Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my E12, I have been having some very subtle water ingress on the driver side footwell. I don't think it is an internal leak as it did dry out. It is appearing on the fabric trimmings near the wheel arch. I did notice that the wheel arch was missing two clips on the splash guard so have fixed this today, I'm not sure how likely that is to be related? The wet patch is fairly small but visible. I have felt behind but cannot for the life of me work out where it is coming from. Has anyone had this before? I've attached a picture which shows the water clearly visible and only appeared after washing the car.

Anyone experienced this or have any ideas? I am going to get it looked over by the garage but always helpful to try to narrow the issue if possible beforehand.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I have had a proper look and feels like it is actually coming from the very top. I am wondering if the scuttle drain and drain holes are possibly blocked. Does anyone have any literature or guidance as to how check these?

·
Registered
Note 2009 dci86 owner on a budget
213 Posts
I have had a proper look and feels like it is actually coming from the very top. I am wondering if the scuttle drain and drain holes are possibly blocked. Does anyone have any literature or guidance as to how check these?
Hmmm, have u tried you tube or a main dealer to ask where they are located?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
There are two drain holes, one each end of the scuttle, a bit of probing around will locate them. They usually block up with gunk and leaves etc the water then has nowhere to go except it has an uncanny knack of finding a way inside the car. If i remember, the holes actually drain onto the top of the shock towers ( or somewhere close by ). When you clear the holes try making them a little bigger with a drill bit.
The Note was also known for leaking around the windscreen and i believe around the foot pedals where they go through the firewall.
If i have any of this info mixed up then others with more knowledge of the leaking Note will let you know.
When i owned a Note, it leaked so much that it was constantly damp in the car and a dehumidifier would regularly take 1.5 to 2 litres of water out of the car. It did no good though as the car was always damp even in summer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are two drain holes, one each end of the scuttle, a bit of probing around will locate them. They usually block up with gunk and leaves etc the water then has nowhere to go except it has an uncanny knack of finding a way inside the car. If i remember, the holes actually drain onto the top of the shock towers ( or somewhere close by ). When you clear the holes try making them a little bigger with a drill bit.
The Note was also known for leaking around the windscreen and i believe around the foot pedals where they go through the firewall.
If i have any of this info mixed up then others with more knowledge of the leaking Note will let you know.
When i owned a Note, it leaked so much that it was constantly damp in the car and a dehumidifier would regularly take 1.5 to 2 litres of water out of the car. It did no good though as the car was always damp even in summer.
Thanks for this, this is really helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got rid of my Note for the exact reason you have ( well that reason and a few others ).
Perhaps the car should have been called the Nissan Sponge.
Cleaned out scuttle drains best that I could and without lifting the plastic casing off. Seemed to sort it for a single day before water leaked in again!

If it is the drains then it must need a deeper clean which I am hoping garage will have tools for. Water appears in same place in both front footwells and only when it rains so my suspicion is that water isn't draining away as quickly as it needs to. I'll report back once garage has looked in case it is of use to others.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Garage have had the scuttle drains off and cleared it all out. They checked seams around door as well. Now everything's clear it's a case of waiting for the next rain (this afternoon!) and seeing whether this has solved the problem or not ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Car is still getting wet. Spoke with garage and it will be going back next week. Next step is to look over the windscreen seal and see if this is the cause. If it is might need completely resealing. Investigations continue ...

·
Registered
Note 2009 dci86 owner on a budget
213 Posts
Update: Car is still getting wet. Spoke with garage and it will be going back next week. Next step is to look over the windscreen seal and see if this is the cause. If it is might need completely resealing. Investigations continue ...
Hi , At least removing and refitting/replacing a screen should not be costly if done through insurance, good luck

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
One way to do a test is to put a smoke machine inside the car with all doors and windows sealed. Activate machine and watch for any smoke exiting the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One way to do a test is to put a smoke machine inside the car with all doors and windows sealed. Activate machine and watch for any smoke exiting the car.
What gets me is that it is leaking into both front footwells in the same place. It's like a seal is missing somewhere. I'm not convinced it will be the windscreen but I hope it is as it means it can be fixed.

I've been reading other threads and seen some commonalities:

"was the seam on the inner wing. Took a few hours to remove wing and reseal."

And

"Problem is definitely now solved, it was an incomplete seal to the windscreen at the A pillar."

The amount of leak reports is really poor and it has put me off getting another Nissan ever again.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
As i said before, your fault with the car was the main reason i got shut of mine as soon as i could. My car was permanently damp inside, the seats were clammy when you sat on them, there was mould on some surfaces and even moss growing on the inside edge of the window seals. I never did find the cause, i simply didn't care about the car as i knew i was getting rid of it, i pity the poor sod that bought it though, he / she will have a nightmare of a car !
Also i too will never touch a Nissan car again EVER !

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The amount of leak reports is really poor and it has put me off getting another Nissan ever again.
The problem is build quality. The note was built in Sunderland (to BL standards), not Japan to Toyota ones. ;)

Caught me out too, now if the VIN of a car doesn't start with a J I won't buy it :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts