Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can anyone help me on following? I want to be sure that adding my own POI set to connect will not delete the ones that came with car as new.

I assume that initial POI are stored on SD card and therefore cannot be deleted. I also assume user POI are stored in unit memory along with addresses visited.

if anyone has added their own POI could they confirm if I am right on this as I do not want to lose pre installed POI.

Mancityred

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
there in the units memory and thay sit in there own folders you upload them via the usb port with a usb memory stick
there are no default poi's

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Flash22
Thanks for prompt reply. Sorry for being thick but there are preinstalled POI on my Connect e.g Tesco POI.There are also POI for France etc. already on unit.Where are these stored?

I have tried to download existing POI onto USB from Connect, so that I could add to them, but this did not work.Do not want to risk losing existing POI on unit.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
you should be able to delete the poi's you dont want via the connects satnav menu
the poi's have to be in the right format some as the connect doesnt like some csv files

silly question. you have turned on the poi's on the connect

also there are 2 folders MyPOIs and myPOIWarnings

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Flash22
Thanks again. Think this now makes sense to me. User produced POI go into folder MYPOI which would not affect preinstalled POI as they are in a different folder.

Dont suppose you know which CSV format Connect likes. I am going to use Garmin csv format

Many thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Managed to do this today. I used existing Tom Tom POI from my old satnav and converted them to Garmin type csv files.
Did not work first time as I had them grouped in folders e.g France, Italy, Shops. Second time I just had csv files and bitmap images. These downloaded and when I tried the system all the files were shown in alphebetical order.

Sure there must be a way to group files into folders to make selection easier. Will experiment and let you know.

For anyone interested in getting their own POI I found a lot on these sites

http://www.poiplaza.com/?p=newpois&hpg=18 Free collections mainly for Europe

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21050 These are for France but there is

another section of forum with POI for UK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a little trial and error managed to sort this sort out. Do not group the POI in seperate folders as they will not be recognised. Instead if you want to create a group put same word in filename e.g.
Shop Tesco, Shop Aldi , Shop Waitrose etc.

Heading Shop comes up first followed by each shop chain.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Heres a giude to creating your own po<div ="ecxsection1"="" style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">HERE'S HOW TO ADD YOUR OWN POIs TO THE CONNECT SATNAV FROM SCRATCHThis is how I did it, when completed you can either add the file to the my POI warnings or My POIs the difference being warnings will come up as a warning on the screen much like speed camera warnings and My POIs have to be nominated as a destination.For this demo I have chosen a speed camera that does not appear on the speed camera data basei have, I will put it in its own File but if you wanted to you could include it into the speed camera data base.1. To start we first of all need to create two folders one inside the other. Remember these folders are case sensitive name the first folder ""myPOIs""� without quotation marks, then inside that one make another folder named ""myPOIWarnings""�. You will not need to do this if you are adding to an existing data base. Now we can start.2. Load up Google maps http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wland zoom to maximum onto the chosen location put the mouse pointer on the exact spot and Right Click, and on the drop down list Click on ""what's here""�.3. You will notice that the Longitude and Latitude readings appear in the search box make a note of these they have already been converted to decimal for you. If you do not have access to Google maps but know the settings in Degrees, minutes and seconds as appears on the connect satnav if you have used that method to locate your location you can use this website . http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html make sure that you enter the latitude and longitude settings in the correct boxes. Or another way to decimalise is to divide the minutes by 60 and the seconds by 3600 so a latitude setting of 52 degrees 25 mins and 06.5 seconds would work out as, the degrees stay the same i.e. 52., next the minutes 25 divided by 60 is 0.41666 and finely the seconds 06.5 is divided by 3600 is .001805 add them up we have latitude 52.4184 . A lot easier to use google I think on this one.4. Now we have the longitude and latitude readings we can open up excel. In the first row/column (A1) you can give it a title if you want, or get stuck straight in.http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html<t><t><t></t></t></t><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="328" ="ecxmsonormaltable"="" style="width: 246pt; border-collapse: collapse; margin-left: 4.65pt; "><t><tr height="17" style="height: 12.75pt; "><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="37" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 28pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="227" colspan="3" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 170pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">MY VERY OWN WARNINGS</td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="64" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 48pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td></tr><tr height="17" style="height: 12.75pt; "><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="37" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 28pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="85" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 63.75pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.1pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.15pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="64" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 48pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td></tr><tr height="17" style="height: 12.75pt; "><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="37" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 28pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="85" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 63.75pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">LONGITUDE</td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.1pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">LATITUDE</td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.15pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">WARNING</td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="64" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 48pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td></tr><tr height="17" style="height: 12.75pt; "><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="37" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 28pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">1</td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="85" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 63.75pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">-0.71004</td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.1pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">52.4184</td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="135" colspan="2" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 101.15pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">"Anything You Want"</td></tr><tr height="17" style="height: 12.75pt; "><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="37" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 28pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">2</td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="85" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 63.75pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.1pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.15pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="64" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 48pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td></tr><tr height="17" style="height: 12.75pt; "><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="37" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 28pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">3</td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="85" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 63.75pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.1pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.15pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="64" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 48pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td></tr><tr height="17" style="height: 12.75pt; "><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="37" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 28pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">4</td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="85" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 63.75pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.1pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.15pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="64" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 48pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td></tr><tr height="17" style="height: 12.75pt; "><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="37" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 28pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">5</td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="85" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 63.75pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.1pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.15pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="64" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 48pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td></tr><tr height="17" style="height: 12.75pt; "><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="37" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 28pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; ">6</td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="85" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 63.75pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.1pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.15pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="64" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 48pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td></tr><tr height="17" style="height: 12.75pt; "><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="37" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 28pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="85" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 63.75pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.1pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="71" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 53.15pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td><td height="17" valign="bottom" width="64" nowrap="" style="padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 48pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 12.75pt; padding-top: 0cm; "></td></tr></t></table>In the warning line (""Anything You Want""�) you must put quotation marks at each end of this wording for it to appear on the connect screen as your warning.5. Once you have entered all of your data and warnings we now have to save it as a file on our PC or straight on to your memory stick. I do it on my PC so I have a copy.Click on ""save""� and in the pop up box in the ""save in""� box locate the ""myPOIWarnings""� folder that you created at the start, give it a file name i.e.Your POIs and in the ""save as type""� click on the drop down list and select ""CSV (comma delimited)""�Now save it.
6. When you click on save this box will appear click on yes.
7. Also this box may appear.
Click OK8. Now we are ready to load it up into the connect system on the QQ. Armed with your memory stick plug it into your USB in the car, the system should auto load and ask for confirmation to down load new data click ok. When it has finished you can check the download destination by confirming start if the screen presents itself or checking your POIs on the system.That's itonce you have got this far you will come up with your own ideas, short cuts and ways of speeding the process up you might even think it's not worth it and that did pass through my mind as well.I have got a warning that says ""Warning The Wife is Watching""� which pops up as I get near home, it gets a few laughs and another one ""Drunks in the Road""� as I get near my favourite pub.NOTEDepending which side of the Meridian line you live on whether the Longitude setting has a ""“ sign or not so pay attention to the google settings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Craigfishin
Many thanks for this. I wasted some of this afternoon using Google earth but eventually swopped to Google maps.

It is time consuming but I want to make a set of POI for the starting point of walksin Lancashire some of which are a bit off the beaten track.

Like your POI warnings and did not know you had to put name in quotes for it to appear.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
once you get the hang of it you can do quite a few in a short time

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok I have created a folder 'myPOI' with a sub-folder 'myPOIWarnings' on a memory stick ready to load into the Note's Connect systemI've downloaded a Camera_UK file and dumped that in the 2nd folder, but how do I deal with these files?
Castles-UK-England
Museum-UK-England
Tourist_locations_UK-England
all downloaded from <http://poi.gps-data-team.com/>
Do I just dump them in the root folder or create a further sub-folder for,say, myPOIAttractions
I was actually looking for a POI file that covered all of the above for the whole of UK, but this doesn't seem to be available.
The thought of trying to merge the 3 excel files into one seems a bitdauntingto me and they'd still only cover England.
I don't mind playing with PCs , but this has got me a bit flummoxed!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hmmm,Stuffed the memory stick into the connect, USB device was recognised, but no sign of being asked to download data.
had to find a POI menu which had 'Download User POI'
Pressed that and nothing appeared to happen.
So how can I be sure they are on the system?
If I go to look for POIs I only see those listed in the menu e.g. parking, Petrol,Restaurants etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi
I also had difficulties doing this. You will know if your POI's are being uploaded onto your system as a progress bar will appear. Like you on several attempts nothing happened. Check your folder filenames as they will not be recognised if not exactly right. So not "myPOI" but "myPOIs" for your main folder.

Hope this helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts