Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Note 1.5dci. The SatNav keeps saying please drive onto a road covered by....now the actual words fail me...lol but basically it seems not to recognise my location...strange as I was on the A1 on one occasion. It has given me a route previously but most times I just get the message you are not on a recognised digital road...just remembered the message...lol Any ideas? I've had the car less than 1 year.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I forget exactly, but if you tap the map screen there is something like "show position information" I bet you 5p that when you select it it will say ---------,---------- rather than give co-ordinates.

The connect is rubbish really, something goes wrong that reduces the sensitivity of the GPS receiver and it doesn't know where it is.

You can call up the service menu

Hold down the menu button, twizzle the right hand knob anti-clockwise, clockwise and anti-clockwise again.

EDIT: select system then select running system information

Then scroll down until you see this

Communication Device Gadget Mobile device Font Display device

If it says NO_FIX and satellites tracked is less than 4 then I'm right. (you need 3 satellites for a position fix in 3d, assuming you have a full World map, otherwise 4 have a single point solution)

Without a fix, it uses the speed pulses to calculate how far it has gone, and somehow gets a compass direction, so it estimates where it is on the map based on its last GPS fix, which is handy in a tunnel, but you don't realise until the error build up and you are literally miles from where the map shows.

A fix is to buy a GPS puck - the one with a blue plug, glue a piece of steel to the dash top and stick it on, then when the GPS is all confused, open the window and stick it to the roof until it gets the idea- which is what I do, and there was someone else on here who had to do the same..

Oh, mine thinks I live in France or something, as the GPS clock is always an hour fast, I've tried the daylight saving option and it makes it worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately, this is quite a common problem. The GPS aerial or the cable to it fails. User “mnl” has already described how to check this. If there is NO_FiX in GPS tracking and no satellites, then it usually means the aerial or connections have failed. The aerial can be replaced but it’s not a cheap fix. 🙁

·
Registered
2 Posts
My satnav lost it's mojo a few months ago and showed my position about 50 miles away from the actual spot, usually not on a road. The car is a 2011 NTec and not worth a replacement - the local garage won't even touch it. Recently I found that the clock was mysteriously using France time, as mentioned by MNL above. I corrected the time zone in the settings and bingo! the satnav immediately corrected itself. Evidently some kind of electronic glitch. Worth checking perhaps?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My satnav lost it's mojo a few months ago and showed my position about 50 miles away from the actual spot, usually not on a road. The car is a 2011 NTec and not worth a replacement - the local garage won't even touch it. Recently I found that the clock was mysteriously using France time, as mentioned by MNL above. I corrected the time zone in the settings and bingo! the satnav immediately corrected itself. Evidently some kind of electronic glitch. Worth checking perhaps?
Thanks for that. I will give it a try.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Amazingly, even though I knew the problem, it had never occurred to me to look for a "Time zone" setting- there is indeed one if you scroll down the clock settings.
And double amazingly, when I remembered to check today, it was set to Paris! :)

So my clock is now correct, for the first time in years. Why it had set itself to Paris, I've no idea, it was fine for the first few years I had it.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts