Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all, I've just found this site after looking forthe torque settings on the front caliper. Used my wifes Note today and found the drivers side caliper is very hot and has some squeaking / squelling when braking and also when cornering sometimes ! First thought sticking pads ! Anybody know of a manaul (or even just the brake page) or the torques so I can strip it down and clean it before any more drastic work !

Thanks !?!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It is a standard Japanese calliper, remove the two small bolts at the ends (with the concertina bellows under the calliper) and the calliper lifts off (35Nm on these bolts)
This reveals the slide pins under the bellows, they seize up, especially if someone had them apart and put coppaslip on them, as it swells the rubber bellows up. If this has happened, you need new ones.
The piston just pushes back in by hand (hopefully) be careful that the fluid reservoir doesn't overflow.
Usually, pressing the brake pedal lightly a few times to push the piston out, then pressing back in a few times will free it up.

If you take the calliper frame off, 105 Nm on the big bolts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Like you say looks like a standard caliper, I hope theres nothing put on the pins as it's only been through a Nissan garage ! Hope it's just sticking pads like I've had on an Accord and Almera. Any idea if theres any lube that's meant / recommended for the slide pins ?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Use rubber grease if needed. Nissan do a special rubber grease for ££££, but the red stuff you buy in tiny pots from a motor factor should do.
I don't think silicon grease or vaseline will do, even though they look like the original grease.

Nissan suggest something called PBC (poly butyl cuprysil) for between the pads and the calliper, and the pad slides, or silicon grease. Copaslip ought to be ok here, as there is no rubber to damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MNL - thanks for your help. Done the job had to smack out the pads from the sticking side, caliper sliding well and piston moving, so looks like justa build up of dirt, etc. So if you start getting intermittentsquealing then it'll be work cleaning them out.

So as I had to hit the pads out, they broke. My wife decided she wanted Nissan parts back on so OK, not to much more. But what has confused me is that the pads are the same in the pair apart from one having VHB tape on the back. The pads put on are D1060 BH40A (x2 BH40B's and x2 BH40A's in the pack), the old pads are a different part number but had an A and B suffix on them, so I followed that logic. Anyone know if this is correct ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mine not only sticks but in wetter weather (90% of our summer) my front sticks and makes the steering wheel vibrate/wobble, however if i pump the brakes it cures it!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts