Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a really quick simple question for you all to peruse and, hopefully, reply to.

Is undertaking another vehicle illegal or legal ?
We all konw it's legal to undertake a vehicle that is turning right but what about one that is travelling straight as on a motorway for example ?
Your thoughts welcomed.

·
Registered
868 Posts
On the motorway i believe it's an offence. And for good reason too.. How many cars would be forced off the carriageway by lorries returning to the inside lane if they were tootling past the blind spot on their left.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may or may not be surprised to learn that undertaking is NOT illegal.
It is allowed in certain circumstances but is at the discretion of the police in others if you are spotted doing it.
Have a look at this video we were shown at work ---

·
Registered
868 Posts
It's always been permissable for undertaking in slow queuing traffic, but legal or not i personally would never run along the LH side of a lorry that hadn't yet decided to move back over. I've witnessed so many incidents in my 30 years plus of class one HGV driving.
Some truck drivers are lazy and don't study their mirrors as well as they should.
On the topic of truck drivers, i hate the one's that bully motorists through the road works. When in my humble Nissan Note, I've had them on my back bumper when travelling through 50mpg limit stretches (even the one's with cameras)
I guess you get good and bad wherever you go, but I'm ashamed of truck drivers who do that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rule 267 of the Highway Code say

"only overtake on the right"

but Rule 268 goes on to say

"In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right."

Pretty clear to me. The same rules as in 1974 when I passed my test.

·
Registered
2014 E12 DIG-S Manual
62 Posts
"In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right."
We have the same rule in Belgium.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts