Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a problem with the water in diesel light which comes on too often at the moment. My method of stopping it at the moment is to stop the car and switch off and restart. I have changed the fuel filter and as there are no electrical connections going to the filter I need to know where to look next under the bonnet. I have only had the car about three months and will be changing the boost control solenoid which is causing problems, when it arrives.
many thanks, Alan. The year is 2010.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You don't mention the year of your car.
Mine is a 2009 and does not have the warning light you mention so i have no experience of this issue.
We get it occasionally on the van at work but we just ignore it and it goes away all on it's own.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for that. I should also mention that when it does come on it does affect the acceleration. it can still be driven but really need to sort it out
Thanks, Alan.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Have you had any fault codes read via the OBD11 connection ?
Sounds a bit odd i know but it could be something related that is causing the issue.
All i can find using google is that the fuel is contaminated at source, ie the garage.
I remember once using a local garage that was selling diesel 5p per litre cheaper than my usual garage so i filled up. Within days the red engine light came on and the car would hardly run. I had it emptied and filled with my usual brand and have had no issues since.
I really don't see how you get a warning light for this when there is no electrical connection at the fuel filter ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only get my fuel from either Costco or Esso I will never use supermarket fuel. When I changed the filter I found very little water, minuscule in fact in the filter but as you say there are no electrical connections to it. I've looked on the wiring diagrams in the Haynes Manual but can't find and mention of some thing that would light it. In fact it does not even show the bulb. As regards using the fault codes until I change this solenoid to get rid of P0075 fault my basic tester of which I am not very used to does not show any other fault as usually the light has disappeared.
Thanks, Alan.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It sure is an odd issue, especially given there isn't an electrical connection at the fuel filter end.
Maybe someone on here will have come across this before and can shed some light on it.
All i can suggest is to have the ODB11 scanner in the car with you all the time and if the light illuminates again try and pull over to get a code reading and see what else it may throw up.
Cars were a lot easier before all these sensors and computers were put on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I served my time as a mechanic in latter half pf the 1950's and after five years in the RAF part of the early 60's and then got out of the job, but have always done my best to service my own vehicles. As you say some of the new technology is quite frightening. I have had the tester for sometime but was unable to use it on my old X reg Micra as the socket was different. I will have a go as you suggest and see what it comes up with.
Many thanks, Alan.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
There should be a connection for the water sensor at the base of the filter.

If you can see the small blanking plug (fitted as not all Nissan/Renault/Dacia vehicles have a sensor) then this is where the sensor plugs in when you remove it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply. There is no electrical connection to the bottom of the filter. The light is on again this morning and has stayed on. I will put the tester on see if it comes up with a fault code. I hope you are not referring to me as being a disaster.
Many thanks, Alan.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I would never refer to any fellow Note owner as a disaster (although some have come close!)

The forum changed ownership a few years ago and now getting spam or trolling posts removed (which used to take moments with UK moderators) can now take days if not weeks - hence my comment.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
A bit more digging around reveals that Nissan/Mann/UFI and Mapco all make two patterns of fuel filters for the 1.5 Diesel with and without a connection for the water in fuel sensor.

To trigger the warning there has to be an electrical connection to a sensor and the only place that this is fitted on the 1.5 (having checked the Renault forum as well) is on the body of the filter.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
With a diesel or even a petrol, if you run around with less than half a tank of fuel, with the cold nights and warm days, the part of the tank that's not covered with fuel can form condensation, that drops down into the fuel.
I can hear people saying "why drag around between half and full tank, it's more weight and it costs more money to do so"
It might coast you a couple of pence extra, but you stand less chance of water in you fuel lines, also if very unlucky you could get it from the garage holing tanks, but you have more chance of putting diesel in your petrol tank yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have just been trawling around on google and this forum came with a solution to my problem I hope, that it was caused by the throttle pedal potentiometer and thinking about it when it happens is does affect the acceleration. The fault code was P0225 if I remember rightly.
Many thanks, Alan Maines.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
A throttle pedal pot fault will not throw up a water in fuel warning.

Yes, the car will go into limp mode when excessive water in the fuel is detected (obviously affecting acceleration) to prevent catastrophic engine damage.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Code PO225 is indeed the throttle pedal position sensor.
It went on my car and i replaced it with a new unit,solved the issue.
A quick and easy job, but remember to clear the code once you do the job or the error code will crop up again.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
But a throttle pot would not 'throw' a water in fuel warning light.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Odd as it may sound i had the exact same fault with my car.
I got the water in fuel light ( even though my filter does not have an electrical connection ) and the red engine light at the same time.
The fault was eventually found to be the throttle pedal position sensor.
Replaced it,cleared the code and it's been fine ever since.
Why it shows the lights on the dash that it does is anyone guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A further update on my hopefully resolved problem. I changed the pedal potentiometer but no success the light was back on. I still had one problem to resolve and was waiting to receive the new turbo boost solenoid. This I have now changed and a friend who has the proper machine reset the memory. I have now been out twice on two journeys, the last one was a good blast up the M6 at 70 to 80 mph and return. No sign of the light so I am hoping that I've seen the last of it and changing the solenoid has made a big difference to the performance, fault code P0045.
Alan Maines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now into September and have done quite a bit of running around and I would say it is success with the light problem.
Many thanks for all the replies, advice and suggestions.
Alan Maines.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts