Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
i have a slight knock in the steering when i turn right. Does anyone know what this could be?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Depends where the knock is coming from? could be anything from steering knuckle,track control arm, top bushing housing or even the power assist mounts just below the steering wheel assembly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have that aswell have had it from new car has been back to dealers 3 times so far and they have found nothing wrong they think its the magnets in the electric steering whereas i dont and typically when they take it ut for test drive it doesnt happen

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Mine only does it when turning to the right so that I can reverse onto my drive and then only does as the brake is applied, seems to be from the servo motor area for the steering column, could so easily be the UJ in the steering arm or the reduction gearing from the steering servo motor, either way it was up on the ramps yesterday for it's MOT at my friends garage in Liverpool and all the important bits are spot on. Those giant puppets are superb by the way.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
My Corsa used to do this, had a very similar suspension set up at the front.

Between the anti-roll bar and the suspension leg there is a very long link rod with a ball joint at each end. It pretty much ties in a knot as you turn the steering.
These wear like nobody's business into the straight ahead position and cause a "crack" you can feel through the steering when you start to turn. Oddly, it was always when turning right too.

A new one would cure it for a few months, I got used to the "crack" in the end, it was easier to adapt than repair it every few weeks.

Might be the same thing on a Note

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all
I have put some grease on the joint behind the pedals so i will see if that helps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive had this looked at now and they thnk its the top mount bearing being dried up. Ive tried to grease it up but it may need replacing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got a 2006 sve 1.5 diesel , had a knock on the steering since i bought the car in Jan 20012 , not ever time i turn only now and again .It just failed it MOT on the front suspension arms and a broken coil spring . Think the spring was a very bad pot hole i hit a few months ago.
anyway had them done so far so good no knocking . bit early to be sure but will update in a few weeks time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Also ended up doing front arms shocks and anti roll bar 2 cost me a arm n leg but my note is sweet now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts