Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here and I'm looking for some advice.
I've had my 06 Note SE for just over 6 months and it's started making a loud squeaking noise, almost like a bird cheep. It's sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side wheel and it only happens when I turn right. It also stops making the noise when I apply the brakes.
Any advice? My local mechanic took a look and said my brakes are glazed and that could be it. Could it be the brake pad fitting?
The brakes work fine, it's just embarrassing driving with this noise.
Please help.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Don't see how it would be the brakes as the whole assembly turns with the wheel so any noise would be consistent irrespective of the plane of the wheel. More than likely a wheel bearing, did your 'mechanic' check this.

·
Super Moderator
2,057 Posts
Does the noise stop as you're applying the brakes, at the same time as you're turning.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds very much like it is the brake pads sticking slightly on the carrier. I would get a proper brake clean and service with new pads if necessary. This should sort out the noise

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I'm confused or am I missing something obvious?

The pads, disc and caliper all turn with the wheel so why does the OP only get the noise when the wheel is in one 'plane'?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read online that the brake pad carriers can be really noisy from vibrating when they are sticking. I'm still not sure why it would only do it when turning right. I do feel like it has to be something to do with the brakes as the noise stops when I press the brake while turning.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
They can indeed. I am still sticking with a wheel bearing diagnosis until convinced otherwise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I had the brakes changed and it seemed to fix the problem until today when I noticed the squeak has come back. It very faint at the minute but I fear it will only get louder.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had something similar before. I'd get a squeak from a front brake that correlated to the wheels turning. It would start once the brakes warmed up, stop over about 40mph and would stop as soon as I touched the brake pedal. It didn't correlate to turning in a certain direction though.

Im not too mechanically minded but it was something to do with the brake caliper and it was fixed with some copper grease. Cost £15 and never happened again.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
The caliper slide pinscan stick if not serviced correctly

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had new break pads last February and the noise stopped until a couple of months ago. I'm going to have to get it looked at again. The noise is really annoying.

Anyone else got any ideas what this could be? I'll mention the calipers to the mechanic.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Get the caliper slider pins serviced, make sure the caliper piston is not sticking then put a smear of copper grease on the back of each pad. A lot of garages don't do this step. The grease will stop the slight metal to metal vibration that causes the squeak. Some makes of pads will come with a thin plastic shim stuck to the back of the pad that will do the same job as the grease.
Depending on the road conditions, driving style and atmospheric conditions where you live, you might have to have a brake service every year or more.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have never understood the obsession with copper grease, a combination of clay,grease and copper filings. Better to use the correct stuff from Mintex the brake people for pads and guide pins.

·
Super Moderator
2,057 Posts
Devonboy said:
I have never understood the obsession with copper grease, a combination of clay,grease and copper filings. Better to use the correct stuff from Mintex the brake people for pads and guide pins.

Errr, because it works.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Boysie said:
Devonboy said:

Errr, because it works.
Take the time to search the web and you will find copper grease should never come into contact with aluminium.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Devonboy said:
Boysie said:
Devonboy said:

Errr, because it works.
Take the time to search the web and you will find copper grease should never come into contact with aluminium.
Surely all standard brake pads have steel backings?
So with the steel backing against the steel piston, there wil be no bi-metallic corrosion that you would get if there was an aluminium component.
I have used copper grease on many cars brake pads over the years without a single problem. Out of curiosity, what is the Mintex product made from?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
We are lucky that they sell the perfect solution to a problem we didn't know we had

Copper grease isn't a lubricant, it is just bunged on the back of the pads to stop chatter, you are correct that it shouldn't be used with aluminium, but most of us old duffers have been using the same tin for the last 40 years and never had a problem with steel bolts into aluminium, (however stainless steel into aluminium will never come back out, no matter what anti-seize you put on the threads)

• Haha
Reactions: Johnd
1 - 20 of 51 Posts