Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I recently bought my first used Nissan. Its an 06 Note 1.6 SE auto with low mileage and I'm absolutely loving it!

The only problem is, there is a very loud and annoying squeaking sound coming from the back of the car, but ONLY when I first drive the car from cold eg on my way to work in the morning. It doesn't make a sound when I'm coming back home!

Today, it was so loud and didn't stop for the whole journey (40 minutes) that I was so irritated by the time I arrived. It is like something is spinning or rubbing in the boot area. But I have checked and can't see anything that might be causing it. Also, it doesn't seem to happen only when driving over a hump or anything like that. It's either non-stop/continuous and super loud. Or nothing and silent.

Anyone any idea what might be causing this please? I didn't buy it from a Nissan dealer and would rather like to avoid taking it back there if its just a small thing that can be adjusted/fixed without going there.

Any help much appreciated, as its really starting to worry me now (had the car under a month).

·
Registered
781 Posts
Usually, a used car comes with a three month warranty.
If so, i would go back to the dealer and get him to have a ride in the car wioth you and then get him to sort it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I thought you might say that!

The thing is, the dealer is about 30 minutes away. By the time I get there and turn the engine off, then start it up again, what's the probability it won't make the sound anymore? Then I'll just look like an idiot!

Could it be worn bushes causing the noise? There is an outstanding MOT advisory about them.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome to the forum, It could be one or two things, first don't panic! It'll be easily resolved.
I'd venture to guess that it's either a binding brake caliper or possibly a rear wheel bearing.
So long as you are certain it's from the rear of the car you can proceed as follows, Jack up the rear of car. Ensure to chock the front wheels well.
Spin the rear wheels one at a time to check for binding.
Then Rock each wheel in turn to check for play in the wheel bearings.
If you don't like the sound of this advise, just book your car into a good independant local garage, and they'll do the checks for you. Good luck mate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

A rear wheel bearing sounds possible. Is that an easy fix? I have a mobile mechanic I use who could hopefully look at it for me. But I need to have some idea what it is first!

·
Registered
772 Posts
It's an easy fix for a good mobile mechanic. He will probably recommend doing both sides on the rear hubs.
Price depends on your chap, but I'd guess (roughly) think in terms of £100 plus parts and then you shouldn't be too disappointed ☺

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum, It could be one or two things, first don't panic! It'll be easily resolved.
I'd venture to guess that it's either a binding brake caliper or possibly a rear wheel bearing.
So long as you are certain it's from the rear of the car you can proceed as follows, Jack up the rear of car. Ensure to chock the front wheels well.
Spin the rear wheels one at a time to check for binding.
Then Rock each wheel in turn to check for play in the wheel bearings.
If you don't like the sound of this advise, just book your car into a good independant local garage, and they'll do the checks for you. Good luck mate.
Having just watched videos showing the sound caused by both those car parts, I think I can say its likely to be neither of them!

It sounds like it's coming from inside the cabin of the car and in particular the boot. When I first test drove the car, the boot shelf was not attached. I am now wondering if they already knew there was an issue somewhere and didn't fix it before I collected it?

It sounds very much like something is spinning or rubbing together in a very high pitched sqeal. I am finding it particularly strange that it only happens when I first set off with a cold engine. Not when I use the car for the second time the same day 🤨

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's an easy fix for a good mobile mechanic. He will probably recommend doing both sides on the rear hubs.
Price depends on your chap, but I'd guess (roughly) think in terms of £100 plus parts and then you shouldn't be too disappointed ☺
Well that won't be at my cost. I will definitely have to take it back to the dealer to sort out as not a new issue 😬

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hmm, well if it's a spinning noise starting from cold but you don't think it's from the rear wheels, (there's nothing else in the boot that spins) then I'd suspect the noise could be 'travelling'
Could be the auxillary belt is a bit loose.
Either way, it needs proper diagnosis rather than could be's or maybe's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It definitely sounds like the noise is from the rear of the car. The belt sounds the most likely of your suggestions so far, as the descriptions I've read online match the sound and it only happens when the engine runs from cold.

Will get my mobile mechanic to have a look before I decide whether to take it back to the dealer or not. Hoping it just needs a spray or something to stop the noise!

Thanks for all your help 👍

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I took the car out this afternoon in this heat. Heard the squeak straight away as soon as I started the car, but very softly this time. And you were right, it's coming from the engine, not the rear of the car like I have been thinking 🤦🏻‍♀️

I tried to record the sound, but it was so quiet at first and then stopped altogether, so didn't pick up.

This tallys up with my theory that the noise is at its worst when the engine is started from cold 👍

·
Super Moderator
1,894 Posts
Drive belt. or belts. Aircon and/or accessory belt/s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drive belt. or belts. Aircon and/or accessory belt/s.
Thanks. The air con was blowing out hot when I test drove the car. So the dealers had to have it regassed before I collected the car. Have got my mobile mechanic guy hopefully coming out tomorrow to take a look, but sounds like I will have to take the car back to the dealers to fix 😬

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the Nissan Note 06 auto have an automatic tension system for the auxiliary belt, does anyone know?

·
Super Moderator
1,894 Posts
Tensioner or not, if the belt/s are worn it won't help.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Does the Nissan Note 06 auto have an automatic tension system for the auxiliary belt, does anyone know?
No it doesn't. It has an awkward to adjust tensioner pulley low down at the front of the engine.
So awkward that you either ignore the squeal whilst warming up, or spray the belt with Pledge every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to update everyone who was kind enough to post on here about what could be causing the awful noise on my car.

It turns out it was the fan belt like some of you suggested and the dealers say they have had a new one fitted now.

So fingers crossed no more annoying squeak or embarrassing squeal for me from now on!

Thank you to those who commented 👍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts