Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Note 2009 dci86 owner on a budget
95 Posts
The problem is build quality. The note was built in Sunderland (to BL standards), not Japan to Toyota ones. ;)

Caught me out too, now if the VIN of a car doesn't start with a J I won't buy it :)
Is that the same foe E11 too, sunderland or J ?

·
Registered
2014 E12 DIG-S Manual
117 Posts
To be fair, water leak is rare on E12, unlike E11. Water leak could happen on much more expensive cars like Audi Etron.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Garage have looked again and are pretty certain it is windscreen seal but caveat is that only way to know is to replace it. In short a £500 fix might do nothing. It's clear there is a seam or seal not right somewhere.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Garage have looked again and are pretty certain it is windscreen seal but caveat is that only way to know is to replace it. In short a £500 fix might do nothing. It's clear there is a seam or seal not right somewhere.

If you can do without the car for a day or 3 , get an independant windscreen firm to remove the screen, a ( remove only ) cost shouldn't be that much , let the garage inspect the seal, address any issues rust etc then have screen refitted, and they are saying £ 500 seems very high to me, even replacing the screen via insur would be cheaper....!! IMO

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My insurance policy has a £100 excess charge for windscreen replacement.
It might be worth talking direct to autoglass or similar asking if they'll back a claim. Or otherwise you can accidentally belt the screen with a lump hammer..

·
Registered
95 Posts
My insurance policy has a £100 excess charge for windscreen replacement.
It might be worth talking direct to autoglass or similar asking if they'll back a claim. Or otherwise you can accidentally belt the screen with a lump hammer..
Or otherwise you can accidentally belt the screen with a lump hammer..

Which was my first thought about doing it the most " cost effective way" too ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Or otherwise you can accidentally belt the screen with a lump hammer..

Which was my first thought about doing it the most " cost effective way" too ;)
I've spoken with another windscreen company locally and they are going to do the refit for £80 so we will see if it is that.

They said that it can either be a hole in the glue which essentially gets bigger as water finds its way in OR that it was never sealed properly to begin with. Getting it done this week so will report back thereafter as to whether this resolves this long-standing issue!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've spoken with another windscreen company locally and they are going to do the refit for £80 so we will see if it is that.

They said that it can either be a hole in the glue which essentially gets bigger as water finds its way in OR that it was never sealed properly to begin with. Getting it done this week so will report back thereafter as to whether this resolves this long-standing issue!
Thats a fair price, back in 1995 i was a sales rep for auto windscreens and then a r and r was 40 quid, that's correct what youve been told as to a possible cause, but id not say it wasn't properly sealed from new, More likely its had a screen replacement in its life and that's where the fault........ IF it is that ,lays, Good Luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thats a fair price, back in 1995 i was a sales rep for auto windscreens and then a r and r was 40 quid, that's correct what youve been told as to a possible cause, but id not say it wasn't properly sealed from new, More likely its had a screen replacement in its life and that's where the fault........ IF it is that ,lays, Good Luck
Not impossible but the screen does have all the original stamps so if it was replaced it must have been by Nissan themselves as I understand OE replacements won't have stamp.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not impossible but the screen does have all the original stamps so if it was replaced it must have been by Nissan themselves as I understand OE replacements won't have stamp.
I wouldn't 100% as you say count it as a guarantee, in 2004/2005 i worked for Hella and we made the original headlights for the new passat at the time and there was zero difference between headlights going on production line and for gen spares, , the point i make is that an original was will have been made by lets say valeo, and so will the replacements, final point is when the car was made it will have had its screen fitted by a Robot, including the laying of the glue, any replacement even using a genuine nissan screen will have had the glue put on by Humans , and that's usually where the fault can be, if its a leaky seal, whichever/whatever good luck with it

21 - 31 of 31 Posts