Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My car started to make a strange noise yesterday. When the ignition switch is placed in the ON position it does the usual high pitch noise but if I remove the key again, it makes this strange noise:

https://soundcloud.com/joao-vieira-547259321%2Fnoise
I've tried to check where the noise comes from and it seems is from here:

The water pump belt was replaced yesterday and I've reached the mechanic but he said that he didn't "touch" this.

Could it be something related to the water pump belt replacement?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
That is a 1.5 DCi egr valve. No idea when it is supposed to make a noise, they usually open & close when you turn the ignition on to tell if they are stuck.

Reactions: steve500

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a 1.5 DCi egr valve. No idea when it is supposed to make a noise, they usually open & close when you turn the ignition on to tell if they are stuck.
Exactly, it's the EGR valve.

Before going to the garage there was no noise at all. The mechanic replaced the water pump (and the belt) and now is making this noise. Could it be somehow related to this replacement? Or is it just a bad coincidence?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Maybe it was broken before and it is working now
Maybe the egr valve is stuck and it is trying to set a position it cant achieve
It shouldn't be anything to do with changing the waterpump and cambelt though.

I'd have a look for P04xx error codes, and if there aren't any and it is running ok, leave the bonnet shut :)

Otherwise, it might not hurt to clean the egr valve and the air supply pipe.

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
I used STP Diesel Fuel treatment for roughly 8 - 9 tank fulls of fuel in the my Note, It has definately made a good difference in performance. My Note had done 257,000km, and was slighly sluggish, and I was losing about 5-7mpg. Not saying this will help clean the egr valve, but it can't hurt but to try it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts