Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

for the winter I am thinking of using winter tyres. a friend used some last couple of Winters and they were superb. can I swap my 16 inch wheels for 15's or even 14's...? also should I get some cheap alloys or steels from a breakers. would it have any implications on the ESP?

I can't believe i'm thinking of winter on such a beautiful day. hope next few months are like today.

many thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
Why swap to 15"? i know size doesnt amtter and all that , but i Drive a Tekna Auto on a 58' plate and have driven in snow over rutts of ice up the the bottom of the car etc, and no problems, just put it in 1 and take ur foot off the brake slowly and dont panick. I went to Clowne in Derbyshire with my best friend up hill and down dale in the snow of 2010 no worries ever, after watching others get stuck in their 4x4's i sailed on by!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for that Md, Its one tof the best cars in awful weather, the wipers come on automatically, as do ur lights and if you drive it with car in the wintry conditiond itll go anywhere. I may only be young(41) however i have driven a lot of different cars in my time, and 4x4's are not always the best option, neither is changing the wheel size, not only will it affect economy but topend performance and overall trye wear too.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You can get Continental winter Contact TS830 and Ts850 in 185/55 r16, and Pirelli Snow controls as well.

Best order them in in the Summer though, about £100 each too..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Thanks guys. Have to admit never driven with winter tyres but as I do a 42 mile round trip to work they would be useful. would not have needed them this winter just gone though. never had a car with the esp either so that may help. my mate has a previa which wasunstoppableeven in really deep snow with winter rubber and its only rear drive. also i dontlikethe idea of salt and muck on the alloys over winter. the reason for going down a size or two would be naively thinking they might be cheaper..

those who have driven in snow what is the ESP traction control like?

gonna try and post a of the cartomorrow, its on my phone at the moment, if I start now I should have managed to post it by tomorrow.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You wont and dont know that you have ESP all Its there for is sudden change of direction, as in if some one steps in to the road whilst your driving and you have to take action, it stops the car from skidding and doing a swan lake

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
ATS and likely Kwikfit do a scheme whereby you buy a set of winter tyres off them, and they swap them onto the rims and store your summer tyres for you, then swap them back. No idea how much it costs mind, but you don't have 4 dirty great wheels knocking around the garage all the time.

Winter tyres are a good idea, the high silica content rubber really does grip at low temperatures, when ordinary tyres turn into wooden lumps. However, they need air temperatures below 7 degrees or they wear out quite quickly.

I keep meaning to get a set, but I have a suzuki jeep on the drive for snowy conditions.

By all accounts you will be lucky to keep the paint on your alloys whatever the weather conditions.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Yes

So you pick a tyre/wheel combo that gives the same circumference.

Use an online calculator/comparer like

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

I will replace the 185/55r16 on my Tekna with 195/55r16 as there is more choice, and my speedo & mileometer are hopelessly optimistic, so it will get a bit more accurate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts