Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My wife has a 1.6 petrol note. She had some new maxxis tyres with A rating for wet weather in the summer and also had some suspension arms replaced I think it was.

There are two issues we now have. When the car is on full lock the tyres slip really easily. As you approach full lock the steering wheel gets heavier then suddenly goes very light as it hits full lock. May be a caster angle issue?

The other issue is when the car is in a straight line and you give the car a bit of gas in 1st gear,. The wheels spin so easily. The wheels are 185/55/16.

Anyone had these issues? I'm thinking of putting wider tyres on, maybe 195.55.16. Goodyear vector sport.

An online tyre calculator says 205.50.16 is the max tyre width for a 6j rim. Anyone running 205 tyres?

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
649 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
I would hazard a guess that the tyre compound is pretty hard to allow wheelspin at such a low speed. Even worse for grip at high speed braking if a hard compound.

I used a harder compound tyre 2 years ago. I couldn't wait to get rid.......and I went back to Hankook, for my Note. I have used 2 different compounds of Hankook. Both are quite different with grip in the wet, but not by much.
The softer compound I'm sticking with, superior grip under braking, no wheelspin under acceleration, unless you really gun it. Really great in the wet.

Have you tried braking hard in the wet, where it's really safe to do so, say from 30mph. If the ABS kicks in too soon, it highlights the lack of grip by the tyres. The harder the compound less grip, ABS will kick in sooner.

Softer Tyres will give a better ride, with less road noise.

Going to wider tyres is not the answer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it was the tyres. My crv slips a little on full lock as I reverse down the hill but my wife's car is a joke as It can't accelerate up the hill! Its a great car and way better than the Ignis sport it replaced.

I'm thinking of some 195.55.16 Goodyear vector sport tyres. Autocar best tyre 2019.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Welcome to the forum "Racy Jace"
A couple of questions.
1. What year is your 1.6 Note?
2. Why give it full throttle (you call it gas) when on full lock?
3. Why did you purchase "Maxxis" in the first place, was it the price?
4. What were the suspension parts fitted, and was the tracking done after fitting the new parts?
5. Why fit 195 tyres, do you feel your going to get a better grip, then you ask about fitting 205 tyres. "Boy racer" comes to mind, especially with your log in name?
6. Why didn't you purchase the 195?55/16 as recommended by Autocar 2019 in the first place?

But welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yeah, get rid of your Maxxis tyres, I got rid of the Continental ContiPremiumContact I had f+r on my Note. I have been using Bridgestone LM-25 since last year till today, grips like vomit on a blanket! You get what you pay for. With tyres, they're what keeps your car on the road, going and stopping. Best to go for the best possible and not skimp on quality. You should get your alignment check whenever you have any suspension work done to any car as soon as possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum "Racy Jace"
A couple of questions.
1. What year is your 1.6 Note?
2. Why give it full throttle (you call it gas) when on full lock?
3. Why did you purchase "Maxxis" in the first place, was it the price?
4. What were the suspension parts fitted, and was the tracking done after fitting the new parts?
5. Why fit 195 tyres, do you feel your going to get a better grip, then you ask about fitting 205 tyres. "Boy racer" comes to mind, especially with your log in name?
6. Why didn't you purchase the 195?55/16 as recommended by Autocar 2019 in the first place?

But welcome to the forum.

Hi sorry for the late reply I don't seem to have notifications set for the post.

Its a 2010 1.6 petrol.

When the wheels where in a straight line and I accelerated up our hill it wheel spun really easy with part throttle. There was no full throttle needed.

When the steering is on full lock and the car is rolled backwards off the drive the tyres slip with no throttle.

The maxxis had A and B ratings for wet grip etc which are meant to indicate it's a good tyre. That was the reason for the purchase.

I don't know if the tracking was done after the suspension arms were done. I'll get it checked after some new tyres are bought though.

The car came with 185 tyres originally but it seems the black version of the alloys have 195. I don't think 205 is recommended by Nissan so I won't be going down that route. Apparently the info is in the book so I'll look at that in a bit. Yes I believe 195 will give slightly better grip than 185 especially if I get a decent soft tyre.

Race and Jace rhymes. My Aunty started calling it me when I was young then as I got older and into real cars my friends at work also called it me. Especially when I had a 320bhp RB5 at the age 25. I'm 41 now and have a CRV as stated which has a 0-60 14 seconds, an eco button and an auto box. My boy racer days are well gone just like my hair line ☹.

The 185 is recommended when you put in the cars reg as it was OEM. We just went with what we thought was correct. Autocar just did a general tyre test to see which is best. It wasn't done with the size we want but would be a good indication its a good tyre. I'll look at the tyres recommend in this post too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, get rid of your Maxxis tyres, I got rid of the Continental ContiPremiumContact I had f+r on my Note. I have been using Bridgestone LM-25 since last year till today, grips like vomit on a blanket! You get what you pay for. With tyres, they're what keeps your car on the road, going and stopping. Best to go for the best possible and not skimp on quality. You should get your alignment check whenever you have any suspension work done to any car as soon as possible.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just a few questions about the Bridgestone LM-25

Are you in the UK?
Where did you get the tyres from?
Are the tyres road legal in the summer if it's a winter tyre?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Have a look at Black circle tyres, they are doing a good discount at the moment.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have most very excellent Chinese ditchfinders on my 1.6 (Pace & Jinyu) and they work perfectly- no wheelspinning sliding or anything. Is there something wrong with the throttle sensor?

They were only about half as expensive as the Continentals in the stupid odd size 16" that only fits the Note.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have most very excellent Chinese ditchfinders on my 1.6 (Pace & Jinyu) and they work perfectly- no wheelspinning sliding or anything. Is there something wrong with the throttle sensor?

They were only about half as expensive as the Continentals in the stupid odd size 16" that only fits the Note.
Theres nothing wrong with the throttle sensor. The cars rolling at 5mph on full lock and the tyres are slipping. I've just googled it and it seems there's the same problem on other cars. New tyres and alignment check should improve it so I'll report back when it's done.

The main issues is there's no weight in the front of the car being a petrol compared to the diesel. I had the idtec Accord before the petrol CRV and it supprised me how agile and light the CRV feels.

In the 6 years of owning the Note we've only needed one rear bearing and the suspension arms or bushes replacing. Which isn't bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you leave your winter tyres on the front all year round? Is this ok with car insurance? Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The cars rolling at 5mph on full lock and the tyres are slipping.
Any car will spin the inside wheel with full lock applied if you give it some throttle.

Driving normally in a strait line do the wheels spin when you apply throttle?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cars rolling at 5mph on full lock and the tyres are slipping.
Any car will spin the inside wheel with full lock applied if you give it some throttle.

Driving normally in a strait line do the wheels spin when you apply throttle?
On full lock the wife's rolling the car back with zero throttle and the tyres are slipping.

When the wheels are in a straight line they spin really easy when trying to get up the hill. I've googled it and it seems to be the tyres and it's a problem on most cars when a poor tyre is used. I think the tyres we have are ok for the summer but not under 10c when damp.

I need to order some tyres tomorrow so may get the winter tyres as mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
102 Posts
On full lock the wife's rolling the car back with zero throttle and the tyres are slipping.
You are having a laugh, unless I am missing something what you describe is impossible, at idle no car has enough grunt to spin wheels unless its on sheet ice.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
He's purchased shite tyres in the first place, thinking he'll save money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are having a laugh, unless I am missing something what you describe is impossible, at idle no car has enough grunt to spin wheels unless its on sheet ice.
The wheels spin when in a straight line going forward up hill. When we roll the car back on full lock the wheels don't spin, they slip. The effect is like a thumping sensation as the tyres don't have grip and slide over the tarmac. As I said I've now read it's common with poor tyres.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He's purchased shite tyres in the first place, thinking he'll save money.
I purchased **** tyres without realising the ratings on the tyres that are given is absolute rubbish. The tyres I bought were meant to be better than the ones they were replacing. The ratings were A =fuel B=wet grip etc so technically they should be good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When we roll the car back on full lock the wheels don't spin, they slip. The effect is like a thumping sensation as the tyres don't have grip and slide over the tarmac.
That is not a defect with the tyre, its probably a defect with the car. Get it inspected before wasting any more money on tyres.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. Just a few questions about the Bridgestone LM-25

Are you in the UK?
Where did you get the tyres from?
Are the tyres road legal in the summer if it's a winter tyre?

Thanks

Yup, am in Middlesex. Running winter tyres all year is totally legal, just some people think it's a waste during the summer months. It's down to your own preference. You cant to run at least an all weather tyre, I wouldn't go back to summer tyres now. I got my tyres from ebay. The LM25 is an older model, but the newer models don't get as good reviews for some reason. I've gotten coming on 10k miles out of the fronts now, with 4 mm still left.

And how old/mileage is your car? Maybe the shocks aren't great, they can also affect the grip of your tyres. I've had new f+r springs, f+r shocks, front lower wishbones and anti roll bar drop links fitted before I had the Bridgestones fitted. Also had 4 wheel laser alignment done at a proper alignment place after the suspension was fitted.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts