Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, bought a 2006 1.4 Nissan Note S which has an issue, basically when I start car cold the engine revs up down and sometimes even stalls. After starting again and leaving it for a minute or so the engine levels out.

if you drive the car the engine jumps I’m first few gears but once engine is warm Car starts up fine and gear changes are smooth etc.

I got a diagnostic machine and it bougot up the following codes P0340 (camshaft position sensor) and P0037 (H02S Heater Control Circuit Sensor)

I got a new camshaft sensor replaced by the local garage but it’s not made a difference can now getting another code P0011 ( camshaft timing over advanced)

they’ve advised I replace the O2 sensor now but I’m not convinced this will work and don’t want to spending money on something that may not need doing..

can anyone help, point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The P0037 refers to the post-cat sensor, it might put the car in limp mode or it might just set the eml as it doesn't affect control of the engine only catalyst monitoring.

The cam angle is a worry, these engines have a hydraulic do-ings (I forget the name) on the cam sprocket, operated by oil pressure through the VVT valve on top of the engine. If this is stuck/broken then you get this code. Running the cam full advanced will make it a pig to start...

On the other hand, changing the sensor changed the fault, and sensors can be faulty out of the box

There was a post on here from someone who actually had worn out cam chain and sprockets, I can't find it though, and no-one else has ever had trouble on here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My wife's Hyundai i10 had this problem and we got the P0011 and P0014 codes. It relates to the VVT(Variable Valve Timing) as Mnl says above. Usually the valve/solenoid is stuck and the cam timing is out.The cam timing is adjusted by a solenoid which is controlled by oil pressure. If the valve is faulty then the cam timing can be wrong giving you the jerky movement until warm. In my wife's car I replaced the valve and all was well ( it is easy to get to on a i10 and a common problem on these engines ) As the pressure rises with engine revs it moves the solenoid which alters the cam timing. I took my wifes old one apart and the solenoid was stuck in the wide open position. Not sure were the valve is on a Note, I'll have a root around to see if I can find it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @mnl for that info, I know very little about cars so I think I'm gonna struggle with this, any pointers on where to look first in terms of the VVT valve, location etc ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife's Hyundai i10 had this problem and we got the P0011 and P0014 codes. It relates to the VVT(Variable Valve Timing) as Mnl says above. Usually the valve/solenoid is stuck and the cam timing is out.The cam timing is adjusted by a solenoid which is controlled by oil pressure. If the valve is faulty then the cam timing can be wrong giving you the jerky movement until warm. In my wife's car I replaced the valve and all was well ( it is easy to get to on a i10 and a common problem on these engines ) As the pressure rises with engine revs it moves the solenoid which alters the cam timing. I took my wifes old one apart and the solenoid was stuck in the wide open position. Not sure were the valve is on a Note, I'll have a root around to see if I can find it. Hope that helps.
@SJCA thanks for your response on this, yes anything you could possibly find would be much appreciated thanks - I have little knowledge on cars, may be something for another garage to look at if I can't fix it

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
On the 1.4, the VVT control solenoid is next to the oil filler cap- but you have to remove all the airbox and inlet stuff, it is a pain just to look at it.
Follow the instructions to change the sparkplugs, it is next to the coilpack for #1 cylinder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts