Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Registered
Did the dealer really fit a new belt or have they just tightened it ?
Go back, tell them you're not happy and want it sorting once and for all.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
That's what I'm wondering too! They said they fitted a new belt, but wouldn't give me any paper work for it. Could it just be badly fitted or adjusted?

I need the car for work, so will test it out on a longer journey then. Plus it's Bank Holiday weekend, so nothing will get done until Tuesday now. I think they are hoping the 3 month warranty will expire before I return 馃檮

Registered
Press on the belt, if it moves more than half an inch MAX then it's too slack.
If it's a new belt then the underside will still be "shiny" and new if it's not check it for cracks, if you find any then it's an old belt.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Press on the belt, if it moves more than half an inch MAX then it's too slack.
If it's a new belt then the underside will still be "shiny" and new if it's not check it for cracks, if you find any then it's an old belt.
Thank you so much for that practical advice! Just had a look at the belt now with my dh. It didn't move at all when pressed and one side looks very shiny. No cracks at all from what we could see! That must be positive?

So if it's not the belt, any ideas what else could be causing the squeak? The noise is just like it was before except not as loud or frequent. It's worse when I drive over humps and when I first start the car from cold or its been raining/wet.

Registered
If possible, can you make a small video of the issue ?Open the bonnet and get someone to start the car whilst you video it the engine compartment, it may help to identify the noise that we cannot hear by a description.

Registered
Is it engine speed related?

Autos make a twittering squeaking sound going along when the passenger side front subframe mount has come loose in the chassis.
They all do it eventually, because the bodge they did to get the autobox to fit is poorly engineered, and they cleverly got the rainwater to drain onto the bolt and rust it out.

It is very awkward to check, as it is buried beneath the airbox, most likely you can move the bolt like in the photo

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
It only makes the noise when I'm actually driving the car. So I could probably do a sound recording, but not a video! Will try on my way to work on Wednesday 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Is it engine speed related?

Autos make a twittering squeaking sound going along when the passenger side front subframe mount has come loose in the chassis.
They all do it eventually, because the bodge they did to get the autobox to fit is poorly engineered, and they cleverly got the rainwater to drain onto the bolt and rust it out.

It is very awkward to check, as it is buried beneath the airbox, most likely you can move the bolt like in the photo

View attachment 1187

YES! That could well be it as it seems worse when I drive faster. Will get dh to have a look if he can. Without jacking the car up though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
YES! That could well be it as it seems worse when I drive faster. Will get dh to have a look if he can. Without jacking the car up though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
So dh had a look under the bonnet at all the bolts he could reach and couldn't see anything loose.

Could it be a rubber part in the suspension arms or bushes making the squeak? There is an MOT advisory outstanding on the front bushes (rear main) being worn.

Registered
Get it up on a lift and use a pry bar on all the parts that have bushes.
If they make a noise like you've heard then you must have found the culprit.
Quite a few garages "rent out" their lift if they are not using it, my local indi charges 拢10 an hour.

Super Moderator
My Note sqeaked like a pig, and it was most of the suspension bushes at the front. Pretty much every bush was replaced with NONE oem parts that were available. .

Registered
So dh had a look under the bonnet at all the bolts he could reach and couldn't see anything loose.
You won't see this bolt from the top, unless you strip out all the airbox first.

Jack it up with the jacking point, and then put a jack under the front passenger side of the subframe, if it jacks up without the rest of the car moving, then that bolt is loose

Could it be a rubber part in the suspension arms or bushes making the squeak? There is an MOT advisory outstanding on the front bushes (rear main) being worn.
Give them a spray with silicon lubricant, or Pledge and it should go quiet for a couple of days if it is them.

Reactions: Boysie

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
So an update after driving the car for a longer distance to work today...

It's the SAME sound as I had before the belt was changed 馃槵馃槵馃槵 It's a chirping sound coming from the rear of the car. Not just on bumps and humps either. It was pretty constant from when I set off from home!

So I'm now thinking it was nothing to do with the belt afterall. Although that probably did need replacing as the AC would squeal really loudly when I turned that on.

Also spoke to the dealer yesterday about getting the bushes replaced and they are saying as it's suspension related, its not covered under the engine warranty 馃槵

So it looks like whatever it is, will be at my cost to sort out!

Registered
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacture.
In other words parts that were put on the car when it was built in the factory.
Non OEM parts are cheaper than OEM parts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
My Note sqeaked like a pig, and it was most of the suspension bushes at the front. Pretty much every bush was replaced with NONE oem parts that were available. .
But did that solve the problem and stop the squeaking? (Please say yes!)

Super Moderator
Yes it did. But it wasn't cheap, as I had them ALL replaced. But it maybe just one that may need replacing, you won't find out until you get it inspected my a proper mechanic.

Also have you checked the wheel bearings at the rear, it's case of elimination for the problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
Yes it did. But it wasn't cheap, as I had them ALL replaced. But it maybe just one that may need replacing, you won't find out until you get it inspected my a proper mechanic.

Also have you checked the wheel bearings at the rear, it's case of elimination for the problem.
To be honest, I really don't feel any suspension issues when driving. So I would much rather it was a simple wheel bearing issue! That's got to be cheaper and quicker to fix than replacing arms or bushes surely?

Anyway, no noise at all on the way home from work this afternoon. Funny that. Only squeaky when the car is first used!

I'm taking it to Nissan for a free health check on Friday and my mobile mechanic is coming to look at it on Monday. Will get them both to check the suspension and the wheel bearings if poss.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts