Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

had a number plate bulb blow around christmas so bought a new one and fitted myself,

last week the same bulb was on and off when it pleases, a simple tap on the plastic lens made the bulb light again up to today

in my wisdom
i thought i would take the bulb out again with the lights on and see if i could resite the bulb, big mistake,

i have managed to blow the fuse for the number plate lights and the offside side lights,

i have looked in both fuse panels but no lights are detailed on the covers, i am now stuck

anyone any ideas on where the fuses for the lights are located?

paperman

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone got any ideas please, i would like to get it sorted this weekend

thanks

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi, should be in the IPDM module in the engine bay, possibly fuses 45 and 46, this module is to the right of the engine and battery but below the headlamp connections,looking from the front. Mines in off white plastic with four clips.

reagrds

dave s

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply,
i have been to the dealers and they told me the same,

its an awkward bugger to get to and does not have much play even when you manage to get the 4 clips sorted,

the fuses are located underneath where all the wires go into the multiplugs and without unplugging all the plugs (which im not going to do) it is very difficult to see the fuses,

finally managed to get to see the fuses and the one i want is right in the middle, typical....it could have been the one on the outer corner but oh no, lets make it awkward,

so managed to get to the point of changing the fuse and lo and behold, no spare fuses anywhere like you used to get in fuse boxes,,,,,,off to halfords this afternoon now for a fuse and a new bulb, then back to ripping it apart again,

when i go back to do the job i will take a few pictures to try to help others with this difficult task

Thanks

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
There is a special tool for pulling these out but i use forceps with a serrated grip. On the fuses though you can get a selection box of them via ebay/amazon, for the future failures.

regards

dave s

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
i posted this up in the how to's under lighting
its a pita to get to the fuses had to do mine as i had a tail and side light out (there inked iirc the 10 amp) only fuse inside is for stop lamp

fyi. there mini blade fuses

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
fuse puller is in the fuse panel by the steering column, sort of top right, little black thingy and the info on fuse whereabouts is in the handbook section 8 page 28.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
forgot to add theres a list of fuses in the ipdm whats useful if you can stand on your head to read them

·
Registered
181 Posts
I thought car designers were supposed to have progressed since the 1930s. My 1936 Austin 8 had better access to fuses. In fact that's true of every car I've had before the Note. Is it just to make it difficult for the d.i.y. folks?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Upgraded my number plate bulbs to super bright white LED lights..should last longer than standard bulbs!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Old Frank said:
I thought car designers were supposed to have progressed since the 1930s. My 1936 Austin 8 had better access to fuses. In fact that's true of every car I've had before the Note. Is it just to make it difficult for the d.i.y. folks?
I miss shovelling in the coal...progress? HUMBUG!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thnx all,

it is a 10A fuse (red) which i have bought from Halfords, £2.99 for a pack of 2

number plate bulbs 12v, 5w pack of 2 £1.99

total cost £5, and another £50 in the swear box

not bad for a DIY job but what a pain in the ass to get to

still got to do the job as it was dark when we got home today, will grab some piccies

paperman

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
£3.79 for a mixed box of 120 fuses on Amazon, Halfords bleugh!!!!!!!!!!!!! probably cheaper if you can't wait for a postal purchase to use an local corner shop car parts supplier, if you have one near you that is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, job done, light still didnt work, turned out that one of the contacts in the bulb holder was bent and not making a good enough circuit, simple bend of the contact and all is now well again,

didnt take any pics due to weather being so disgusting but if anyone else gets stuck then please get in touch and i will help as much as i can,

tried the fuse puller but becase the fuse is in the middle of all the wires i found it too difficult to get it onto the fuse, instead i prised it out with a small screwdriver until it was out far enough to grip with some long nosed pliers.

paperman

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
there a pain in the fsm it tells you to remove the headlamp what means the the bumper has to be loosen'd
problem i had was getting the fuse back in, damn these big hands of mine

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Well today I fell foul of this one: whilst fiddling with the trailer lights I blew the left tail lamp fuse.

(What
happened was I had the cover off the lamps, and the metal baseplate
moved outwards whilst fiddling causing the contact blade to move off the
pip on the bulb to the casing.)

I can honestly say that never, in my entire life, have I ever seen anything so witlessly stupid as this. In fact, I got the chap over the road to come and see it, so two trained engineers haven't seen anything as stupid in over 100 years

It
must be obvious to anyone that the most likely fuses to go are the ones
to the lamps, because people try and change them with the lights
switched on, and cause a short.

Anyway, all (hah!) I had to do was remove
the wires to the headlamp motor, disconnect the negative battery lead
(bye-bye mileage logs, hello radio code) bend it right out of the way,
then rotate and twist the ipdm (signs of water ingress in the bottom of
the box too) until I could stand on my head to pull the fuse. Took ages to get it back in mind, as the slots are out of focus.

I took this picture blind

I would suggest fitting a fusebox in the boot and fuse the tail light feeds to the towbar. Next time I have the back of the car apart I will.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
mnl said:
I would suggest fitting a fusebox in the boot and fuse the tail light feeds to the towbar. Next time I have the back of the car apart I will.
Time for a (little bit of a ) gloat.

On the Mokka there are three fuse boxes.
<ul>[*]In the engine compartment for engine related bits and the front lights[*]In the passenger compartment for things in the passenger compartment and the mirrors
[*]In the boot for everything at the back.[/list]
Each has spare 'ways' and spare fuses.

Just a bit of forethought is all it took

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Nigel B said:
Just a bit of forethought is all it took
In The Olden Days (groan!) when every single thing in the entire world (except 1) was better*, any fuses used to be in the fusebox, that you could get at apart from the inline fuse for the wireless.

Now it seems that cars have become filled with unnecessary & unreliable electronics that provide "functions" that I don't use and didn't want in the first place.

*I've thought long & hard about this, and the only thing I've come up with is that Medicine is better: we can cure more diseases now. (Healthcare isn't, but Medicine is)

Edited by: mnl

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
And the award for resurrecting a old thread goes to (drum roll)
Mr MNL
only a mere 3 years and 5 months old

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Thought you liked adding to old threads, rather than starting a new one, makes the forum search work better.

Useful thread too, I'd never have thought to take the car apart to change a tail light fuse

1 - 20 of 20 Posts