Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could possibly be wrong if you have to turn the steering wheel 15 degrees clockwise to steer in a straight line?

If you level the steering the car travels in a left direction.

Both new front tyres with correct pressure, new wishbone and bushes.

any guidance would greatly be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
new wishbone and new tires = the tracking needs doing

over time and the miles the bushes wear and if the cars been looked after its been tracked up to allow for the wear, new bushes will put the alignment back to where it was so it will need adjusting, 2-3 degrees at the wheels will be enought to throw the steering wheel out
Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
You need the wheels aligned, not the tracking set.
The garage is going to need one of those 4 wheel laser tracking set ups.

What happens most times is the spanner monkey sets the tracking by adjusting one track rod (whichever he can get at easiest) This corrects the problem with tyre wear, but puts the steering wheel out of centre. This is likely a bad thing on a "modern" car like the Note, as the electronics measures the angle of the steering wheel, and there is a reset procedure to carry out if you mess with it.

In The Olden Days, you used to put a peg in the steering rack to set the centre position, then line everything up, I doubt if there is such a simple solution nowadays

Edit:

They can simply set the wheel straight ahead, and clamp it with one of those little doo-dahs that sit on the seat.

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mine drives off to the left too. It started when i had the tyres changed Nissan Dec2011. I put it down to having the wrong air pressure at first, as this seemed to help when setting to the correct pressure. But it was not long before it started to pull over to the left again.

Took it to have the tracking adjusted, which was correct by using lasers. However, we adjusted it to see if it would help. We both looked under the car, as it was up on the ramp, see if we could see anything wrong, all looked fine.

12 months on, car goes for its first MOT. Goes to Nissan and I tell them it pulls to the left, please check the tracking.
Pick the car u and they say it is all okay. WHAT!!! O yes and that will be £28 for checking it...

I have just put it down to a bad tyre. Friend had the same issue once. They will need changing at some point this year again and will sort the car out then.

How did you know the bush had gone?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Whenever mine pulls to one side it is because of yet another puncture
in a rear tyre meaning a rear tyre is nearly flat.

(I have had more punctures in 10 months on this car than in the previous 30 years that I have been driving
)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
ok then alignment (common refer to as tracking in ye olde times) thereare 2local places to me with alignment tables that does everything toe,camber, track and even works out all the angles and what needs adjusting inc cornering weights £65 plus vat a go tho, the garage around the corner does the standardlaser track and toe for 25 quid cash
in the past withnon air bag cars you use to track it up if the s/wheel was out after it was doneyou just simple unbolt it and move it around a few splines

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rich Note said:
Mine drives off to the left too. It started when i had the tyres changed Nissan Dec2011. I put it down to having the wrong air pressure at first, as this seemed to help when setting to the correct pressure. But it was not long before it started to pull over to the left again.
Ihave just put it down to a bad tyre. Friend had the same issue once. They will need changing at some point this year again and will sort the car out then.

Did you try changing wheels around ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
got around to checking the tyre pressures on her in door`s note an found them to be all uneven, pressurized them according to the drivers door sticker and seems much better to me now..........

·
Registered
455 Posts
UPDATE:Yesterday I had four new continentals at £95 each ;-), and it now drives perfect. No pulling to the left. That last set of boots lasted 2 years and id around 23k miles.

Why did it pull to the left? I put it down to a bad tyre. Only thing that would help was to change the air pressure in that one tyre and it did not pull as much.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The Note doesn't seem to like losing even a couple of PSI in the fronts before the road camber etc give you that feel of a left pull.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Back in the day when I was ultra skint
and had a mk2 cortina
which kept going to left, one of the works mechanics swapped my tyres front to rear ,problem disappeared ,he said it was uneven tyre wear and although still road legal that when i scrapped enough money together it was time to get new tyres.
Same guy had checked my steering ,tracking etc and made some corrections.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts