Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have hit a snag while replacing the ABS Clockspring on my 2007 E11 1.6 Note SVC..

Now everything is back together, is there a way I can reset the SAS sensor without expensive ODB2 equipment??

Regards.

DG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought this through again this morning and put my OBD2 reader back on the car.. I discovered the SAS was reading 720deg..... So I took it all apart again, took the sensor off and wound it back 2 full turns and BINGO the fault cleared....

End of story I think.... (y)(y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke too soon. 2 days and 6 extra miles on the clock and the airbag light came back on. This time the fault displayed 'Driver airbag module shorted' also the radio controls stopped working. I took the clock spring out and 1 of the 8 connections on the front socket was open and the airbag (yellow) connector had fallen to pieces.. So much for low cost parts.. Are all these cheapies this poor. Do I really have to go to Nissan with £198 for an original?

Anyways.. This one has gone back FoC and another is on order from different supplier. I have noticed also just the loom/cable is available. I wonder if this will be a good route in future. 🤔

·
Registered
725 Posts
The clock spring comes pre-set from the factory with a plastic locking "lug" to ensure the cable is kept at it's centre setting.
If the cable is wound to far one way or the other, when you turn the steering it will snap the cable or connector as you are putting extra tension on the cable and connector.
You say in an earlier post that you wound it back 2 full turns, if you are refering to the clock spring then i'm afraid that you caused the "fault" and the damage to the clock spring. The locking "lug" i refer to should NEVER be removed until the last possible moment in the re-assembly process or it can throw out the number of turns on the cable coiled inside the plastic housing and cause it to break when turning the steering.
BTW I paid under £45 for my replacement and it worked like a charm so the cheapies can be as good as the expensive ones from a Nissan stealer.
As for just buying the cable, personally i would never go down that route as the cable HAS to be wound an exact number of turns for each directional turn of the steering wheel.To few turns one way or the other and it WILL break.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 'wound back 2 turns' was the Steering Angle Sensor which was 720deg out of phase when I finally figured out the fault. This is a separate unit screwed on the back of the clock spring. I didn't have to Disassemble the clock spring. It managed to break all on its own. I took the OLD one apart and I see how they are put together. this one had 3 busted tracks in the flex cable.,

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ah !
The clock spring that was fitted in my old Note didn't have the sensor you mention, so i assumed ( wrongly ) that you meant the actual clock spring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Strangely, in all the videos I have seen and pictures I studied researching this clockspring, the first time I saw this SAS was when I took my steering column apart. I'd be interested to find out why this is such a rare piece of kit.... Or maybe it isn't... 🤔

·
Registered
725 Posts
Maybe it's something that was made "better by design" on later models ?
My car ( when i had it ) was a 2009 model n-tec so maybe the year and model means a different setup ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts