Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Interesting issues brought up on that article, Devonboy. Probably in some rare cases the negatives mentioned like a mechanic leaving his tin of copper grease open to the elements would have an effect on the braking system or excessive run out caused by applying way too much grease, but I would be dubious as to the others. In my long experience using copper grease on a brake service I have never had any negative issues whatsoever....It does work ! although the new modern-fangled materials like ceratec may work a bit better.
I would argue against the statement on the Mintex site "As copper is conductive, the presence of the metal in the braking system
can interfere with the magnetic sensors found within a car's ABS and
electronics." I don't see how a non-ferrous metal can interfere with a magnetic sensor. Copper grease is applied to surfaces that do not rotate or move enough to create an electric current through the magnets in the sensors.
I loved the bit "unlike copper-based lubricants, allows the pads to move freely, eliminating issues such as drag and wear."......Eliminating...realllly??? absolutely NO drag or wear ???....LOL
It's definately a Mintec sales pitch but I would like to see independent reports and opinions on the negatives of copper grease before making a decision to stop using it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for the link Devonboy. It doesn't explain though how and why copper grease simply works and is the lubricant of choce of many a mechanic. The article is again a sales pitch. The galvanic or bi-metal corrosion that is discussed has never happened to me when used to lubricate caliper sliders and when smeared on the backs of pads to kill squeal. It has occured in my early days when I used copper grease between the hubs and tatty alloy wheels......to prevent the alloys sticking on. The buggers welded themselves to the hubs and took a lot of heat + brute force + swearing to get the wheels back off.
Certainly agree that copper grease has no place with alloy components as the explanations given in the textar and mintex sites show...... but with brake applications it is fine.....in practice. Granted, the components used in various makes of car will have differing metal compositions and the galvanic corrosion will have some effect, greater or lesser, but in such a small scale the practical effects will be negligable. Aye, using the modern lubricating compounds will negate corrosion so will be slightly better in that respect but copper grease is easy to get hold of and is cheaper.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
If you watch on youtube "dellboys garage" he explains why you use copperslip on brake discs when he's changing the discs on the rear of his motorbike. OK it's a motorbike site on servicing your motorbike, but he does explain in detail the differences with different types of grease.
He has many posts, but the disc brakes on a bikework the same as a cars brakes.I'm a retired engineer, but anybody with a bit of sense will understand what different types of grease do
I think the post is Triumph rear disc brakes, he also covers the front brakes. He also shows you how to properly clean your callipers so that they float as to not warpdiscs under braking. Hope you find the post as it will help you out distinguishing the different types of grease

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Wonder if he's got it sorted out yet, would be nice to know?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So I took it to my mechanic and he said it sounds like it could be the callipers so he took the car in and looked at it. He said he took the brakes to bits and scrubbed the pads reset the callipers. I took the car away and nothing has changed. Still making the noise. The mechanic said if it doesn't work the only thing he can suggest it replacing the brake pads again. They are only a 18 months old???

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Looks as though your mechanic was Nissan trained, If you take your motor to a Nissan dealer with a fault they will change an item (which you will get charged for) and if that doesn't cure the problem, they will exchange some other item( again you will get charged for), they are not trained to strip something down first to see if it can be fixed, mind you at the charges they charge per hour, it's cheaper to get a new motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My mechanic seems like a decent guy he knows me and I'm a regular customer. He didn't charge me for the work he did the other day. But, I did think it can't possibly be the pads as they're only 18 months old and I haven't done a lot of miles with them.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Hello, I'm new here and I'm looking for some advice.
I've had my 06 Note SE for just over 6 months and it's started making a loud squeaking noise, almost like a bird cheep. It's sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side wheel and it only happens when I turn right. It also stops making the noise when I apply the brakes.
Any advice? My local mechanic took a look and said my brakes are glazed and that could be it. Could it be the brake pad fitting?
The brakes work fine, it's just embarrassing driving with this noise.
Please help.Lets look ta the problem again. Lets leave out contaminated copperslip or too much copperslip.
Wheel bearing, could be a possibility, glazing of the pads? I cannot find where anybody has talked about the disc's, are the disc's glazed? Worth a thought?
Little while ago I purchased from "Euro Car Parts" when they were doing their 50% discount on braking items, I purchased new pads, new disk's and new pins and the spring type plates that hold the pads in for just under £70.00the lot Bargain
. I think "Coolhands" has done a video on you-tube about changing your own pads and discs, worth a watch if you want to save a couple of quid

I was told after my last service that my pads and discs needed replacing in about 6000 miles, well when I only do about 4300 miles a year, that's 18 months down the road
, I saw ECP doing 50% off so I got them, they don't eat anything, keep them in stock till the time comes

·
Super Moderator
2,057 Posts
Don't quote me on this....but don't the discs 'sing' when they start getting too thin. Sounds like tapping a chime with toffee hammer. Can't expain it any other way.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Do they sing the "Japanese National Anthem" or "Any old iron"

·
Super Moderator
2,057 Posts
Depends on your level of driving experience....you could make them sing what you like.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Have you ever driven in Germany, on some of their roads they make your tyres whistle, they even put signs up warning you about this

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Best way I can explain this noise is a bird chirping. But it's only when I'm very slightly turning right which can be very annoying on some roads as it seems like it's doing it all the time.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
You first posted over a year ago, are you seriously still having issues?

Find a new mechanic.

·
Registered
528 Posts
silverhairs said:
Do they sing the "Japanese National Anthem" or "Any old iron"
Silverhairs, that song brings back memories of the late 40's when I had to sing this song at xmas parties, "You look sweet talk about a treat"

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Well "Devonboy" here's the full lyrics

<div jsname="U8S5sf">Any old iron? Any old iron?
Any, any, any old iron?
You look neat. Talk about a treat!
You look so dapper from your napper to your feet.
Dressed in style, brand-new tile,
And your father's old green tie on.
But I wouldn't give you tuppence for your old watch and chain,
Old iron, old iron."
<div ="UH8R2" jsname="U8S5sf">Just a week or two ago my dear old Uncle Bill,
He went and kicked the bucket and he left me in his will.
So I went around the road to see my Auntie Jane.
She said, "your Uncle Bill has left you a watch and chain."
So I put it on right across my derby kell.
The sun was shining on it and it made me look a swell.
I went out, strolling round about.
A crowd of kiddies followed me and they began to shout,
<div ="UH8R2" jsname="U8S5sf">I won't forget the day I went to London on the spree.
I saw the mayor of London there. That's who I went to see.
He came along in a carriage and a pair.
I shouted, "come on, boys! All throw your hats up in the air."
Just then the mayor, he began to smile,
Pointed to my face and said, "Lor Lummy, what a dial!"
Started Lord-a-mayoring, and then to my dismay,
He pointed to my watch and chain and shouted to me, "Hey,
Any old iron? ..."
<div ="UH8R2" jsname="U8S5sf">I shan't forget the day I married Miss Elisa Brown.
The way the people laughed at me, it made me feel a clown.
I arrived in a carriage called a hack,
When I suddenly discovered I'd my trousers front to back.
So I walked down the aisle, dressed in style,
The vicar took a look at me and then began to smile.
The organ started playing. The bells began to ring.
The people started laughing and the choir began to sing,
"Any old iron? ..."
<div ="UH8R2" jsname="U8S5sf">Kicked the bucket = died.
Derby kell = a portly chest/stomach.
A swell = a well off gentleman
Dial = Cockney slang for face

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just luv it! The Xmas party, Father bashing the tap into a keg of Watneys XXX ale, all around the Joanna (which needed tuning) churning out the old songs. Then all kipping on the floor overnight.
No T.V. in those days. Happy Days..

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Grotney's Red Barrel - remember it well and brewed just down the road from me in Mortlake.

Every kid had a Red Barrel keyring
and then, when we old enough to drink it, chose anything else. I still remember it as a beer coloured liquid that tasted sod all like beer.

That said, no teenage party would have been complete without a 'Party Seven' of the stuff!

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Watneys may have been OK, but a Double Diamond works wonders

21 - 40 of 51 Posts