage to look at this problem in a week or so, ill tell the mechanic what your suspicions are and ask him to look, as i dont have any ramps and from what you say its a bit of a pain to check.

ive just checked the boot after yesterdays rain and theres a trickle running down into the well from the rear right hand corner (as you look down on it), but i cant work out where its actually coming from. also there was quite a heavy downpour and it is just a trickle so im not sure that it would be enough to fill the well with a few inches of water, even after a few months, but you never know.

ive seen the pics in the other thread on here and im going to get some external silicone sealant and start going round the areas shown in those photos, hopefully this week.

are the rear seats easy to remove to take the rear footwell carpet up, or is that too much of a faff? id like to be able to see it clearly to get some idea of where its coming in, its difficult with just a wet carpet.

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
by the way, these are the pics of the high brake light..... its wet, but then again its sposed to be if its stopping water? its whether or not any was getting past it thats the question. would the best thing be to squidge a load of silicone all around it and push it back on?

thanks

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If you glue it on with silicon, you will never get it off again to change the bulb without breaking it (well I suppose you could cut the silicon with cord or something)

It needs glueing on with a non hardening gasket sealer like Stag. (over what is left of the gasket)

Or you can change the bulb for an LED and hope it never needs changing again, but I couldn't find an LED bright enough, the sidelight bulbs fit but are dim.

A new gasket is horrendusly fantastically stupidly expensive too :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive ordered some visbella, as per the recommendation in the other thread.

yes it says silicone, but also says for gaskets?

thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive just been trying to access the rear washer pipe to see if theres a blockage anywhere. ive traced it along the right hand side at floor level, i can see it go up through the rubber sheathing in the centre of the hatch, and i can even see it behind the little black sticky label, but how on earth can i disconnect it from the nozzle? (to see if fluid comes out of the end and prove no blockage in the hose?

ive googled and looked for youtube vids, but no joy? theres only a tiny hole behind the nozzle, theres nowhere at all for hands/fingers to fit, so all i can think of is that the nozzle pulls off somehow with the hose still attached and goes back the same way?

thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i found it, by accident really as i removed the high level brake light to silicone it, and found i could access the '90 degree elbow' section. i took that apart and checked it, no problem there. water did come out but slowly (although that may be normal, it just might become higher pressure when it needs to go through the tiny nozzle).
however, it just doesnt really come out of that nozzle, if anything, just a drizzle (so it must be connected, it just doesnt squirt out)

ive just siliconed that light now so ive no appetite to remove it to play around any further behind it, but will the nozzle pull off at all to check the join there?

by the way, i also siliconed the clips at the top where the light clusters clip on. im like a dog with a bone now looking for places where water can get in :D

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for posting, doing my rear break high light this weekend. The seal cost 18quid, so just apply ing silicon ). Hoping it's not compromised by not employing the real thing. May look at closed cell foam strip and apply on top of silicon.🤞🤞🤞🤞

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i also had the car booked in for a mechanic to look at, but he says thatd be what he'd advise anyway so ive cancelled for now and we'll monitor it. he also told me a trick for the door seals (rear footwell water) which i'll pass on to you. apparently spray all the way round them with furniture polish? :D
no idea if itll work but its cheap enough to give it a try :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts