Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been reading the usual posts for 'performance' spark plugs.

7 years ago, I purchased a set of Champion sparkies, for my old 1.4 Nissan Sunny, but never actually fitted them. I did all the other usual servicing myself regularly.

Anyway, after nearly 110,000 miles I thought it might be an idea to get around to replacing them. So I blew the dust off the spark plug boxes, and set about replacing them.
I extracted all the old spark plugs, and wasn't surprised that the electrodes were in a really, really bad way.

Before changing them, I had no noticeable performance loss(although, I'm sure there was some).
It started and ran perfectly, no worries.

After replacing them, I still never noticed any performance improvement.(Although, I'm sure it must have), after using them for roughly 30,000 miles.

These plugs stayed in the car till it was traded in(2010), with the engine and plugs achieving nearly 250,00 miles. The engine never missed a beat.

When I bought the car from a car auction, it had 46,000 miles on the clock, with no service history.

So 2 sets of plugs in just over 200,000 miles, seems Ok to me.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
200,000 miles worth of petrol to the cost of two sets of plugs. lets do the maths petrol @1.36 and 35mpg = £7,777 app two sets of plugs = £40 app= 0.5% app. if new plugs gets you 36mpg you save £222.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure petrol was a lot less in those years previous, and here in Ireland it was 20% less than the UK. (Almost the same price now).

3 years UK driving(2000 - 2003), then 7 years driving in Ireland(2003 - 2010).

But, point taken. It still was a fantastic engine though.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
agreed was a good block, usually only failed with drasticaly poor maintenance i.e. none.
Modern plugs are more to do with quick even burn with weak mixturesfor lowemissions. The maths just shows how service item cost is so low in comparison to fuel and trying to save too much has very little affect on the overall cost, tie in purchase/depreciation/insurance costs etc and if you've not hanged yourself at this point, buy good quality components, as a small percentage improvement in fuel use will pay for them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts