Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still looking for my first Note, and would welcome any comments on a design feature I've noticed.

Under the brake and clutch pedals there's a slightly sunken area of the floor, presumably to give extra clearance under the pedals. If you have wide feet, this means that the outside of your foot hits the "raised" edge when you push the clutch right down - and your foot has to tilt slightly as the pedal becomes lower than the adjacent floor. I found this irritating.

Two possible solutions occur to me (three, if you count "buy an automatic" - if only they did a diesel auto like the Cee'd):

Would the pedal travel be sufficient if there were a stop, such that it didn't go so far down?

The shaping seems to be done in the insulation pad under the carpet - has anyone tried hacking it away? The moulded carpet might be a problem here.

Any other ideas? Or just try to live with it?

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
I'm 6ft 4ins and I've got big feet, and wear size 12 shoes. I never had a problem with this 'raised edge'.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No problems here either and I wear size 10 safety boots for work. Don't tend to push the pedals all the way down to change gear though.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Coolbusby said:
No problems here either and I wear size 10 safety boots for work. Don't tend to push the pedals all the way down to change gear though.

Nor me.....I try to match engine revs to gearbox speed. Works for me.

In all honesty, I can't remember the last time I had to push the clutch pedal to the floor........and I don't think I have in 40+ years of driving.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
363 Posts
Autolycus said:
I'm still looking for my first Note, and would welcome any comments on a design feature I've noticed.

Under the brake and clutch pedals there's a slightly sunken area of the floor, presumably to give extra clearance under the pedals.  If you have wide feet, this means that the outside of your foot hits the "raised" edge when you push the clutch right down - and your foot has to tilt slightly as the pedal becomes lower than the adjacent floor.  I found this irritating.

Two possible solutions occur to me (three, if you count "buy an automatic" - if only they did a diesel auto like the Cee'd):

Would the pedal travel be sufficient if there were a stop, such that it didn't go so far down?

The shaping seems to be done in the insulation pad under the carpet - has anyone tried hacking it away?  The moulded carpet might be a problem here.

Any other ideas?  Or just try to live with it?

Kevin
I think you and I are the only ones with this 'problem'.....it didn't bother me at 1st...(had the car since Sept)....anyway...to quote Flash..."today I have mainly....." been hacking a lump of polystyrene away from under the carpet!!!!!! bliss, just pressed the carpet down & bingo...

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
there should be no edge with a manual, pedal travel has no real bearing on the subject as the note uses a hydraulic clutch and has fly by wire throttle

ps. phil look at the date of the thread, lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Phil: I was beginning to think I'd have to unlearn 47 years of driving, or have some major foot surgery.

I eventually bought a Note - 60 plate diesel, back in July, and still find the floor shape occasionally irritating, so I'll investigate your solution soon. I was scrabbling around under the passenger side carpet yesterday, running the cable for a parking sensor display, so driver's side next.

Today's irritation with it was finding the rear wheels to be firmly corroded into place. Now freed, and well greased on refitting.

Tomorrow's will be the need to shell out £35 for a rear spring. Wish I'd spotted it a couple of months ago so Mr Nissan would have had to replace it. I'm aware that counsel of perfection would be to replace both sides.

Kevin

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know what you're saying Flash...but there definitely WAS an edge....no more though...yippee.....
P.S.I spotted the topic while 'trawling' when I first joined the Forum & was interested at the vast range of topics....& the excellent replies....some of them I've followed up on...so I was curious to know if Autolycus had solved his problem.
P.P.S car going in tomorrow for new air-con compressor....very noisy....being done under garage's warranty!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts