Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Storing for couple of years in dry shed . Was going to get it steam cleaned and washed,fill tank to brim and charge battery every few months . Leave handbrake off , anything else

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'd consider selling it now instead. With the government view on diesels the car won't be worth much in 2022.
But if you are keeping it, then you've got the right ideas.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Try and find some way to take the weight off the wheels, or the tyres will have flats on them that take hundreds of miles to settle out.
Otherwise you could push it forwards a couple of feet a week until you get to the wall, then backwards again- but I suspect the novelty would soon wear off :)

I keep my motorbike inside The World's Most Expensive Polythene Bag over the Winter, - vacuumed close to the 'bike and with a load of desiccant, I think they are available in car sizes, but it might be cheaper to buy a new car than one of those, I think the 'bike size was about £40 :eek:

Reactions: Jymmer

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have a mechanic friend who always says that cars should never be stored for any length of time with fuel in the tank.
The reason is that the fuel degrades over time and will make the car very difficult or impossible to start,

·
Super Moderator
1,960 Posts
Pistons sticking in the bores may happen. One of the worst for any machine is not using it. Mice are another problem.....they may play havoc with the wiring and upholstery.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I have a mechanic friend who always says that cars should never be stored for any length of time with fuel in the tank.
The reason is that the fuel degrades over time and will make the car very difficult or impossible to start,

Petrol degrades, especially this rubbish adulterated with overpriced ethanol- classic car drivers and bikers who store vehicles run them on Esso Super unleaded as this is ethanol free (except in Devon & Cornwall.....)

Proper diesel lasts for donkeys years in a sealed container, although biodiesel is supposed to grow bacteria and block filters.

You see videos on youtube "digger stood for 70 years- will it start?" and they always do- on the 70 year old diesel ;)

The advice always used to be to fill the tank on a diesel, to keep moisture out.

Reactions: Jymmer
1 - 7 of 7 Posts