Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am having a problem with my Note (1.2 Acenta - 2016) and the dealer is unwilling (or unable) to find the fault.

It happens after about 50 miles of normal driving after which the front offside wheel develops a horrible squealing noise, which is much louder when turning to the right. The noise is loud enough to turn heads and it sounds like some type of "brake squeal". The noise disappears momentarily when the brake is depressed, but returns immediately afterwards.

It disappears again when the car is parked overnight and only returns after about 50 or so miles driving.

The dealer is stumped and says there is nothing wrong with the car and (as usual) they seem unable to replicate the fault conditions. They said the brakes and suspension are all fine and then charged me £100 for the trouble of looking at it. Don't you just love the dealers?

If anyone can offer any help, it would be greatly appreciated. The car has 21K miles on it and is just over 3 months old, so just out of warranty.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Davie

·
Registered
740 Posts
We had the same issue with the van i drive at work, turned out that the shop replaced the disks and callipers and the issue vanished.They said it was the calliper at fault which began to sieze when it got hot,the discs were pretty worn so they were replaced too.

It could also be that you have a sticking piston in the brake calliper which would keep one or both of the shoes pressed slightly against the disc making the squeal. If you're confident at diy on your motor it's an easy job to do both discs and callipers but remember to bleed the brake system after if you remove the callipers.
If you're quick, www.eurocarparts.com are doing 50% off brakes right now !

·
Registered
113 Posts
On our 2105 Note we had a slight grinding noise (not a squeek) that only appeared when turning right. I suspected a CV joint and took it to the dealer who after a 200 yd drive agreed and booked it in. Replacement drive shaft ordered and fitted the following week. But when they had done the job they rang to say it had not cured the noise, it was actually the NS shaft making the noise, they had replaced the OS shaft. So the NS shaft was ordered and fitted and noise gone.

All under warranty, no charges, no arguments. Top job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone and thanks for your advice. Turned out to be badly lipped discs. Replaced pads and discs and problem noise solved.

I was surprised they went after only 21K but never mind, all better now. Thanks again?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Glad it's sorted. It does appear from previous posts that other owners discs have been shot at 20k or so.
Mine did 34k before replacement but i guess the car didn't do too much short trip runs in it's early years..(motorway commute).

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Did you get discounted discs and pads from Euro Car Parts or GSF car parts? About 18 months back I got discs and pads including new pins and shims, it was just over£70.00 from ECP.
DID you get the Brembo type?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Hi everyone and thanks for your advice. Turned out to be badly lipped discs. Replaced pads and discs and problem noise solved.

I was surprised they went after only 21K but never mind, all better now. Thanks again?

Glad you are sorted but it is further evidence of the realy poor quality discs fitted on the Note.

The discs on my Ahambra were changed at....97,000 miles.

They were still very meaty and my local independent told me not to bother but I changed them as the car was 10 years old. It was only just starting to show wear on the second set of pads (originals changed at 72,000).

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of discs........and the Note has covered 250,000kl, almost. Original discs were rubbish, as were the pads. I use Brembo discs and pads. I would highly recommend them.:smile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,

Took it to a local indy and had the discs and pads changed for £179 total. I'm not asure what he used but I think that's not too bad?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Parts, labour, and then the 20% vat sounds about right.
The indy would always charge full retail price for parts, and i guess they generally slap the vat on the total.
I replaced mine a year ago with discs and pads at £54, on the drive. They've done 10k now with no lip... Just a mark.
(I commute mostly on the motorway and I'm always light on the brakes where possible.)
As the years go by I'll no doubt let the local indy do all the work... The self motivation slows down as i get older.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts