Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone replaced the steering wheel on a Note? If so, do you have any pointers as I am thinking about doing it if I can pick one up reasonably cheap.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I assume you mean with like for like from a better specced car?

Turn ignition off, in fact disconnect the battery to be safe
Have a cup of tea and a sticky bun. (ie wait half an hour or so)
Remove airbag module (two caps in back of wheel spokes, bodge screwdrivers in to release springs)
Undo centre nut
Set straight ahead
Use a puller to remove wheel
Swap wheel
Replace nut
Set spiral cable to half way position
Replace air bag module.

Pray that air bag light goes out, because if it doesn't it will cost you to get it reset, the code reader tools on eBay only do the engine management.

If you want a wheel off a different car, you are on your own

Remember if ever you switch on the ignition without that drivers air bag, the air bag lamp wont go off properly until it has been (expensively) reset , and you won't pass an MOT.

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. Luckily I have a friend who gives me use of his code reader as I did alot of work on my airbags with my hyundai.

the reason for the change would be that the wheel is currently looking like the last owner liked the taste of it!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Licking or biting?

Should be an easy swap with another note, use the new wheel to fabricate a puller for the old one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our wheel looked awful when we bought the car from Nissan dealer. Previous owner had one of those fake leather covers on there which stripped the surface when taken off. And the dealer wasn't interested at all in fixing the problem once we bought the car, despite his verbal promises.Anyhow got a nice leather steering wheel from Ebay for £15. It looked like new and had been taken from a Tekna. A different Nissan dealer charged us £25 fitting. So £40 fitted, which i was happy with. Just glad to see the back of the wrecked wheel.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The note does seem to be made of reactive plastic.
I left one of those rubber foam anti-skid mats on the front windscreen shelf for a week or so, and I had to peel it off, leaving small pieces stuck on the shelf.

I had one atop the Corsa dash for years with no problem......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts