Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Nissan Note SE has started to make a twanging noise when steering, any ideas what this could be and if its an expensive fix????

·
Registered
103 Posts
Are you just turning the wheel a bit? OR full on round corners? Mine does it, but for me the twanging is coming from the seat springs as my weigh shifts around.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dont know if this is the same thing but my wifes punto makes lots of twanging type noise when steering and i've been told its seized top mounts? do you notice it only when stationary when you turn the steering lots? i dont know how expensive it would be but the punto passed its mot like that without even an advisory.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Tommo56 said:
Are you just turning the wheel a bit? OR full on round corners? Mine does it, but for me the twanging is coming from the seat springs as my weigh shifts around.
Funny you should say that...my wife went on one of those speaking weighing machines yesterday, and it screamed 'ONLY ONE AT A TIME PLEASE!'

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
look down ate the floor and you will see a steering joint this has a metal clip around so the nuts dont come loose sometimes these snap, as you turning the wheel it catches and make a metallic twang noise

·
Registered
9 Posts
bringing this up again.

yesterday there was a lot of snow and ice, and today there is a noise in my steering wheel. it sounds like there is a stuck spring, and as i turn the steering wheel to the right, it twangs as though it gets unstuck.

there is no ffeling of vibration on the wheel, and i do not feel like there is anything grinding within the suspension.

the sound seems to originate somewhere in the cabin, right under the steering wheel.

sorry about my english, i struggle with the technical terms somewhat.

if it is this clip flash mentioned, can it do any damage? cause i can't get to a mechanic before next week..

thx for any suggestions

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
down by the bulk head where the steering column goes through there is a universal joint this has a metal locking tab these tend to break and catch the carpet making a twanging sound

btw your English if fine its better than some English members on other forums im on lol

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
9 Posts
oh, ok, i understand. fingers crossed it's just that, ill try and have a look at it when i get off work.

re the english, i'm used to communicating in english in my work, but it's nothing to do with cars and mechanics, so i get kind of frustrated when i can't think of an appropriate term or phrase.

thx again for the pic :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
flint* said:
oh, ok, i understand. fingers crossed it's just that, ill try and have a look at it when i get off work.

re the english, i'm used to communicating in english in my work, but it's nothing to do with cars and mechanics, so i get kind of frustrated when i can't think of an appropriate term or phrase.

thx again for the pic :]

there's plenty of English people that cannot do it either!

·
Registered
238 Posts
flint* I must congratulate you, your English is very good, much better than some of the contributors on this forum. Some of the spelling and grammar is worse than an 8 year old. :((
I shood no cos I carnt spel too

·
Registered
9 Posts
what can i say flash? right on the money. :) i owe you a drink if you ever come to Zagreb. The clip is loose and twanging as it is getting caught on the carpet. didn't have a chance of fixing it today as its still snowing like crazy. anyhow, THANK YOU, you saved me some paranoia :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts