Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, hope you dont mind me asking possibly a dumb question but the search feature has let me down.
I have a 2014 note tekna with start stop and yesterday the engine warning light came on and the auto light keeps flashing.

Now a google search suggested it might be the battery on its way out, which is fine, its the original one from the looks of it. But to double check I bought myself an obd reader off Amazon, I plugged it in when i got home hoping to confirm it was the battery. When the codes came back they were for the oil life and a dpf blockage.

So I used a discount voucher for eurocar parts and got myself anew oil filter and fresh oil. After an oil change the code is still there and the reader clears it but the error comes back when I switch the car back on. Will this dissapear After a run? Ive not had chance to take it out yet.
Ive not been able to find much info about how to reset the oil management bit, though I think ive managed to reset the service interval with some random button pressing, ?

I'm hoping some dpf cleaner and a good run out of eco mode will clear the sensor.

Do any of you have any experience with these issues?

I greatly appreciate the help.

All the best, Tim

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Hi "Twosoc" welcome to the forum. An OBD reader in trained hands is a useful tool to have, but as you said
"I think I've managed to reset the service interval with some random button pressing"

Thank God your not in charge of our nuclear weapons, who knows what will happen if you start pressing a few random buttons?
Why did you even begin with the service intervals? What's that got to do with the oil life and blocked DPF? OK if you've not changed the oil in a very long time, changing that is the first step. You need to get on a motorway, being a diesel, keep it in third gear and keep to the speed limit for a good few miles, then again in your owners handbook, on a certain page, it will tell you what you need to do, and to be honest, the speed is quite low, but it gives you the information.
A good blast down the motorway for at least 30+ miles will also help it
Really in my mind, running around in ECO mode will help to block-up the DPF, also if you drive around like an old maid. A diesel needs to be driven with all the restrictions the government have made manufacturers use to cut down pollution.

Put your OBD reader at the back of your garage and forget it, till you have had full instructions on how to use it correctly.
I got given an OBD reader with my new car, I have to use it with a smart phone, It's on the shelf behind me still in the box, it will not see the light of day, while in my possession.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks silverhairs, I was reluctant to post on here as I've seen the vitreol and condescension that some posters feel they need to spew rather than helpful comments. I'm glad this isn't the case here, I think I'll hang onto my obd reader though thanks, maybe with time I'll develop the training necessary to use it. Fingers crossed.

If anyone else has some relevant information I'd be more than grateful, but until then I'll continue to dive like a grandma.

Maybe this isnt the forum for me, I've seen how you treat some users silverhairs but didn't realise it didnt need any provoking. I'll just sit back and wait for your dismissive and condescending response.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Stop being a snow flake, you didn't have to wait too long for my reply :wink:.

Going back to when I was in college, we had to learn how to use a slide rule, but I doubt you know what a slide rule is, we didn't have calculators back then, and we certainly have any use for an OBD.

But my tip about your DPF is correct. PS. Put me on your ignore list, because your on mine !!!

Bye Bye, and the best of luck with you OBD:kiss:.

·
Registered
821 Posts
A question on the subject of a DPF if i may hijack this thread a little.
IF a car has one fitted and it begins to clog, a reg cycle should begin automatically ( is that correct ? )
If the regen cycle starts what would the driver notice happening to the car ?
Would there be anything obvious like increased engine revs for example ?
Would the driver not notice anything at all ?
Just curious as my car, a diesel Note, had increased engine revs two days ago for no reason at all as far as i could determine, also the red engine light came on when i accelerated but then went off but the engine still had higher than normal engine revs.Have yet to determine if my car has a DPF fitted though, will have a search underneath when i do an oil change later in the week.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
When I had my diesel, I never really noticed any difference with the running of the engine, I had it 7 years and no DPF light came on, the granddaughter drives a bit like miss Daisy, he mum tells her that, she's never had the DPF light come on, but there again, she's not got ECO mode, it's only an E11.
When I had the Note, and when the Mrs drove it, being a diesel, not revving high she never got into 5th gear, might have used a bit more fuel, but it didn't hurt the engine.
I believe when the DPF recycle is in action, the engine's revs do fluctuate? If your DPF light doesn't come on, don't worry. Not sure what year your Note is, but I don't think the earlier ones had a DPF? Mind was 2011.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My car is a 59 plate 2009.
I have not even seen a DPF light on the dash, either illuminated or not, you can usually see the outline of the various lights on the dash,except for the DPF light.
Like i said not sure if my car has one or not, but an OBDII scan half an hour ago threw up code P0670 which is the GPCM AGAIN !!!!!!!!!! Only replaced the damned thing in Feb this year so looking to get a replacement under warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ah silverhairs, you didn't let me down but you won't see this as I'm ignored, boo hoo. I really dont get what your problem is, why are you even on a forum if all you do is dismiss people and offer no help? Should we all just say how good you are and stroke your ego? Pathetic.

I'm genuinely interested in what proper members of the forum have to say, as so far the welcome has been far from warm.

Yes I'm still learning about my obd reader but that does not mean i should throw it in the back of a garage, just because you are too old to use one dont tar eveyone with the same brush.

Sineu I absolutely dont mind the thread jack, it was something i have always been curious about

·
Registered
821 Posts
I seem to remember reading somewhere about the auto light flashing being linked to a failing battery.
As for the stop start, afraid i can be of no help there as i have never had a car with it, to me it's just a way for manufacturers to pass the emissions legislation and a way to make more money when they go wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah all Google searches point that way. How does the car know when the oil has been changed? I thought it might have something to do with the service interval hence the reset, but I can't find anymore info about it. The oil sensor aparently can tell pressure, temp etc but can't identify quality so I was confused as to what to reset when the oil was changed.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've not heard anything or read anything relating to a car knowing when the oil has been changed.
All it could be is that the service interval has been met and the car's "brain" lights the service indicator which is extinguished by the person who services it.If they don't then a quick google search will show how to reset the interval once a service has been done.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hi twosoc, if you are still running with the original battery, change it. At five years old it's about done mate and you can bet your bottom dollar that the stop start light will flash when the battery is weak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks jymmer thats what I thought too, i know rhe start stop technology is hard on the battery that's why they have the special type. I've just ordered a new one that arrives on Tuesday hopefully. Im wondering if the app I downloaded for the obd reader found saved codes as the second one I tried came up with nothing. Possibly why the codes wouldn't clear with the first one. I'll have to book myself on a obd reader course. :)
As for the oil life monitor possibly I got the wrong end of the stick, unless it's brand specific for another car .

·
Registered
772 Posts
The new battery will be a good investment either way.
Experience has shown me that an old battery can throw up many problems.
Random warning lights on the dash, flashing stop start light, ticking noise when starting, alarm/ immobiliser playing up.
The fault code readings and warning lights can be corrupted by a dodgy battery.
I'm glad you are replacing it, and please let the forum know how you progress mate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, after a few false starts ( no pun intended) i got there in the end. The first battery has to go back as it arrived leaking acid, the second I got from euro car parts and clicked on the regular battery not the stop start one, my fault entirely for trying to ordwr on my phone, so tonight's battery, despite being a bit too big for the space (I had to modify the tray by gently beating the left retainer with a lump hammer) worked a treat and once the error codes were cleared didnt show up again. Little disappointed it didnt fit straight away, I might have to see if it causes any further problems as its very cramped in that area now. It was the one recommended for the note, but seemed an inch or two too long.

Fingers crossed that it will hold. I've a feeling the earlier codes were something to do with the app I was using, I tried a few and they each gave a different code.this one seems to be consistent at least

So thanks for the reasurrance guys, I hate not knowing what to fix.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Fingers crosse you issue is now sorted,let us know either way it could help others in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the engine light came back on after I drove about 200 yards,so back to the obd reader, and it threw up a dpf fault, so a quick trip to halfords for some dpf cleaner and some egr cleaner for good measure and a blast down the motorway and it's cleared it. I'll see how long this lasts, I really hope it does as my car fixing money is rapudly dwindling.

So the battery may not have needed to be replaced but like you said, it was on the way out, plus it may have thrown out some random codes. Maybe if anyone else is having the same problem a can of spray and a tub of dpf cleaner is a much cheaper option than a battery.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Fair enough mate, but dare I say your stop start light no longer flashes..
And you now have peace of mind, that going towards the winter and beyond, you won't have any battery issues to contend with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly, and to be fair she runs like a dream now, I was always happy before but now she's so smooth, like a brand new car again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 64 plate note. Blinking stop start light. Changed the battery but it’s still flashing. I did buy an efb battery to replace the old one so the new battery should have solved the problem. I have no idea though. I think I may have underlying issues as my dashboard lights dim when I put my lights on and my ambient temperature gauge and my change gear indicator on the dash disappeared along with the gauge on the dash to show you how hard your foot is on the accelerator. Any help or point in the correct direction will be appreciated 👍

1 - 20 of 20 Posts