Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to gauge opinion on the likelihood of me 'needing' a warranty.
Just bought a Jan '10 Note 1.4 Acenta, ex mobility, only 14,000 miles on the clock (supported by the two service stamps and MOT cert).

I'm being pestered by dealer and independants I asked for quotes from, prices steadily coming down from £325 originally quoted to £238 for one year.

But, seeing as Nissan give a 60,000 mile warranty on a new car, am I likely to need it?

Difficult to find 'independant' opinions on this subject, so hoping that experience of Note owners will provide guidance?

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Waste of money IMHO

No matter what goes wrong, it is "wear & tear" and will not be covered. (They don't cover your recovery charges either)

If the car explodes in short order, you still have a comeback on the dealer, so you have £300 to fix anything that does happen.

Apart from clanky clunky front suspension (which won't be covered) and knocky knocky steering, very little seems to go wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
its 60k or 3 years from new,a lot of items are not included in the 1,2 and 3 year extended warranty inc water ingress, suspension and most electrical items and there not the cheapest on the market and there are claim limits too

·
Registered
360 Posts
The only insurance imho that I felt was worth a punt was GAP - It pays to look around for a good deal on this.

Not sure from whom you bought you 10 Note but I bought my 59 (in Jan) from a main dealer and had a years extended Nissan warranty included.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
most, if not all main stealers give you a 1 years warranty on a used cars

·
Registered
90 Posts
Warranty firms tend to be very good at wriggling out of claims, so I've heard but I have heard good things about AA Breakdown repair cover

Edited by: flash22

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
freddieflintoff said:
Warranty firms tend to be very good at wriggling out of claims, so I've heard but I have heard good things about AA Breakdown repair cover

Its not run by the AA but a company using the AA brand and its one of the most complained about warranty company's around,

iirc its been on watchdog and other tv programs, radio and other media

The Warranty Co UK Ltd T/a AA Warranty

1 company but it trades under lots of names and has about 40 odd polices, so its a major mine field

But be careful and read the small print

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Long time ago I purchased a second handRenault Scenic, they persuaded me to take out a warranty.A month or so later, I found I had a water leak, and the drivers side floor mat was floating. I took the car back, and they told me the warranty DID NOT cover leaks. That was the last time I ever took out extra warranty or extra insurance on any purchases. The only insurances I have are, car, house & contents.
Don't bother with holidays, as I never leave the country.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
yes a lot of warranty's don't cover water ingress inc the Nissan one, and if you have an auto some don't even cover automatic boxes
if you got a water leak within a month your covered by the sale of goods act these days

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tend not to be worth the paper their written on, only really for the benefit of the dealers who probably get a kick back off the warranty company.That saidI have successfully claimed for water ingress via high level brake light under warranty and auto windscreen wipers not working by quoting the Sale of Goods Act to the dealer.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I speak from experience...check the coverage...

I had an almera back in 2007, covered by one of these warranties. Driving home at 9:30 one evening, the gearbox disintegrated. Thought "oh I'll be covered, pull the old one out, new one in". Got the car dropped off at the garage. They looked at it, needed new box, clutch...it would have to be stripped down by the guy at the garage, probably inspected by the warranty co, along with service history. Then the warranty co would make a decision. The warranty only covered the first £1,000 of repairs, less the £100 excess. The repair quote was £2,100 (new parts, labour, VAT). Car was just 4 years old. Basically, the warranty co could turn around and say "not paying for it", once commited to a new part, half the price of the car. Ended up getting a used box, new clutch, repaired for £720.

The way I see it, you buy a warranty so you don't have to worry about expensive repairs. But the expensive repairs are not covered. And a blemish in the service history gives an excuse not to cover. So useless.

I took a friend to get a car, they were trying to sell him one, he was starting to bite, so I asked him the big questions: What is the coverage? up to price of car. What is the coverage per repair? £1,000... What if the repair is over £1,000? No repair to this car would cost over £1,000 - you can even get a new engine for this car for £1,000. Once the essence of excrement had settled, I still advised my friend to turn it down.

Manufacturers warranties on the other hand can be great. Had 3 problems with my current 2011 polo, all fixed, and even a courtesy car on the one that crippled the car for a week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts