Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My E11 2011 1,5dci, has a strange problem with steering and brakes. When I brake, the steering wheel shakes heavily but only if I drive straight, if I braks in a curve there is almost nothing to notice.
First I think it was the brake disc, so I replace the disc and pad, same problem again, so I change the rod same problem.
Then I discovered that if I turn the steering wheel very gently when i drivning, the shaking starts not as heavy when I brak.
Could it be that something was wrong with the electric power steering motor or shock absorbers?

Flimmer from Danmark

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Hi Flimmer, welcome to the forum. I realise your from Demmark, but you stated you "replaced the disc and pad", but did you change both wheels disc's and pads? Just a typo error ('s)?
I wish I could converse in Danish :wink:.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Hi Flimmer,

My e11 (2008 1.6 auto) did the same, but changing the discs and pads did cure it, even though the disks looked perfect, and I couldn't measure any runout.

What I did notice was that when stationary with the engine running, if I turn the steering slightly and let go, the wheel will shake left and right at what looks the same frequency as the vibration when braking. I wonder if there is a lack of damping in the steering that makes it very sensitive to disc problems.

I would check that the steering column joints are tight below the pedals, we had a member whose steering came loose once.
Then check that the subframe rubber mounts are sound, they tend to come apart at the rear of the subframe below your feet.

Reactions: Devonboy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi mnl

But it's 4-5 months since I change disces and pads.
I did notice vibration stop when stationary after 2-3 minutes with the engine running, I miss the old hydraulic steering model :)
I'll whil try to check steering column joints and subframe rubber mounts, but is not the model from 2008-2009 who had that problem?
But thanks for the input

·
Registered
528 Posts
What I did notice was that when stationary with the engine running, if I turn the steering slightly and let go, the wheel will shake left and right at what looks the same frequency as the vibration when braking. I wonder if there is a lack of damping in the steering that makes it very sensitive to disc problems.
If the vehicle is stationary having the wheels balanced will not do much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi Silverhairs
Brand new rims and tires, same problem as the old tires, because I think that was the problem to, put no.
I forgot to tell when I bought the car last summer, It had a gentle shaking but also jumping like driving, but it disappeared when I change from alu to steel rim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe but have found out a little more.
About 0 degrees c, the vibration is reduced by approx 90% and if it has been through a car wash, reduced by approx 50%
It's funny for now it is every 2 time, the vibrantion comes when I brake after car wash.
Now the vibration is change, so when I braks in a curve it vibrates from around 60km/t to 40km/t and straight for each 2 time

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Ball joints, drive shafts, steering rack. Have you had the steering geometry checked out? Do you have MOT's over there, have you taken it to a mechanic?
I had vibration with my Vauxhall Cresta, when braking, got new discs and pads, the discs looked OK when taken off, but when thrown on the ground the fins between were rusted that much, they fell in two :surprise:.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ball joints changed, steering geometry checked is was toe out and fix by the mechanic, It did not help.
MOT yes every 2 years for old cars and new car first 5 years after purchase and there after 2 years.
Okay I will check again, but the mechanic could't find any errors on the discs

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am also getting pretty much same symptoms as flimmer
have just looked at steering rack , and " extra play" on d/s a bit to much for my liking
Having jacked up car , then pull push on wheel creates knocking
at this point i am not ruling out "any ball joint" but i have also replaced discs, ball joints and droplinks in the past
only for the same shaking to reoccur soon after (days/weeks after)
when i get more time i will take track rod ends off (will probably replace with new) and while there get a good look at it
But from experience, i so far, believe this steering rack will need to be replaced
will update in next few days , all being well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem I had is now found. The brake caliper was the problem, even though I've pushed them in, the pushed too much on brake disc, they must be pressed almost completely out and then fully in twice, before they work normally again.
I think it is the brake fluid that is the problem when air bubbles occur

·
Registered
7 Posts
update
so eventually got round to replacing
discs (about 1.5mm worn)
pads (not even half worn)
track rod ends
tracking done/ rechecked
squirted grease "down intermediate steering column shaft"
new tyres on front (needed anyway)
and all has settled down with no shaking whilst braking, but not without still able to detect that slight play
which can now only be from that steering column shaft
HOWEVER
upon reflection i do recall it still passed MOT last year
when my above symptoms where near enough same as
the date of my first post (see above)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts