Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the wear rate of the OE Conti's fitted to the Note is a bit of an issue with some Forum members but I have just replaced them this morning with 26288 miles on the clock! Is this a record
or can any one do better? btw they were still just about legal. Replaced them with Pirelli P1 got them through TyreTraders, who had the best deal and even managed to get extra discount using the discount code available to all Forum members

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
i think so........ mine where 0.5mm off the wear limit at 5600 miles (rears had 1.0mm), the yokos have no real sign of wear in the 2000 miles i have put on them since thay where fitted

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just been out for a test drive with my new Pirelli's and they're great! Steering is sharper,ride is more supple and the car doses't bounce about around this particular uphill roundabout that I use every day! and a as far as I can tell much quieter than the Conti's

·
Registered
143 Posts
Planet13 - does your Note have 15" or 16" wheels?

Interested in your comments re Pirelli P1's. My OE Contis have to go when worn enough.... and I've been trying to gather advice/opinions on alternatives since realising how unsuitable the Contis are.

Some reports from other owners of actual experiences with other tyres would be really helpful. Wear rate is important, but more important to me are steering feel/reaction/stability/driver appeal. The Contis are hopeless in those respects (although give a comfortable ride).

A general pool of user comments would be great.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi allI have Contis all around have tried Bridgestone BF but there wear was terrible less than 10K miles, However the Contis are great in the dry, but Naff rubbish in the wet or greasy , though great in snow and ice.The first hint of rain they wheel spin and slide and wheel spin in all gears and thats an auto!!!!
Road noise is Cr*p too soLoud.
Though now have changed wheels to some i bought on Ebay second hand and these wheels dont have the losing air probs the originals have.
SO you say the Pirelli P6 are great ok on 16" i Hope and tyre traders you say too, what am I looking at for all four?
Mike

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
greenplane said:
The first hint of rain they wheel spin and slide and wheel spin in all gears and thats an auto!!!!
That is impressive. I can spin mine in 1st by feathering the brake to force both to go round, but normally the yellow traction control light comes on and it just goes.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Autos dont always spin in the rain have driven plenty of autos that dont but think its Nissans way of getting you to buy naff tyres for their cars.Ay way any idea on the Nankang or Falken tyres heard good reports about all but would like some note views.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a full set of HEXA FORCEUM 185/55 R16 87V XL, on mine, they're quiet, steer when I steer, wet or dry, I cant see a problem with these, unless you drive like a t**t, have seen plenty of Notes fitted with them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is all good - keep it coming!

Trawling around the web yesterday I discovered Conti EcoContact 5 available in 65 profile for 15" wheels. The Contis fitted to my Note are EcoContact 3 and way way too soft in the sidewall and rubber compound as per many users comments, so when worn out they will go. EcoContact 5 looks to be a possible contender but need more info on the characteristics. I also found the Goodrich gGrip which according to user reports seem good for feel but not for wear rates. Nokian H (Finland) seems another possibility but I have no experience of them. Reports seem good. Personally I like stiff sidewalls and a flat footprint on the road.

My choice would be Dunlop Sport 01 but not available in 65 profile for 15" wheels. Had those on our other car twice around and they're brilliant. That car's running on Kumho's at the moment as an experiment but proving inferior to the Dunlops in driver-appeal. Wear rate is OK but nothing like as responsive or grippy.

Had new Falkens on two previous cars of very different character and regretted it both times! They seemed good when new but went hard very quickly with nasty tramlining effects. Wear rate was average - about 10K-15K for front. Couldn't wait to get them off! Not on my shopping list.

I appreciate the height of the 65 profiles on 15" wheels adds to the bouncy nature of the EcoContact 3's. There's the option to switch all to 16" with 55 profile which should sharpen things up, but not looked too closely at this yet. As that spec is a std Nissan option there may be no issue as regards insurance and vehicle spec declaration.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Modern tyres are rated for

treadwear (100 is standard- 280 means lasts 2.8 times as long)
Grip (traction) : AA best A B C (worst)
and temperature resistance A (best) B C (worst)
Just buy a tyre rated at 600 AA A for best results (if one exists)

The contis are 280 AA A

I hope the date code is 47/12 not 6y98

The ones on The Other Car are 300 B B and I mange to drive it in the wet ok. (It will simply spin round if you try and accelerate out of a junction though)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
If you go to kwikfit or similar, tyres now have to be rated like 'fridges with economy and noise ratings. These don't appear on the tyre, but were on the label stuck on them when new.

The stats for the contis are economy:e grip:c and 68dB
conti premium contact 2 is e b 70db
Nankang 185/55R16 87V XL Eco-2 are c b and 72db I'd get these for more mpg

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
ratings are meaningless if you have a ultra soft oem contis and the ratings are at optimum conditionns, i dont drive hard, 90% of the timei have the overdrive off too, the yoko's (16") i have now are 200% improvement over the oem conti's
as above the contis will spin up on a auto with a the slightest bit of moisture no matter how careful you are with the throttle

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry that I haven't replied sooner, I've been away for the weekend thundering around the M25 & A1 etcI can report back that the Pirelli P1 (185/65/15) felt really good, steering is sharp and the ride is supple, driving around some of the country roads in Bedfordshire the car felt more stable and on the A1 road noise was much lower than with the Contis (done this journey many times) As it hasn't rained for a few days, can't comment on how they handle in the wet

·
Registered
143 Posts
Planet13 - thanks to you.No apologies please - I'm busy too!!
So, the P1's area significant improvement over the EcoContact3's ?

I agree flash's comments re specifications. Personally I'm not that concerned about noise (outside or inside). I want sharp performance andand replacement once/year or close to it.Variations in tyre construction and design bring different attributes, affecting the driving experience. As my local garage always says, tyres are a personal choice and get to know what their customers like. They know my penchant for Alfas and recommend accordingly!

I will check out those Nankang tyres (have to admit, I know the name but nothing more).

Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alfisto- I will need to do a few more miles yet to make an informed decision, at the moment I'm very happy with the P1'sbtw should have guessed that you have a 'penchant' for Alfas, my brother had a Sud Sprint in the 80's fabulous car to drive and would Seriously embarrass much bigger cars despite only having 96bhp as for handling and road holding I personally don't think anything at the time could compete, only down fall was the dreaded 'tin worm'

·
Registered
143 Posts
Fantastic fun and worthy of the brand! Shame they were made from recycled Zanussis and crumbled to dust before your very eyes. The A33 almost a worthy successor but not quite.... Viva Cuore Sportivo.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree, they where probably made of recycled Lada's and old fridges! Didn' know you could speak the lingo
Viva la Passione del Motore Sportivo

·
Registered
152 Posts
I replaced my front tyres with Hankook Kinergy K425 a week ago and they are really good. They are very grippy and quiet and supposed to save fuel (though not noticed any difference in mpg yet) I would highly recommend them. £109 for the pair from Tyretraders with the discount code on this forum.So far I'm well impressed with the improvement in the handling

Edited by: ians1386

1 - 20 of 50 Posts