Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just fitted a towbar to a friends Note, does anyone know the best place to scotch lock into the wiring harness for the towbar electrics? Also what colour wire does what? Thankyou in advance

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I would advise against just skotchlocking onto the existing wires, the wiring in the Note is "modern" and very very dodgy (rumoured to be Renault based
)
Everything is controlled (if that is the word
) by a body electronic control module which explodes at the slightest provocation, and costs about £1000 to have replaced and reprogrammed to the car.

I would get the proper plug in kit, especially as it is not your money, but will become your problem if it goes pear shaped

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
No idea I'm afraid, but here is a youtube video of someone else who has fitted a towbar and wired it up, doesn't say that anything blew up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3hpvQt8gHE

I did have a look for the wiring colours, but nissan seem to use the same colour wire for different lamps, depending on which part of the harness it is (even more likely to be designed by renault
)

Red is both stoplight and rear fog.........

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Personally, I'd give it to an auto electrician to wire up, as it's obvious you're out of your depth.

If you remove the relevant trim beforehand, it will reduce costs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mondeo, you might want to take a quick look over this and search some other old threads osthttp://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic858&OB=ASC.html.

I scotchlockedthe towbarwires directly behind the rear lights and ran the wiring down through the bumper (as in the youtubevideo). I used some zip ties to make sure the weight of the wires didn't pull on the locks. It's not the ideal solution but has been fine so far (six months).

It wasn't too hard working out which wire did what by looking at where they connected with the bulb fittings. Earth was easy to spot as all wires were spliced off one wire. I did use a volt meter at one point but that blew a fuse in the car, best to do everything with the battery removed and then hope you've done it correctly afterwards!
I also used a light board to check I'd got everything wired properly.
Don't forget you'll need the radio code when you disconnect the battery.

Hope that helps.

Edit:
Don't be an idiot like me and somehow confuse offside and nearsidewhen installing, it wastes a lot of time! I just used a standard wiring kit with a buzzer.

Edited by: MrNote

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.