Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 1.6 Tekna auto. Under 25,000 miles. Been excellent car over last 3 years of ownership. 1 previous owner. Bought from and serviced by authorised Nissan dealer.
Very hot day about 3 weeks ago and after several short journies approaching home with aircon. Normal braking failed and had to stop with handbrake ending up part onto a roundabout. Husband came and able to start car enough to get off roundabout where it siezed up. After a while able to restart and get home and of course has been fine ever since. All who have examined car think engine failed with no server to brakes, but NO reason for engine failure established. AA man thought might be cam shaft sensor failure which would disrupt engine timing and cause computer to reset as nothing on diagnostic. Nissan garage no idea as nothing on diagnostic and say cannot be sensor failure. Might have been fuel pump or dirt, which they would replace at our cost. Honest John says "the idle speed should have risen to compensate for the load from the air-conditioner and didn't ""“ that is why the car stalled and why the car lost vacuum power assistance to the brakes".
Have no confidence in a car which fails massively and dangerously without warning or any dashboard alerts or sign of overheating.
Any suggestions? Currently looking at alternative cars as lost confidence in Nissan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well the brake failure definitely sounds like the servo stopped working due to the engine stopping. When you say the engine seized up what do you mean?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
could just as easily have been vapour lock in the fuel pipes, this sometimes happens with hot conditions and short journeys. The fuel vapourises in the feed lines near the engine and this causes the injectors to miss, hence a loss of power, leaving all to cool off usually cures it. I have had many cars that did this in the occasional freak hot weather we rarely get ,vectra was the worst though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Husband of Masmith responding! The car just ground to a halt with the engine stopped. Had it not been an automatic possibly could have disengaged clutch, but no time to think about it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mdvineng said:
could just as easily have been vapour lock in the fuel pipes, this sometimes happens with hot conditions and short journeys. The fuel vapourises in the feed lines near the engine and this causes the injectors to miss, hence a loss of power, leaving all to cool off usually cures it. I have had many cars that did this in the occasional freak hot weather we rarely get ,vectra was the worst though.
Surely a modern mass produced car should not suffer from this?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It does occasionally happen but it's rare. If your going to reject a car for one fault you will end up rejecting them all!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Masmith said:
Husband of Masmith responding! The car just ground to a halt with the engine stopped. Had it not been an automatic possibly could have disengaged clutch, but no time to think about it!
That's tough to diagnose, fuel or ignition problem of course. I don't buy the one about the fuel vapour, for two main reasons, where did the fuel evaporate too, and the fact that the fuel pump has the capacity to supply a much higher volume of fuel than the engine can use.

It could be so many things, as simple as a loose ht lead, to the Ecu shutting the engine down due to a dodgy sensor and a myriad of problems in between. Unless the dealer finds the error stored in the ecu somewhere I doubt you would find that sort of problem.

There is no harm in just checking there are no loose leads, simple and no cost, one potential problem down.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
the fuel vapourises inside the pipework causing a gas bubble, this then causes the injector to miss, as in it can't form a spray pattern inside the cylinder with a gas as it's designed to work with a liquid. When the system cools slightly the gas vapour returns to a liquid, or if you crank over the engine enough times you expel the gas and your back to liquid. I'm not stating that's what happened just that it's a possibility. I the ecu shut down or a faulty sensor was to blame a dash light will come on and there will be a code to read in the log.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Masmith - Sorry to hear about your issues with your Note. Please feel free to contact Nissan UK and raise a case if you wish to discuss the issue or need assistance booking into the dealer. Our telephone number is: 01923 899334 and email is: [email protected]. ^BM

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
it sounds like its fuel related, water in the fuel will cause all sorts of issues do you get the your fuel from the same place, filled up a small garage lately ??
i would pull the fuel pump out check the filter and see if theres any water ect floating on the surface of the fuel

have you run the tank dry at all ??

autos will loose all power if the engine dies and the braking will go as there no vacumn to the servo and you will need to pump the brakes to get any sort of force

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
When you say "normal braking failed" do you mean the pedal just went to the floor and nothing happened?
Or that the brakes needed loads more force to apply?

Normally, the servo and pipe store enough vacuum for 3 or 4 applications of the brake pedal (press and hold), which is more than enough to stop the car with a dead engine.

Seems very worrying to me

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
my note drops its vac very quickly its normal for new cars the micra k13 i had was the same

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Must have a leaky pipe, mine has stood since 9:00 this morning, and I just got 3 good pedal presses, and then a tiny psh so it held vacuum for near enough 9 hours.

Are we saying the problem is the dead engine, and not the brakes? I wondered if the ABS was locked in, something killed all the electronics, and they all reset when turned on and off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mdvineng said:
the fuel vapourises inside the pipework causing a gas bubble, this then causes the injector to miss, as in it can't form a spray pattern inside the cylinder with a gas as it's designed to work with a liquid. When the system cools slightly the gas vapour returns to a liquid, or if you crank over the engine enough times you expel the gas and your back to liquid. I'm not stating that's what happened just that it's a possibility. I the ecu shut down or a faulty sensor was to blame a dash light will come on and there will be a code to read in the log. [/QUOTE

Thank you all for the interesting and varied suggestions. Some comments following up some of them.
The initial brake failure felt as though there was nothing there. Cannot say if pedal actually went to floor but felt handbrake only option!
No warning or malfunction lights at any stage.
No signs of any fluid leak.
Petrol purchased normally at usual sources. Shell and Sainsbury.
Impossible to replicate fault and Nissan dealer states several diagnostic system checks ( " using equipment used throughout Nissan Europe" ) were carried out telling no faults. Indeed husband has had no problem with car.
It would seem this is a one off and impossible to replicate or diagnose for certain. It seems likely that it was heat related such as fuel vapourising. The ambient temperature was pushing 90 degrees.
Such a temperature while unusual in UK is not that unusual in Nissan land and if as mdvineng says vaporisation is a known phenomenon then the consequences ought to have been designed out by a major manufacturer.
I agree one should not normally condemn a car for a single failure. However this was a serious and frightening event and I have heard nothing to say that it could not happen again. The car now being over 4 years old it is probably time to move on anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NissanGB said:
Hello Masmith - Sorry to hear about your issues with your Note. Please feel free to contact Nissan UK and raise a case if you wish to discuss the issue or need assistance booking into the dealer. Our telephone number is: 01923 899334 and email is: [email protected]. ^BM
<span id="userPro1" ="msgSidePro" title="View Drop Down"></span>
Thank you.
Recent posting makes my view clear.
Have been in correspondence with dealer prior to original posting and they had the opportunity ( indeed were implicitly prompted ) to involve Nissan UK as I have had prior experience with another manufacturer's trouble-shooting team being involved by its authorised service garage which was unable to identify fault. Turned out to be a massive computer issue!

However the dealer confirms there is no current fault and I am sure they have done all they can with expertise at their disposal. So raising a case or booking into dealer seems to take us nowhere!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Masmith said:
mdvineng said:
No warning or malfunction lights at any stage.
I'd expect the dash to be covered with lights with a dead engine.
Still sounds like an odd electrical/computer failure to me.

In your shoes, I'd get rid,. This will certainly have destroyed your confidence in the car and you will always be waiting for a repetition.

(It would be different if something identifiable had failed, and it could be fixed, so you would know it was fixed.)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had a Lomax kit car three wheels one at the back and two at the front, based on a citroen 2cv, it suffered from vapourising fuel due to the engine heating the fuel pipe, and the lack of cool air around it.Though it never suffered what yours has, As MNL suggests sell on or trade in asap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mnl said:
In your shoes, I'd get rid,. This will certainly have destroyed your confidence in the car and you will always be waiting for a repetition.

(It would be different if something identifiable had failed, and it could be fixed, so you would know it was fixed.)
My thoughts exactly!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts