Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have recently noticed a strange noise coming from the back of the car (at least i think its the back), it used to be around 50 MPH, but now it just seems to be all the time, anyone got any ideas as to what it could be???

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
check tyre pressures first then the wheel bearings

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the Tyre pressures are fine, done them recently, so how do i check wheel bearings?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
jack up the rear, take off the handbrake and rotate the wheel to check for roughness in rotation, also hold the wheel at either side and push pull to try to feel for any play in the bearings.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sounds like the wheel bearings. If one has gone, you can bet the other side will need doing soon. How many miles has your car done?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
122000, am just taking the wheels off now and checking them, seems the passenger side is loose without the brake drum nut on, but is fine otherwise, am doing the drivers side now

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
you need the wheels on for checking wheel bearings as it gives better load and leverage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have checked the bearings and they are fine, there is still that noise though, and now there is vibration in passenger side footwell, any more ideas? ^^

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
check front bearings if not already done so

·
Registered
37 Posts
122000, am just taking the wheels off now and checking them, seems the
passenger side is loose without the brake drum nut on, but is fine
otherwise, am doing the drivers side now

Are there too many zero's 122000 seems a lot of mileage ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope, not too many zeroes, my dad used to work from corby, and travelled to preston week for a year

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Aidsy1 said:
122000, am just taking the wheels off now and checking them, seems the passenger side is loose without the brake drum nut on, but is fine otherwise, am doing the drivers side now
ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY TWO THOUSAND MILES??? THAT'S HALFWAY TO THE MOON! NEARLY FIVE TIMES AROUND THE WORLD!!! No wonder it's making noises! It's probably groaning with arthritis...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Do check the fronts as suggested.
My suzuki developed a big noise from the rear axle. Got a mechanic in the back to listen: definitely the rear axle, put some molyslip in it.
Found the teeniest tiniest play in a wheelbearing and changed it: no difference

Weeks later I noticed that a front wheel was practically falling off because the wheelbearing was gone.

The noise definitely came from the back.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have just checked the front bearings as suggested, and sure enough the front passenger side bearing is lose. Anyone know where to get a bearing from? dont wanna pay someone to fit it when i can do it myself! :p

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
if you have a press go for it plenty of bearings about a decent motorfactors will have them on the shelf iirc euro car parts do them too
cheap bearings are £22.50 a decent SKF bearing will been £50 odd quid without discount

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
any advice as to what i should go for? would cheap ones perform just as well as expensive ones? (am uni student dont wanna spend loadsa money ^^)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sent it in to get looked at at a local garage, turns out itwasn'tthe front bearing, it was the back, thankfully the noise has gone now, was starting to sound like an aircraft taking off. Could hear it with the stereo at max volume :S

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello everyone,

I think my wheel bearing (front n/s) is buggered too; it started making an horrendous grinding "woo-woo" sound this monring on my commute into work. Okay-ish at < 20mph, becoming worse with speed. Now my Note is under 12 month warranty from Nissan main dealer, what are your views on this being covered? I know somethings are considered "wear and tear" but don't know if a bearing is or not.

Cheers!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A bearing is wear and tear, but depends on how many miles it has done i suppose, for example. as i posted earlier mine had done 122,000 miles before it started to go. but when they start to go they go quick :S. wont lose anything by taking it to nissan i suppose

1 - 20 of 21 Posts