Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan note accent 1.2
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1.2 accent dig the battery went flat over the holidays a friend jump started the engine but now the stop start symbol on the dash is constantly flashing now any ideas how to turn it off any comments would be appreciated

·
Registered
Note dCi Tekna 2017
14 Posts
I own a 1.2 accent dig the battery went flat over the holidays a friend jump started the engine but now the stop start symbol on the dash is constantly flashing now any ideas how to turn it off any comments would be appreciated
Have you driven it enough to fully charge the battery? My understanding is that the stop start system will not work if the battery is low.

·
Registered
Nissan note accent 1.2
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you driven it enough to fully charge the battery? My understanding is that the stop start system will not work if the battery is low.
Yes I went on a 15 mile drive after it started and been in daily use but still won't go off its a 15 plate could a new battery solve the problem

·
Registered
Note dCi Tekna 2017
14 Posts
Yes I went on a 15 mile drive after it started and been in daily use but still won't go off its a 15 plate could a new battery solve the problem
Before spending possibly unnecessarily it would be worth reading the fault codes, either find someone with a code reader or buy one, I have just got a Carista (around £25 from Amazon etc) but there are others available, this will read out the fault codes and let you reset them, (While the Carista is very good and has Nissan specific codes it is quite expensive for the mobile phone app, around £10 month subscription or £50 year, but it comes with a free 1 month subscription provided you remember to cancel it before you get billed for a full year! I intend to use the free month then just buy individual monthly subscriptions when I need it)

·
Registered
8 Posts
How old is the battery, the problem comes that the chemicals in the modern start/stop batteries degrade quicker when no or little charge is present. Some batteries have a little window green = good, black = time for a new battery. This is also why Nissan recommend disconnecting the battery for prolonged periods of not being used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My battery was 7 years old, but was only taken for long weekend drives and some shopping. In covid time it suffered from solenoid problems and had seen the flashing start/stop. My battery window was black (if not, I suggest a longer trip or charge it). You can fit a new one, I got a varter for £60 + £2 for contact gel. There is no issue with security or on board computers, so as long as you can unscrew the bolt holding the securing bracket it's simple. Pls, RTFM Nissan specify order of disconnecting the terminals.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The AGM batteries are usually about shot at 5 years plus.
I'd definitely buy a new one if i were you.

·
Registered
Nissan note accent 1.2
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How old is the battery, the problem comes that the chemicals in the modern start/stop batteries degrade quicker when no or little charge is present. Some batteries have a little window green = good, black = time for a new battery. This is also why Nissan recommend disconnecting the battery for prolonged periods of not being used.
Since I bought the car new 2015 yes the battery is showing black I phoned my local Nissan dealer who said that the battery should be changed after 4 years and give me qoute of £200 few a replacement that's not fitted just the battery

·
Registered
244 Posts
The correct battery to buy is an AGM spec. EFB may work, but they are not the correct option for E12 cars unless I'm very much mistaken. AGM types are usually nearer the £100 mark unless you can find a special deal somewhere.
Wifes car (no longer a Note) has an EFB battery on a stop start car. Some people have replaced them with AGM because they supposedly have a longer life. Wifes is coming up 4 years old and still seems OK for starting but stop/start is very hit and miss now unless we give it a monthly trickle charge, perhaps its just the winter and short trips.

Never heard of anyone fitting an EFB in place of an AGM on any car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My original nissan battery in my digs e12 was efb, I agree AGM is superior but most articles I read and the part suppliers push efb for my car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wonder if the efb battery is the reason why we were upset with start/stop 8 years ago...
Hey I live in Munich where winters can get really cold, but I found in the first few weeks the stop/start to be a bit hit & miss and I also felt that really depressing the clutch occasionally helped. Finally I can say that after RTFM'ing and having the engine turn on without interaction after a fair stop, the real factor is simply heat. And as such I might argue that when you drive very efficiently it's the one thing a 1,2 litre engine doesn't develop in buckets.My dealer also mentioned it, but probably coz it was a frosty week the first time I mentioned it...
Edited by: chumbawumba
Regards
Herr Ingle

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm on my second note and I've got the same flashing thingy stopping the start stop if I get an oil flush it fixes it untill I rest the car for 4 days the same thing happened on my other note as well I went from a 1.5 diesel tenka to a 1.2 petrol base model

·
Registered
Nissan note accent 1.2
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm on my second note and I've got the same flashing thingy stopping the start stop if I get an oil flush it fixes it untill I rest the car for 4 days the same thing happened on my other note as well I went from a 1.5 diesel tenka to a 1.2 petrol base model
I've been advised by a mechanic that the battery has had it and I should get it changed as for removing the constant flashing on the dash of the stop start symbol it has to be plugged in to diagnostic machine to have it turned off then my stop start will start working again

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I can't work out why a 'oil flush' would make any difference?
'Resting the car for 4 days' is probably allowing the battery to drop to a weak level, and that's more likely to be the culprit.
You may need a new battery, particularly if it's 5 years old or more.

·
Registered
Note 2009 dci86 owner on a budget
95 Posts
Talking about batteries my note looks to have a fairly new main battery , although couldn't find anywhere in the history to say its had one , looking utube theres mostly an embossed manufacturer date on battery and yes, there is one, but thats obv not fitting date, its a halfords battery , and they are completely useless at even knowing about manufacturers date codes as were local motor factors, mine ends with e19 so from the net can only presume that means manufactured may 19,the e relating to 5th month of yr

·
Registered
2014 E12 DIG-S Manual
117 Posts
Since I bought the car new 2015 yes the battery is showing black I phoned my local Nissan dealer who said that the battery should be changed after 4 years and give me qoute of £200 few a replacement that's not fitted just the battery
If it is from 2015 then yes it is well beyond its lifetime. Replacing the battery would probably fix the stop/start light, but more importantly prevent you from being stranded.

OTOH, stay away from dealership for these simple jobs. You may save half the cost by visiting an indie garage or battery shop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts