Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after two months of struggling with this car of mine, and seemingly getting nowhere with it, i have decided to get rid of it and move to something else.
The beginning of next week i am going car shopping and my Note issues will be behind me, ( hopefully ).
I have my eye on two cars a Hyundai i20 and a Ford B-max, i'm leaning towards to B-max at the moment but two test drives will decide the winner.
I'll post next week after my little shopping trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Sineu,
Used to have an Hyundai i20, it was the 1.4 petrol version. Depending on the trim level they can be pretty basic inside but so reliable, backed up by the Hyundai 5yr warranty. Mine did a steady 40 mpg, and when it reached 90000 miles I sold it to my daughter who kept it for another 3 years. No major problems, just usual brakes, tyres. Easy to service myself after 5 yr warranty ran out. Never driven a Ford B max so cannot give any advice. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers SJCA, thanks for the info on the i20, it was the premium model i was looking at.
Not decided as yet which car i will buy,but i intend to make a decision early next week.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Don't touch the Ford if it has the ecoboost engine, or the powershift auto. Both of these can be Trouble (with a capital T)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strange, I've heard nothing but good about the ecoboost, especially on car review sites including the AA and RAC.
Let me know what you've heard mnl.
I'm intrugued now.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've seen a fair amount of reports of total engine failure on Ford eco boost engines.
Mostly requiring warranty replacements by Ford.
Hopefully they may have ironed out the flaws by now.
Hyundai...They don't do a lot wrong.
Having said that, the Mrs Jymmer Ford Focus has run sweet for 10 years and 70k with no probs, (2.0 diesel)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Google "ford ecoboost failure".

It is a teenie weenie little engine, made to produce loads of power with a turbo (which immediately frightens Oldies like me). They are highly stressed and rely heavily on a perfectly functioning cooling system- which is Ford's Achilles heel (ever changed the warped and leaking header tank on a fiesta?), the overuse of marginal plastic components results in coolant loss, the lack of any temperature gauge means they drive until the "engine has just blown up" light comes on. If they were doing 90 at the time, running at full power, the head cracks, and oil sprays over the exhaust (25+ fires in USA). There have been many recalls, each of which has totally fixed it :rolleyes:.
Post 2016 are supposed to be better, Ford are supposed to have put a bit of effort into engine & cooling system mods. (Some people report as many as 80,000 miles without a problem :ROFLMAO:)

Ford have made millions, and "only" a few thousand have blown up, but that sort of failure rate is massive.

The powershift, optional with the 1.6, is well known for jerky changes, selecting false neutrals and going into limp mode- it needs a £250 fluid change every 30,000 miles. Ford PowerShift transmission - Wikipedia

·
Registered
665 Posts
You see second hand Fords with the 1.0 eco boost engines at cheap prices.
I'd guess some of those are repaired examples and the owners just want shot of them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hyundai I20 premium trim is the best trim, the 1.0 B max does have the 1.0 ecoboost engine which had a problem with its cooling system. This engine comes in either 100 BHP or 125 BHP. Ford did a general recall on these engines to replace a few components in the cooling system after the problems mnl described above. There are several stories you can read about by Googling the 1.0 ecoboost engine problems. Later engines were modified, several have now exceeded 100,000 miles without problems. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Got my eye on a ford b-max 1.0 zetec.
Heard anything bad about those engines ?
I thought the 1.0 zetec is an ecoboost :confused: I doubt if a 1.0 3 cylinder engine would move a B-max uphill otherwise.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DAMN !!
I like the look of the b-max as well but reading about engine issues has really put me off it now.
Back to the drawing board lol.
Chers for the heads up guys.

·
Registered
665 Posts
After the shed that you've been driving Sineu, you really want something totally reliable.
Honda, Hyundai, and most Toyota's would arguably be in that list.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You hit the nail on the head with that one Jymmer.
I'm still on the fence about the b-max though, from what i've read the b-max was never involved with the over heating issue.
This is from What car web site ---
What’s the problem with the 1.0-litre Ecoboost engine?
Ford says that 44,682 Ford cars with the three-cylinder turbocharged 1.0-litre engine produced between October 2011 and October 2013 were fitted with a nylon coolant pipe between the engine and coolant tank that had the potential to fail at high temperatures.
A Field Service Action was issued in March 2015 to replace the hoses, and 96% of cars were repaired. According to Ford, the issue was not treated as a safety recall by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency because a dash warning light should come on if the car starts to overheat, giving drivers advance warning that there is a problem.
Which models are affected?
The 1.0-litre engine recall only concerns the Focus. However, the 1.6-litre Ecoboost engine has been fitted to a range of Ford models, including the C-Max, Fiesta, Focus ST and Kuga since 2010, so this recall covers all four of these models.

Still not sure even after checking for any recalls ( checked using reg number on ford and dvla web sites ), none were listed.
With the above report, would any of you buy a 2015 b-max ?
Above mentioned web site -- Ford Ecoboost engine recall – what you need to know

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
DAMN !!
I like the look of the b-max as well but reading about engine issues has really put me off it now.
Back to the drawing board lol.
Chers for the heads up guys.

Get one with the 1.6 non-turbo petrol - 104bhp from a 1600 is less stressed than 99bhp from 1 litre, I'm not a fan of the diesel either.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With you on the diesel, after the car i've now got i'm forever a hater of "Satan juice" as a certain J,C called it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
My current tip for a car is the Suzuki Swift, now made properly in Japan, and they are discounting the petrol ones to get shot of them as they are going for a hybrid range now.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
With you on the diesel, after the car i've now got i'm forever a hater of "Satan juice" as a certain J,C called it.

There is just so much to go wrong on a modern finicky diesel. I'm a big fan of the 2 stroke Detroits though ;) People on Youtube are always asking "will it start after only 20 years standing?" If there is something runny and burnable in the fuel lines and it isn't seized, the answer is yes every time.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, after many phone calls and even more emails between myself and Ford uk and the DVLA. I had total confirmation that the overheating issue related to the engine in the B-max was of no issue at all with the car i had in mind to buy.
So i will be replacing my Note on Thursday when i pick up my new ride. Hopefully it will go on for a good few years,it's a cracker to drive,quiet,comfy,bags of room, and it's not a Note lol. Pic attached, what do you think to it ?
xxl_kfz1032949_img_4386.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts