Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the dreaded starter motor screech on first start up in the morning. It doesnt do it for the rest of the day but is there again the next morning. There are posts here on the forum that suggest this is a common occurrence, but I cant seem to find a post where anyone has deduced what it is and what to do about it. The noise may be jovial to some, but it's worrying me as it cant be a characteristic. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Is it the starter motor?
The most common cause of the 'wake up the neighbours' screech is a slipping aux drive belt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just my presumption that its the starter motor, but the aux belt could easily be the cause. It's just unusual that it only happens once on the first start up of the day. If the belt was slipping I would expect it to happen at other times. Is it easy assess whether the belt is under-tensioned?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Pete
It's normally moisture that causes it. As soon as this is dispersed, which normally happens very quickly, all is then OK.

I'll leave it to others to describe checking the belt tension (adjustment ismanual by the wa, it'sas if Nissan had never heard of springs!!) but a common solution seems to be the oocasional application of belt dressing.

I must admit mine only happens when it's been really damp overnight so I have done nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Nigel, I'm beginning to come round to the idea that it isnt an impending mechanical implosion! I'll try some belt dressing, in the form of teflon spray or pipe lubricant (the only things I've got to hand) and see if it cures it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
No NOT lubricant, you want it to grip not slip.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My old mechanic friend told me that french chalk was the best thing to apply to a noisy drive belt. as french chalk is not easily available,talcum powder is just as good! (go and raid the bathroom cabinet)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If you must you can use soap as it will queiten the belt for a little while so you can eliminate it from the possible noise source, belts should be clean and the correct tension to work properly and some lubricants contain solvents in aerosol tins that can degrade the belt materials.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brilliant, and I had a Mr Bean moment there when I thought I should lubricate it to stop the noise and forgot all about the grip, durr!! Love the tip about talcum powder, if it ever stops raining I'll try it out. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I used "proper" belt dressing, lasted 6 weeks, and squeaks just as loud now.

One of my friends used pledge on his for years because he was too mean to buy a new one.

The only real cure is to dismantle the entire car to get at the adjuster.

Jack the front offside wheel up (I've lost interest already

Remove wheel
Tear the plastic access panel off the inner wing, don't worry, the clips will break anyway, just buy new ones.

Now you can see the front of the engine.

I turn the radio up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, now I know what the noise is, I'm just glad it isnt anything more serious and that adjustments to the belt etc, can wait until Mr Nissan has it for his outrageously expensive annual service.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Could be worse, next door neighbour has just paid £130 to have a headlamp BULB changed on her Citroen due to the need to remove the wheel arch liner and replace clips etc.
She tried to get the Halfords £6.95 fit a bulb service but they won't touch any number of French cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts