Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all, wondered if anyone could help, purchased a 56 plate note for my wife a couple of mnoths ago, a fantastic car, but yesterday my wife noticed an issue when steering, basically when going to full lock or inbetween sounds like a spring clicking, lound noise, lights also dim and revs drop only for slight seconds. This issue is intermittent, does not occur everytine you turn, but obviously something has gone amiss, but do not where to start. Any ideas ?

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
It could possibly be a CV(constant velocity) joint in the drive train. Does the clicking noise go faster or slower, according to the car speed when cornering.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
doesn't sound like cv joints but could be a poorly battery, especially if it's the original, does occur when journey has just started or when car has not been used for some time? if so, have the battery tested as the colder weather will show any weakness in it.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
A spring twanging noise can be caused by a spring clip at the base of the steering column catching on the carpet as the column turns.
The dimming lights could be as mdvineng says a duff battery, but I would advise having someone look at the front suspension linkages, something could have come adrift and is catching as the wheels turn lock to lock. (Especially if this just started suddenly)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
at full lock the electronic power steering will pull the most current - causing the lights to dim, its more noticable if the car does lots of short runs as the battery doesnt get chance to fully charge a good long run should sort it,
weak battery may also be the cause the cold weather will soon kill it off tbh

as above the twanging sound could well be the locking tab on the universal joint at thebottom of the steering column (just before it goes through the bulkhead), thay tend to snap of on oneside on the earlier notes

Edited by: flash22

1 - 5 of 5 Posts