Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having someone almost slam into me earlier, I found out my main stop lights are no longer functioning! The high level one seems to be fine - and the lights themselves come on when I put side/headlights on, but won't brighten when I put on the brake?

I recently had a headlight blow, which I changed myself. But I also recently took out my drivers side window switches and gave them a clean - which made them work again! (Can't see how that would effect lighting?)

So, I thought "aah yes check the fuses!"

So I had a look at the fuses inside the drivers compartment - the one for STOP seems to be perfectly intact? and looking at the details for the fuses that live inside the IPDM, if 45 or 46 had blown, I'd be missing numberplate lights and other things right? So i haven't ventured inside the IPDM yet cos it looks a right old faff to get to.

Any help appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
both bulbs blown ?the brake lights dont go through the ipdm so it makes it nice a simple to find a fault
may be 1 bulb blew a few weeks ago and the other one has just gone as the centre brake light is working shows thay the brake light circuit is working

iirc there bulbs are dual element 1 for the side lights and the other does the brake lights

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aha this sounds like a likely candidate! I have a spare bulb handy and yup - it's dual element alright!! I never noticed before.

I'll have a quick go at replacing it! after the sunday dinners done.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
sunday dinner on a monday isnt that leftovers (bubble and squeek)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It got delayed yesterday:(

And I realised I left all my tools for getting the pesky light casing off over my nans so I'm just gonna have to sleep on it tonight!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
there a screwdriver in the toolkit in the spare wheel !! (well there should be)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a peep, I think the previous owner must've gone "ooh, that's nice". Just a jack and a wheel wrench :(

Too chilly for fannying about out there now tho anyway!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep! Turns out to have been nothing complicated, just new bulbs!

Well, taking the rear light clusters off is always complicated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I have a rear light problem. My drivers side rear stop light fails to come on, left and center work fine.

I have checked the bulb, fuse etc and they are all fine, the fog and lights element work fine.

Could it be as simple as a braking down switch or would the other lights not work if this was the case?

What about a wiring problem? or are they common to the whole system?

Any advice would be very helpful.

Tks

Paul

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Tbh change the bulb it may look good but it only takes a tiny brake
the brake circuit is on its own nothing goes through the ipdm

If you don't get any joy with a bulb change check the plug that goes into the cluster with a multi meter

you could just swap the bulbs over to test

·
Registered
7 Posts
Flash,

I have used a new bulb with the same result, I dont understand how the fog light side works and the brake fails.

I am hoping it could be a switch issue as they are only £10 to replace but only one switch for both sides so feel like I'm grasping a straws.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
1 switch 1 circuit 1 fuse
check the cluster and its plug it may be water ingress

any of the front lights out ??

·
Registered
7 Posts
No everything else is working just fine.

There is no sign of water ingress at the cluster, no rust etc on the bulb carrier. What other plugs could I check apart from the bulb carrier?

I dont have access to a fluke till tomorrow, if you say its one switch does all, surly this would fail all brake lights not one side if it was on its way out?

Any thoughts

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
yep 1 circuit so if the switch had a fault nothing would work

·
Registered
7 Posts
would it be a good assumption that it might be a wiring fault with that line, the earth is good as the Fog side is working fine and they share a common earth?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is were the switch links into the Automatic release mech in the auto gearbox selector. That is working fine but it must run through it at some point on its way to the back lights.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I will pm you a link in the morning as I'm not on my pc at the mo

If the switch was at fault you wouldn't be able to release the gear leaver (auto box) with the foot brake, unless you used the over ride button

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
try fuse 62 (20A) in the IPDM and fuse 12 (10A) in the fuse box by your right knee.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts