Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Does anyone know the correct torque settings for "standard" Nissan the six spoke alloy wheels on a 2010 Note? I have looked in the handbook but could not find anything...

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
nip them up and just do them up till there tight

The specs in the manual are............

Tightening torque of wheel nut:

98 - 118N·m (10 - 12 kg·m, 72 - 87 ft·lb)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just tried the torque on the wheel nuts. The garage has put them on with WAY too much torque. Have gone for the recommended setting of 105 NM. I may now have a chance of getting the wheels off without a crow bar

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I was serious about the squeak btw...when tightening a wheel bolt you should always listen for that sound of all the lands on both male and female threads making full contact...I have always used this method and have never over or under tightened a wheel in my life. Of course that DOES NOT MEAN jumping on the wheelbrace until the thread strips or the bolt snaps, you need a little finesse

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info but I will stick to my trusty torque wrench - it takes out the guess work and the worry of ... have I tightened them too tight or ..... probably worse - not enough! I don't want to see my alloys overtake me as I am driving along.

·
Registered
138 Posts
And that's not Loose Torque from Sneaky !!!! who I have to agree with him again on his comments, last thing you want to see is a wheel passing you.....your own least of all!!!!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
SneakyElephant said:
Torque settings? I just put my foot on the wheelbrace and wait for the squeak
you do realise that the squeak comes from a mouse with one of it's toes trapped in the hub

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Never torque locking wheel nuts tho as when it comes to remove them you will stuff the locking wheel nuts

Been there got the t-shirt, blu ray and the box set (some one did the lockers up with a rattle gun)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
they tend to break with rattle guns because of the impact loading being higher than the torque required, you can torque the locking bolts up as long as they are lubricated and are torqued up slowly with a proper torque wrench.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
And then........as you find out in the middle of Charing Cross hospital car park with a puncture you have to call the RAC with their 'locking wheel nut breaker'. Effectively an air chisel which makes its own 'key' into the bolt allowing the wheel to be removed. Then you spend another £35 on a new set of locking wheel nuts! Ruddy tyre fitters!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi
I think my original question is being misinterpreted. Surely if you tighten the wheel nuts with a torque wrench at the right setting, then none of the nightmare scenarios mentioned can happen. They are easy to take off - because they have not been put on by an apprentice with a rattle gun.

The only thing I found out is that the wheel brace supplied by Nissan is totally useless as the key for the locking nuts does not fit. I need 19mm for the standard nuts and 23mm for the locking nut key. Therefore, I have had to buy a wheelbrace that covers both those dimensions. It is that or carry a socket set with me. Surely this should be made clear by the dealer when you buy the car. The standard kit wheel brace is of no use at all - if you car has locking nuts.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Mr.Pea said:
The only thing I found out is that the wheel brace supplied by Nissan is totally useless as the key for the locking nuts does not fit. I need 19mm for the standard nuts and 23mm for the locking nut key. Therefore, I have had to buy a wheelbrace that covers both those dimensions. It is that or carry a socket set with me. Surely this should be made clear by the dealer when you buy the car. The standard kit wheel brace is of no use at all - if you car has locking nuts.

(((((((((((((((((((((oo) they're obviously "Pea" nuts...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Mr.Pea said:
Hi
I think my original question is being misinterpreted. Surely if you tighten the wheel nuts with a torque wrench at the right setting, then none of the nightmare scenarios mentioned can happen. They are easy to take off - because they have not been put on by an apprentice with a rattle gun.

not misinterpreted at all as you were given the information you were seeking, all the rest is other peoples experiences of garages and additional advice for all others to see etc.
As to dealers telling you everything you may need to know about the car your buying! it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens

1 - 16 of 16 Posts