Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday, I experienced a total electrical failure on my2011 Nissan Note dci and I hope that this will be useful to others, as followinga search of the forum, I cannot find any post indicating that this has happenedbefore, (although there is a post for a similar failure on a 4 year old car, butas this was fixed under warranty by the dealer, there is no feedback on theissue and repair: https://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/forum/19-electrical/6403-total-electrical-failure.html

After pulling out of my drive and driving 100yds down theroad, the electrics failed on the car; radio off, lights on dash off and the enginecut-out.
Turning the ignition, there is nothing
Only the side, head and tail lights work

Reviewing the Workshop Manual (many thanks to this forum), SectionPG details the wiring and following the schematic on page 4 I established that ‘FuseB’ has failed and inspecting on the car (this is part of the assembly mounted onthe battery - see last page of the workshop manual), confirmed this to be the case.
This is known as the Fusible Link and I have taken a numberof photos, which I hope will be useful.

A google search reveals that this is a common problem forNissan Micras
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/micra-k12-2003/good/
3-3-2012: Notorious fault is severe corrosion of the fusible link holder,which is situated underneath the nearside headlamp unit. Rated at 30 amps, thispiece of cheap and nasty, plastic framework (costing £64.97 ) suffers from verypoor design of the waterproofing housing which results in moisture build-upinside the housing.

Having spoken to my local Nissan dealer this (Saturday) morning,I was informed that this part is not stocked in the UK (indicating it’s not acommon failure), and is on back-order from Europe. The best I could hope for would be deliveryin 5 working days (if stock was available in Europe), but this cannot beconfirmed until Monday!!
Given the circumstances, the dealer was very helpful andsupplied me the part number 243807994B (£44.96 incVAT list price). This is specific to theE11 Note 1.5dci as the fuse ratings are dependant on the engine fitted.
Now my dilemma is what to do???
  • Replace new – but I will be waiting at least a week forthis part to be delivered to the Nissan dealer
  • Replace used – ebay search gives limited results+ risk of wrong part and the cost is comparable to buying new
  • Repair – there is a comment on a Micra forumthat suggests ‘soldering’ to repair the break https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/micra-k12-completely-dead.61654/
Now the repair will get my car back on the road the fastest(and save money) – BUT :
  • Will this compromise the performance of the fuse?(the failure in this case is due to water ingress and corrosion eating the bottomof the fusible link).
  • Will the repair be robust, or could I end up gettingstranded?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Just looked at your thumbnails :surprise:!!!! When was the last time you cleaned under your bonnet or even given it a bit of TLC. The battery top is disgusting, what's the rest of the engine bay like???????
No wonder the fuse has corroded. If you don't look after the engine compartment, it will and has come back to bite you. Has your car been just standing on your drive for 5 years plus without moving??

Go for the first idea you had about getting a new one, if you can do without your car for a week or two, if it's a common occurrence on a Micra, do they keep them in stock and are they the same on both cars, at £45.00 it's not an expensive item, but will teach you to give a bit more TLC.
Go to a scrap yard and get another unit from them. Ask a mate to take you as your motor's given up the ghost.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I would suggest that if you're confident to solder the link AND you trust your own work then go for it and solder the link back together.
But still order the part and replace it as soon as it arrives at least you won't be without your car for a week.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silverhairs, far from being sat on the drive, my trusty Note has cruised up and down the motorways and this is the first time the car has 'stopped' in 199,000 miles.
I have owned the car from 'ex-demo' and all the car has required is scheduled maintenance, tyres, brakes and suspension (front & rear springs, drop links and control arms).

For those interested, I found another Micra forum where the 'solder' repair is covered in more detail: https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/loss-of-power-fixing-the-fusible-link.69982/

Following this 'guide' I have repaired the fusible link and my car is now back up and running.
Whilst soldering the break, I started to 'tin' the copper end below the 'central lump' - and noted the link appears to be temperature sensitive, as it changed colour - I would be intrigued to find out what this is made from, but I guess this is the 'fusible link' part of the assembly.

Photos showing the repair:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
In them 199,000 miles have you cleaned under the bonnet, OK you may have had your bonnet open to top-up the washer fluid or checked the oil, but when did you actually clean under the bonnet?

·
Registered
957 Posts
It may not look pretty but who is going to see it ?
I would still replace the link as soon as you get a new one just in case the solder repair allows too much current to flow and will not break as it's supposed to, which could cause further damage to your car ( or even a fire ).
Nice job,glad you sorted it out.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I am with silverhairs on this.

Keeping the engine bay clean not only allows you to identify any fluid leaks but builds a familiarity with the layout enabling one to spot corrosion or dodgy connections etc.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of the whole engine bay, before he tarts it up :wink:.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Has anybody noticed how clean under the bonnet of Nippy the Note? Even before he cleaned it.
Nice job "Rosse119" :wink:.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts